Search

Ireland-Best Of

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Pam

Ireland-Best Of

Going to Dublin on Business Trip with husband in mid November. Have just three days prior to meetings to explore the country. PLEASE help with intinery. Favorite things to do & see are Scenic drives, fun pubs, quaint villages & romantic hotels/inns. Will arrive early morn into Dublin and plan to rent a car and hit the road. Recommendations of Places to see, stay, eat & drink PLEASE. Reading all the guides but past experience leads me back to you guys for the best ideas.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:58 AM
bill

With just three days to explore, don't plan on going from from Dublin. The days are very short in November. Great weather is unlikely, though it can happen.<BR><BR>You may or may not be aware, but jumping in a car afetr a trans-atlantic flight and driving a lot may be a problem. For most people (not all) serious jet lag hits after about 4 hours of driving. Driving distances seem very short, but it takes a long time to get around the country. You can expect to average about 35 MPH and that's if you don't stop much.<BR><BR>From Dublin, you could easily get down to the Glendalough area and Kilkenny and even Cahir and Cashel. I wouldn't expect to spend time on the west coast (everybody's favorite) with only three days to work with in November.<BR><BR>That said, if you could arrange to fly into Shannon and out of Dublin, you could see a bit of the west coast before high tailing it to Dublin. Most airlines don't charge more for that option and usually it is a bit less because taxes are less flying into Shannon. If you could do that, you would have a few more options.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Steve

Yep, agree with Bill. BE CAREFUL if you plan to drive shortly after you arrive. Kilkenny, Cahir, Cashel are good recommendations. I enjoyed Galway - Get on the N4 out of Dublin . . .<BR><BR>I also think that flying into Shannon is a good idea. I was there in early December 1998 and though the days were short, we saw plenty . . . <BR><BR>Steve

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Ann

In three days, you won't get very far. I'd stay close to Dublin. Kilkenny would be as far as I would go (it's a great town to spend time in). If you love cities, just spend that time exploring Dublin. If you'd rather get out into the countryside, head for the the Wicklow Mountains. Not too far outside Dublin up in the Wicklows is a pub called Johnny Foxes. It's a bit touristy, but not over the top--besides, the food's good and there's a nice atmosphere. Bill mentioned Glendalough--don't miss it. Powerscourt Gardens are worth a look. If you like to hike, part of the Wicklow Way (a series of connected trails) takes you up above the gardens to what I've heard is a spectacular view. I had the misfortune to make that climb on a very foggy day.<BR><BR>Can't help with accommdation, as I've only really spent time in the Wicklow's while hiking, which meant mainly staying in youth hostels in the middle of nowhere near the trail.<BR><BR>If your husband's company is flying you business or first class, you'll have no trouble sleeping on the way over, and then therefore should have no trouble with jet lag when you arrive.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:47 AM
t

Three days do you want to go outside of Dublin. You have the nearby wicklow mountains.<BR><BR>I feel that I never really experienced Ireland until I made it to the Cliffs of Morh.Town called Doolin great new traditional muscians pop out of this town. the burren is also in this area. This is in clare 5-7 hours to the west of Dublin. If I only had 3 days this is where I would want to be.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:33 PM
zzz

Look into the Hunters Hotel in the Wicklow area about 30 miles south of Dublin. They have a web site.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Mel

Dalkey is a great little town just south of Dublin. Personally, I spent four days in Dublin and found that to be two days too long. People are especially lovely in the small towns and the pubs are much more friendly.