Ireland and England - possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to plan a trip for next Spring sometime. I have been to Ireland before and would like to return. Also though I want to try to make it over to England as well (Cornwall in particular). Does anyone have any ideas as to if this is reasonable to do in approx 7-9 days? If so any ideas on how to work it (where to fly into and where to fly out of and what towns would I need to use to ferry from Ireland and into where in England). Thanks soooo much to all!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:49 PM

You are only talking about a week+. Trying to squeeze in two countries on such a short trip doesn't really work very well.

Travel around Cornwall is, if anything, even slower than travel around Ireland. Don't try to spread too thin.

Cornwall/Devon are wonderful. So are other parts of England, So is Ireland. I can't tell you which one is best for you - but I'd definitely choose ONE.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Have you considered spending time in Wales instead of Cornwall? You can just take the ferry to Wales from Dublin. I imagine you'll need to travel a bit from Holyhead to get to the interesting parts of Wales, but it'll be much easier to get there from Ireland.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:18 PM

If you want to go to Cornwall, there are regular flights from Dublin to Newquay and from Dublin and Cork to Plymouth.

Virtually every Irish town with a population over seven has an airport with at least daily low-cost flights to a few London airports and to Manchester and Birmingham. I may have forgotten one or two, but that includes Derry, Belfast, Dublin, Waterford, Cork, Shannon, Kerry, Galway, Knock, Sligo and Donegal

Virtually every English town with a population over seven hundred has at least daily low-cost flights to Dublin, and usually to half a dozen other Irish towns.

Unless you really, really want to drive across a great wodge of Britain, ferries are time-consuming and a great deal more expensive than planes.

Apart from the Dublin-Liverpool ferry, all ferries go to Wales or Scotland and require several hours to get anywhere remotely interesting in England, even after the several hours of ferry.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all - I am still in the early planning stages so say I do still decide to do both Ireland and Cornwall...

**flanneruk**
Thanks for the info about the flights, but now I have another question. I can't find info about who flies from Cork/Shannon/Dublin to either Newquay or Portsmouth. Do you have any websites that will have this info or can you tell me what airlines flies between these towns? Thanks again for the info!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:20 AM

the airports each have websites that show "destinations" either on the main website or by clicking on the various airlines that serve the airport . . . . . .
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
butterflygirl, The city flanner mentioned is "Plymouth" not "Portsmouth." Google Air Wales and/or Air Southwest and you'll get an idea of the flights available.

I tend to agree with janis that it's an ambitious trip. Do you have 7-9 full days of touring or does that range include you day to fly in and out?

Good luck on your planning!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Go to expedia.com or travelocity.com and try flying from London to Dublin or Belfast. I recently booked a multi-destination flight from London to Dublin and then on to Glasgow a few days later for $196.00 CDN. You should be able to find what your looking for here.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all for the info! Most helpful!