Reload this Page >

~INVITATION~ From a Man in a Black Cape

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Dr. Betty Fordor

Dear Fodorphiles, <BR> <BR>Since my photographic debut a couple of weeks ago, I have had countless offers from around the globe to leave the drudgery of common every day life and embark on a journey to mysterious places, clouded by the mists of time. The Gypsy Davey was the first to come strolling by, suggesting I leave my husband and baby, but I declined, as my heart is well served here at home. However today, a most distinguished character is at my door, dressed all in black and sporting a fine cape with satin lining. He says we could be secretly married at the Biserica Neagrã and have our reception at the Resturentul Cetate (apparently he has some family connections here) and then to complete the evening, a honeymoon suite at the Alpin or the Holiday Inn Resort Sinaia. All of this could happen in a flash and I could be home before anyone knew I was gone. <BR> <BR>So my good Fodorite friends, tell me, what should I do? I'm really only interested in sightseeing and am a wee bit concerned that this flash in time may be pushing it. How much time will I need to see all of Transylvania? Is this one place where you don't want to wear black? Are white wedding dresses allowed in the church? Can I take my pet bat as carry on in First Class? Should I stay at the Alpin or the Holiday Inn? How is the food at Cetate? I rely on your great wisdom and worldly experience to help make this a travel experience that will haunt me for the rest of my life. <BR> <BR>Dr. Betty <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Sherry

By all means take your pet as long as it is not a pig and you are not flying US Airways! Remember the note from your doctor saying it is a therapeutic(did I spell that right?) animal. I myself could never resist a guy in a cape! Good luck.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:28 AM
Rex

I think that the pig incident may have spell doom for bat-therapied passengers, canary-carrying miners, and that kid who used live, eat and sleep with Gentle Ben. <BR> <BR>If boars are not allowed in first class, are the days numbered for boors? and bores? <BR> <BR>Keep smiling... <BR> <BR>... and don't space out too much between your Prolixin shots, Anne... <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Dr. Betty Fordor

Sherry, <BR> <BR>What happens when you are the doctor? Can you write notes for yourself requesting therapeutic treatment not available to other passengers? <BR> <BR>And Rex, <BR>I have not got a clue as to what you are talking about. The only Ben I know is Big Ben in London. And the man in the cape claims he can dispense whatever medication I may need.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Sherry

You are in BIG trouble. Not only a black cape, but a man who promises he can dispense whatever you need. I think if you are the doctor you could write the note, just don't get caught!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Cindy

Dr. Betty, <BR> <BR>I hope I got here in time. Whatever you do, DO NOT be seduced by the man in the black cape. Look closely. Is he carrying a scythe? Run for your life -- he's the Grim Reaper! Something would happen in a flash, all right, but you wouldn't be coming home any time soon. Besides, there's no way that scythe would fit in the overhead compartment, so he'd have to check it, and that would really slow you down. <BR> <BR>Glad I could help.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 09:11 AM
Dr. Betty Fordor

Cindy, <BR>What do you take me for, a Fool (that's a rhetorical question)? It may have taken me a life time but I can certainly distinguish the Count from the <BR>hooded specter of death. The fact that he was minus the cowl was a dead give away. But I'm getting pretty hungry and if no one comes up soon with a good resturant recommendation for the country in question, I just may have to wing it. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 09:57 AM
xxx

Where's Buffy the Vampire Slayer when we need her?

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Freaks

You people are all so weird!!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 11:19 AM
SharonM

I am so often appalled at the insensitive remarks that people post in here! Really. If Dr. B had wanted info on taking a pig, she would have stated so. (be serious!!!) <BR>Anyway, Dr. Betty, I really believe this guy is probably not Romanian at all, but is the Sandeman Guy. Was he holding a glass of port wine? <BR> <BR>As far as bringing your bat in-cabin with you, check with the airline. I believe as long as you have it in a carrier that fits under your seat you'll have no problem. Make sure the bat can stand up and has plenty of space to turn around (or it might get a fatal blood clot). Not sure about quarantine time for bats in wherever you end up, but I think you'll need to get a permission slip from the state department of agriculture, as well as the vet, allowing you to take it, as it probably has not gotten a rabies shot, and because of the nature of the breed, may need to get an HIV test. <BR> <BR>I hope this has helped a bit. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you should need any further (helpful) assistance. <BR> <BR>PS. How much did it actually cost to get your pic on Fodors, and not including Sandeman, were there any other cuties comin' to call?

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Bridetobe

I have seen other posters planning weddings in Europe, so what's the matter <BR>with considering a wedding in one of Romania's most beautiful western provinces, Transylvania. I don't know if the Black Church would be my choice, but it certainly would make for an interesting wedding album.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Had enough

Oh, that's just great! Now we have someone who wants to bring her screeching, hissing, drooling bat on the plane with me. Listen up, folks. If you decide to have one of those things, you just leave it at home. I pay good money to go on vacation, and I don't need to share my space with your bat. Bat owners today have no sense at all!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Dr. Betty Fordor

