Ireland

Nov 23rd, 2001, 01:11 PM
kenann

Ireland

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Ireland which wil include 6 nites,one of which is at dromoland Castle near Shannon. we are deciding on whether to fly into dublin stay 2 nites, drive to galway for 2 nites with the final evening in dromoland or ignore dublin altogether and spend 2 nitesin galway,2 in killarney and the final nite at dromoland. Please help with some suggestions.

Nov 23rd, 2001, 01:43 PM
natalie

Some may disagree with me but I don't think you need to visit Dublin. It is just like any other metropolitain city albeit Ireand of course. The real beauty is in the countryside. Your second choice sounds great. I stayed in Dromoland one night and I dream of going back, it's so beautiful. The rest of the itinerary sounds good too. Have a great time!

Nov 23rd, 2001, 01:45 PM
Erin

I agree--stick with the west/south coasts. Galway is my favorite county in Ireland. Enjoy--I am jealous!!

Nov 23rd, 2001, 04:59 PM
eileen

We spent two weeks in Ireland in july as far as I am concerned you could skip the cities altogether, our best experiences were in the towns and villages.
if I had to choose between Dulin and galway I would choose Dublin.

Nov 23rd, 2001, 06:01 PM
Joe

What do you like more, cities or beautiful countryside? We think Dublin (and the area around) was a wonderful experience. But, staying at Killarney would give you an opportunity to see the Dingle Penninsula (our preference) or The Ring of Kerry or both. Again, cities or countryside.

Nov 23rd, 2001, 06:29 PM
Gayle

They're right; the beauty of Ireland is in the countryside. Dublin was interesting, but only after you've spent enough days enjoying the SW coast.

Nov 23rd, 2001, 06:54 PM
xxx

The Ring of Kerry was ok, but not at all up to all of the hype you hear about it. There are a lot of drives in the US that far exceed the scenery on this drive.

Nov 23rd, 2001, 07:23 PM
carmen

Skip Dublin--this time. It's a wicked long drive and not worth it for such a fairly short stay. Enjoy the West Coast and hit Dublin on another trip. Dromoland is fabulous! So are Killarney, Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula. Didn't go to Galway, but have heard good things.

Enjoy!

Nov 24th, 2001, 04:48 AM
jake

Ireland is fun. east and west. north and south.

Nov 24th, 2001, 06:42 AM
xxx

I like the quaint small towns better than Dublin or Cork. They all look exactly like what you would think they should look like. BTW, we're going for nine days, the second trip in two years.