Ireland, Bunratty Folk Park, who knew?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrived last Thursday early, checked in to our new favorite B&B, Bunratty Haven, and decided to do the Castle and Folk Park. All 4 of us were amazed that we enjoyed the whole experience! The Castle is good, but the Folk Park way surpassed our expectations. The warm and early spring meant the wisteria and even roses were in full bloom. Took lots of pix (I am addicted to shots with red things in them) and stopped for a cooling adult beverage. All in all, well worth the time! Of course, we finished the day at Durty Nellies for a couple of pints of Guinness and some salmon. Nice last day to another wonderful trip to Ireland.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:53 PM

CaymanSue,

I hear you. Lots of folks on this board pan the Folk Park as corney and a Tourist Trap, but it DOES have a lot going for it.
On our first trip in 1999, the Folk Park was OUR last stop. My wife and I had brought her sister, brother and father, to meet relatives and see the places where my father-in-law's father was born and raised. Here's what I wrote about it:

"There is a photograph prominently displayed on the wall in my family room. In it there is an old man, walking along a high stonewall. He is seen from the back, at the far end of a long gravel path. He is wearing a gray trench coat and an old, green cap. In his right hand is a blackthorn cane. There is greenery all around and ahead, and it reaches up and disappears into a fine, gray mist. That photograph never fails to evoke a strong reaction from all those who see it. I find it interesting that most women are taken by a sense of sadness. It implies a finality, an ending, to them. Yet, most men have an entirely different impression. Like me, they see in it a journey, a continuation, but I alone, see much, much more.
I see my eighty year old Father-in-Law, on the last day of our first ever trip to Ireland. I see him walking down that path in the Bunratty Folk Park, hurrying on ahead to see what lies around the next corner. I see irrefutable proof that Dreams Do Come True and that Hope really does Spring Eternal. "

I haven't toured the Folk Park since, but it remains a cherished place, in my memory. It was a Magical Moment, the likes of which I may never experience again. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Who Knew?, INDEED.

Bob

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM

What a lovely and touching post, Bob!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Bob,

I've said this for years, you write so well. I've always enjoyed the folk park. When I take people now, I might sit and have tea while they look around.

My Best, Joan
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I enjoy the folk park at Bunratty more than the castle. In recent years, they've added the manor house on the hill overlooking the park.

Yes, it's touristy, but it's done right. FYI - if you go in May, you might hit a lot of school groups on field trips between 10a-1p.

Bob - great memory, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Thank you, Bob, for a beautifully evocative post and thank you, CaymanSue, for this thread. I was seriously considering excluding Bunratty Folk Park from our trip next year even though we will probably be staying close to there. However, we will definitely add it to our list, probably at the beginning of our stay. Sounds like a good introduction to Ireland.

Age-old question: Why do we shy away from "touristy" things when we are, in fact, tourists?