Int'l phone cards

May 20th, 2003, 04:46 PM
MJH
Original Poster

Int'l phone cards

I will be in London and Barcelona for about two weeks in late June. Any suggestions for calling cards from Europe to USA? Any charges/scams I should look out for? Any restrictions?
May 20th, 2003, 04:59 PM
LN

Hi

I don't know if I did anything spectacular - I bought a phone card at Sam's Club (approx $20) and used it throughout Europe with no trouble and then used it in Australia. No special charges - it all went through fine (for the most part) and I'd buy another.

I also used internet cafes - they're almost on every street corner - and that's even cheaper than phone cards - plus you can send the same message to LOTS of friends.
May 20th, 2003, 06:31 PM

I have been using a gphone.com calling card for trips to various countries. I find it more convenient than finding cards with the *best* rates for particular places. They also provide toll-free numbers for many countries around the world.

Rates aren't quite as good as cards you get locally, but there's no monthly fee, no charge for getting a card, and it bills directly to a credit card. The convenience is great. You also don't lose any "unused minutes" because you get billed as you go.

Have not used it in europe, but calls from Korea, Japan and Australia have been averaging around 10-14 cents per minute. Note that calls from the US to another country are a bit cheaper than the other way 'round.
May 20th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Do go for the Sam's Club (AT&T) or Cosco card (my sister used this one). It's probably as cheap and easy as you can get. I use my Sam's Club card at home for long distance (2.96 cents a minute!/international all the time.
May 21st, 2003, 05:43 AM

I was researching this topic last night by looking at old threads, and found mixed reviews of the Costco type card (wouldn't work sometimes etc.) I am specifically wondering about a card for Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Lithuania). Does anyone have any thoughts on what works from those countries?