Reload this Page >

Ireland by foot and car

Search

Ireland by foot and car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 11:01 AM
Tom Fortin

Ireland by foot and car

I just completed a 17 day trip to Ireland from Austin, Texas(29 June to 16 July). First two days were spent in Dublin. The next 8 on a self guided walking tour of the Ring Of Kerry; Glenbeigh to Killarney via Cahersiveen, Waterville, Caherdaniel, Sneem, Kenmare, and Killarney. Then hire car to Doolin, the Burren, and on to Connemara. Returned to Dublin for last few days. Carried one pack that would fit in aircraft overhead compartment and stayed in B&B accommodation. Would be happy to share insights on trip.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 07:41 PM
Denisse

Hi! <BR> <BR>I would love to benefit from your recent travel experience! I'm visiting Ireland for 6-7 days--specifically, the West coast. We are starting in Ennis (off the rail station) then Lisdoonvarna, then the Aran Islands, and finally Galway. <BR> <BR>Where did you rent a car? We wanted to pick up a car in Ennis and drop it off in Doolin...did you have flexibility in drop off and pickup points? What company did you use? Basically, we wanted to use the car to explore the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher before catching a ferry to the Aran Islands. <BR> <BR>What were the not-to-be-missed parts of your Ireland journey? <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 07:43 PM
Denisse

Hi again, <BR> <BR>Forgot to ask you one more question...where did you stay when you explored the Burren? Any B&B recommendations? <BR> <BR>Thanks for you help!!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 10:28 AM
W Calhoun

Please tell me what to see and do outside of Dublin for my August trip...

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 08:09 PM
jeremy

i am interested in your impressions of Kenmare as I have been told it is better then Kinsale for a base town in a west cork trip this sept.Were there lots of pubs,restaurants and historic and traditional accomodations?Thanks,Jeremy.My wife and i will be on our honeymoon!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 07:29 AM
Denisse

Hi- <BR> <BR>Sorry for the late reply, hope this gets to you intime. I rented my car in Killarney from Hertz. I returned it to them at the Dublin airport. There was a small charge for dropping off at a diferent location than the pick up. I explored the buren from a BandB in Doolin. the St. Anthony. There is a short ferry ride from to Doolin To Inisheer. No cars allowed. The Inkeeper at St. Anthony (John) can make arrangements for you to stqay overnoight on the Island if you wish. Not to be missed parts -- mostly weather dependent. The Cliffs of Moher, The walk from Kenmare to Killarney. Connemara. <BR> <BR>Good Luck!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 07:35 AM
jeremy

Hi - <BR>Sorry about the delay in answering. Hope this gets to you in time to be helpful. I really liked Kenmare relative to Killarney can't speak for Kinsale. Kenmare is not yet as spoiled as some other palces. Plenty of Pubs and <BR>restaurants. B&B accommodations are easy to get.

Old Sep 19th, 1998, 08:58 PM
Colleen

Okay, I just came back from a 12 day stay in Ireland. I do not drive so I either bussed it or walked. Lisdoonvarna (although boring in itself) is a good place to stay when exploring the Burren (by car). I stayed in Doolin (only 4 miles from Lisdoonvarna) and walked to there and the Cliffs. Walking anywhere in Ireland should be done with caution. They drive fast there and the roads are narrow. Not to mention that some of them in the rural areas (like Doolin) have very little, if any street lights. I am an unusual case, since most people DO drive, but not having a car didn't hinder me too much, since you can get a bus anywhere, or hitch (which is quite safe, especially in the Republic.) <BR>