Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland - Base for Sheep’s Head and Mizen Head?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be a good base to visit Sheep’s Head and Mizen Head peninsulas? We will be there for 2 nights (part of a 14 days trip in Ireland) and I have no idea where to stay in the area. I was thinking of Baltimore, but there are not too many B&Bs there…

Please recommend either a town or a B&B that would make sense as a good base. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM

Hi xyz99, Here's the B&B that I was talking to you about that HappyCheesehead stayed at when we met them a couple of years back. They really, really liked this place.

http://www.fortviewhousegoleen.com/index2.html

Happy hunting. You'll love the area. Drive down some of the unmarked roads that lead to the water, and you will see some wonderful views. On the way back from Mizen Head, there's a road marked "Scenic" -- take it.

The one thing I didn't get to do because of the weather was to walk down to the lighthouse at the end of Sheep's Head. I understand it was nice but a little muddy.

Great seeing you guys at the GTG. Hope you had a good time.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi Budman,
Thanks for the website – we’ll definitely look into it. I emailed Annette and we’ll get a room at The Shores

Yes, we had a great time at the GTG (as always) – was great seeing you, too.

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM

Bantry Bay is the perfect base, it is a beatiful place with many litle pubs and resturants around Wofle tone Square. Steeped in history (French Armada invasion of December, 1796.) then there is bnatry house with it's gardens.
http://www.cork-guide.ie/bantry.htm

It does aslo depend on where you coming from in the first place I would assume through kenmare?
After your driving trips in the day en you can park up in Bantry Bay have a nice stroll around teh habour and the bat it'self then go for some food and a drink in one of the many pubs.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM

Sorry that should say Bantry the town in Bantry Bay.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Crazychick,
Bantry is one of the places I was looking into. A lot of people on this board seem to love it, but none seem to have stayed there. Can you or anybody else recommend a B&B in Bantry?
Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:53 AM

xyz99
You don't say when your going. If its warm Wx I would ask you give Baltimore another chance. I have been there about nine times in the summer and it is a great place. Lots of Pubs and places to eat with a lovely square right on the water to relax and have a pint. If its cold Wx go some place else. Bantry is Ok and you might give Glengarigg a look. Have fun.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:22 AM

Heron's Cove is a lovely B/B in Goleen.
The dinner at night is superb. It is a quiet area but is very easy to get to Bantry, Baltimore or Schull
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:29 AM

I stayed at a place called the Channel View (http://www.channelviewbb.com/)in Baltimore and it was perfectly acceptable. It is either a long walk or a short drive into the village. The community is beautiful though it rained every minute we were there in May. From Baltimore you are pretty close to Castletownshend and Mary Ann's Pub which has wonderful banoffee if they've made it that day.

I've also stayed at the Galley Cove Inn (http://www.galleycovehouse.com/)in Crookhaven which was nice. Crookhaven is smaller than Baltimore but has my favorite pub, O'Sullivan's.

I've alss heard good things about the Fort View House. The Heron's Cove gets high marks though the owner tends to be a bit strange. Her help is very nice. When the tide is in, the view out the back is lovely, when it is out, it's a mud field. http://www.heronscove.com/

Bill
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:44 AM

We stayed at Heron's Cove our last trip. The room was very worn. The view is great if the tide in, but if the tide is our, you are overlooking mud. We didn't eat there, but they had a nice menu.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM

I have stayed in Bantry many times,but with friends as they lived there for 5 years and we often went for weekends. Sorry I can't recommend one to stay, and they have now moved away. There is the Bantry Bay Hotel a small hotel with a pub that servers wondeful food.I have not stayed in the hotel so can not comment on that I have eaten in there and it was a very nice homemade pub food. ( That was about 4 years ago thou) So hopefully someone else may say if that has changed or not.
This seems like a nice B& B and a few minutes walk to Wofle tone Square in the town.
http://www.leytonbb.com/bed_breakfasts_location.html

Not sure if this site will also help
http://www.westcork.ie/accomrslts.asp
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM

I agree with Budman on Heron'd Cove. I liked Galley Cove better.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

All,
Thank you so much for all the recommendations! I will look into each and one of them during the weekend (since all my Fodor’s and planning time is generally during the weekend).

JohnOD,
You are right – I should’ve offered more details. I did, but on a different post. Anyway, we will be there in August, so we will have plenty of daylight. We will be coming from Kenmare – stay 2 nights at the ‘base’ – then leave for Cashel.

Wojazz,
Galley Cove sounds great for Mizen head, but what do you think about if as a base for Sheep’s head?
Thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM

I have stayed at Galley Cove too. The upstairs rooms are very small with tight bathrooms. The older rooms downstairs are a bit worn. There are two rooms downstairs that are newer and larger. They could have used more heat in the morning (I am not a cold sensetive person). The dining room at breakfast was frigid. I had a look at Fortview and although I have not stayed there, I liked it better.

As for Heron's Cove I don't understand the appeal. I found the rooms very worn and not that clean. They are greatly in need of an update. I have not eaten dinner there but you do not have to stay to book a dinner reservation.

Happy B&B hunting.