Dear SharonM <BR> <BR>Thank you for your kind support. I am frequently in need of helpful assistance, otherwise why in the world would I be posting on this forum. Most of the time I get answers to my questions when I remember to be clear, concise and right to the point. But at other times, I have flights of imagination and can get seriously bogged down with details. One fear I have is of the curious passenger in the seat next to me, who may want to let the bat out of the cage when I go to use the loo. I just don't think my nerves could handle that type of commotion and the guilt I would feel if it jeopardized people's safety, let alone any fine dining experience they were hoping for. At least when dogs and pigs poop you can look for it on the ground and avoid stepping on it. Not the case with bats. Have you ever had a flight where everyone on the plane was mad at you? I have and it's pretty hard to live it down. <BR> <BR>Now SharonM, I didn't have to pay to get my pics up on the screen, so if you want yours up there, you just let me know and I'll get it arranged. I must have missed something along the way, because who is Sandeman? I signed a contract at Fodors not to gossip about them and I will have to honor that. You can check out David Downing's hosted forum on NYC right now. Go on now, check it out and ask him some questions. <BR> <BR>I'm still waiting for a good restaurant recommendation in Transylvania. Has no one ever been there? Too scared? Too superstitious? <BR> <BR>Dr. Betty

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Buyer

As an animal lover I suggest you double-check the quarantine procedures for bats entering Romania. You certainly wouldn't want to cause trauma and/or separation anxiety to manifest itself in your flying mammal. Also, I recall reading somewhere that all bats were required to be muzzled while in European train stations.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 04:19 PM
itty-bitty

Ahhhh... Halloween at last! Here at the itty-bitty muzzle factory, better known in the retail trade as "Muzzles 'R Us" we have had a surge of requests for our minutest of muzzles. Seems the Fodor people, now travelling with their pet bats to Eastern Europe, have requested so many that we are backlogged until next year. Overnight shipments are no longer available, but order now, as supplies for next year are going fast. <BR>For those of you lucky enough to have purchased this rare item in time, please remember to read the WARNING label: Remove muzzle to feed bat, wear hard rubber gloves made out of recylced tires, and then, the final outer glove of chain mesh is imperative in order to avoid fatal injury. <BR> <BR>Travel Safely <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:16 PM
Rex

Because this forum is nothing, if not a repository for trivia - - Gentle Ben was a television show, whose particulars are as follows: <BR> <BR>USA / CBS-Ivan Tors / 56x25m-e / 1967-69 <BR> <BR>Producers: Ivan Tors, Andy White, George Sherman <BR> <BR>Drama series. Young Mark Wedloe, son of Game Warden Tom Wedloe, befriends a young grizzly bear. <BR> <BR>With:- DENNIS WEAVER as Tom Wedloe / CLINT HOWARD as Mark Wedloe / VERA MILES as Elen Wedloe / BETH BRICKELL as Elen Wedloe <BR> <BR>courtesy of www.tvchronicles.com/kidstvg.htm <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 07:14 AM
SharonM

Sorry for the delay, Dr.B. <BR>I've been fighting off a murder of crows. <BR>So now, where were we? <BR>Oh yea...Sandeman. Actually, it's "Don" Sandeman (you might catch a glimpse of him on www.sandeman.com). You'll recognise him by his cape and glass of port(o). Can't tell if he has bad teeth or not... (He's quite mysterious!) The point is, I just don't want you to fall for the first cape clad man that comes a callin' at your door. He could be anyone! <BR>And, NOOOOO! I'm not too scared to go to Transylvania! In fact, last time I was there, was about this time last year! There's a wonderful restaurant called The Stake and Impale (some sort of restaurant chain in Romania, I hear). Wonderful flesh and drink and the bar maids are all in traditional garb. <BR>As far as the potential problems you may have with your bat being molested by your seat companion, I think itty bitty's muzzle-on-a-leash idea should suffice quite well. (visions of bat kites...) <BR>And Rex, what are you babbling about? <BR>Gentle Ben? Isn't that the guy that does rice? <BR> <BR>Oh, and Dr. B... I'm far too shy to approach David Downing all by my lonesome. What if he thinks I'm wierd?

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:19 AM
elvira

The last flight (airplane, not broom) that I took with my bat, I ordered a special meal for him, and they served him RAW MEALY GRUBS and nothing else! Does anyone know where I would find bat food in London, or should I bring my own? Dr B, you might want to check that same issue re Transylvania. <BR> <BR>Might I suggest a lovely b&b, the Poor Manors? Staffed by a crew of insufferable boors and character assassins, you'll find your stay as memorable as your flight. <BR> <BR>As for wedding attire, boots of Spanish leather and pigskin gloves would be nice. At the reception, why not something quaint like a campfire and someone playing a big guitar? <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:28 AM
Dr. Betty Fordor

Dial M for Sharon, <BR> <BR>Thank you so much Sharon for cautioning me not to go with just any old black cape. I've been involved in a little craft project involving the whittling of a stake like structure that will protect me from harm. I hope I don't have to use it. I loved your restaurentul recommendation. Indeed Sharon, you represent the best well traveled woman around this joint. <BR> <BR>Should you want personal introductions to the Fodor staff please contact me and I will email you my "How to Get Up Close and Personal With Famous People." It's a short read. <BR> <BR>Thanks Again, <BR>Dr. Betty

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 10:06 AM
SharonM

Consider yourself contacted, Dr. B. <BR>(My email is true) <BR> <BR>Perhaps you can use this thread as an example of my travel expertise...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -