Search

Ireland Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Dilemma

My wife and I are planning a trip to Ireland in June. However, we are wanting to use hotel points for our stay and the two hotels available are in Templepatrick and Kilkenney. We are planning for 7 nights and are trying to decide what the best itinerary would be: staying in one and basing the trip there or splitting the trip between the two. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:26 AM

I recently spent 3 nights in Kilkenny. It was a very good base location and we were able to do a number of day trips from there.. Cashel, Dublin, Waterford and many other sights are easy day trips.

We have never been to Northern Ireland so I can't be of any assistance regarding Templepatrick.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:07 AM

This really is a dilemma!

For only 7 days I would stay in one place and take day trips. Many places in both areas to visit.

If money is no object then it really does not matter which location you stay at but if it is then realize that the exchange rate between the US and English pounds is not that great. (not too hot for US to Euros either but better than sterling.) When we were in NI in April the exchange rate was $1.62 -- 1.68 for one English pound. It went a lot higher that summer.

It seems too that your choice is where you want to stay; more country or more city?

I don't know much about Templepatrick but looked it up and it was listed as "Templepatrick Hotel Country Club Is 10 Minutes From Belfast International Airport, 15 Minutes From Belfast City Airport And Belfast City Centre" If this is the same one then...
Belfast is a big city with all the nightlife and shopping but noise and traffic that bigger cities come with. Kilkenny is a good sized city with 80 or so pubs (according to Formmers) but not nearly as many restaurants or shopping to be had.

With the long daylight hours you will be getting in June you will have plenty of time to drive far afield and make it back to your hotel whenever you like in the evening. Is the Giant's Causeway or beautiful Donegal more to your idea of Ireland or would you like to drive the Ring of Kerry, Kiss the Blarney Stone or visit Dublin for a day?

It is a difficult decision to make and I don't envy you in the process but which ever one you choose know that you will have an amazing time either way. It's just hard to NOT have a great vacation when you go to Ireland.

Enjoy!

Wendy

[email protected]
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:13 AM

You could feasible stay in both, but the drive between the two is almost 200 miles. AA lists it at a 4 hour drive which is too conservative. Figure 6 hours and you'll be safe. Depends a lot on traffic in Dublin.

There is quite a bit too see near Kilkenny though you wouldn't really get much of the famous west coast. The Ring of Kerry and Dingle make for a pretty full day and you would be spending a lot of time sitting in a car. There are some beautifull areas in the east and if I may add to some of the suggestions, Glendalough, Hook Head and some some nice spots along the Irish coast. Jerpoint Abbey is very near Kilkenny as is Thomastown.

Driving in NI is substantially quicker than the Republic, but still not as quick as the States. From Templepatrick, which appears to be a distant suburb of Belfast, you could see some of the Glens of Antrim, drive the spectacular Antrim coast road and the more terrifying Torr Road. You could certainly make it to the northern Antrim coast but I think a daytrip to Donegal from Belfast would be a stretch, plus there is so much to see there, you wouldn't want to go back to your hotel.

You could consider spending one day in a B&B in between the two destinations to lessen the drive. You could use that time to see Newgrange and the Boyne Valley. I would suggest Newgrange as early in the day as possible as the tours fill up quickly. From there you could make it to Templepatrick in about 3 hours.

Not sure when your plane leaves, and I assume it leaves from Dublin. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to make it back to the airport.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bill
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. My wife and I have decided to stay in Kilkenney for our first five nights and then spend the last two in Dublin. If you have any other suggestions it would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Lots of great places to see and visit in Kilkenny and nearby. As to which you should go to...well, that depends on your likes and interests. We like to drive around the countryside so would have no problem making long trips. A bonus for you is that because you are staying at a hotel if you come home late in the evening you won't have to be concerned that you are waking the house up when you get in - unless of course you are too noisy outside your neighbors' rooms!

In Kilkenny
------------
Castle & tour
Design Center
walking tours available

Nearby
-------
Jerpoint Abbey
Woodstock in nearby Inistioge
Thomastown = one of the "prettiest" towns in Ireland, so too Inistioge
Dunmore Cave
Kells Priory

In Tipperary
-------------
Cahir Castle = excellent!
Rock of Cashel

Wexford
--------
Irish National Heritage Park
Coast drive esp around Hook Head.
Wildfowl Reserve

Check out www.southeastireland.travel.ie

You still have many places further west as well as north including Co Wicklow you can check out.

Have a great trip!

Wendy
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 10:22 AM
cd

It's been a year since we've been in Ireland but what I remember the most is the countryside and small towns. The rugged coast of Dingle and Slea Head, the stone fences and ruins everywhere, the peat fires and music in the pubs. The narrow roads and free roaming sheep. Dublin was okay, but we loved the west. My one suggestion is to BE SURE to take Fabreeze with you. The pubs have tons of cigarette smoke that permeates your clothing.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 07:30 AM

novace,

The prospect of spending a week in the southeast of Ireland sounds wonderful, and you're bound to have a memorable stay.

Allow me to second the sentiments of Waffle concerning the highlights of the County Kilkenny countryside. This is a relatively untouristy area, one that features a lush, rolling geography and quaint villages.

Inistioge was the site for much of the filming of Maeve Binchy's Circle of Friends, and it's a stroller's delight.

Moreover, the village of Bennetsbridge is home to the superb Nicholas Mosse Pottery. Here you can purchase some first-rate pottery (the shop is most attractive), along with relaxing and having a bite to eat in the Mosse cafe.

Just outside Thomastown is the elegant and thought-provoking remains of Jerpoint Abbey.

Finally, north of Thomastown, make a point of seeking-out Kilfane Glen. This is an attractive refuge, one that features a woodland garden, waterfall, cottage orne, and , perhaps most importantly, an opportunity to simply sit and contemplate your vacation - and beyond. Upon leaving Kilfane, make a quick stop to see the striking 14th century Cantwell Effigy, a stone carving of a Norman knight in full armor.

Best of luck.