Reload this Page >

intl driver's license for a POV in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:03 AM
flygirl

I've never gotten an international driver's license for any rental car. <BR><BR>I was recently told I may need one for a POV in Germany, which I thought was odd.<BR><BR>Is anyone aware of any rule about this, for POVs? What if you are going on to a military base? (aside from potentially needing military ID or a sponsor that is)

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Bob

For those Fodorites that have never been in the military POV is privately owned vehicle. <BR><BR>Having stated that I have never been asked for an international driver's license for anything in over 25+ trips to Germany and Europe....most of them driving. <BR><BR>I have entered old Army posts where I was one time stationed and have never been asked for an international driver's license. One trooper just let me drive in...doubt that happens anymore. <BR><BR>If you feel the need, get one. They are not expensive and you will feel better having it with you. I can just tell you what has happened with me.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:29 AM
navyflyer

Fellow comrade in arms,<BR> I suggest you get an international drivers licence for a POV unless you are going to be stationed there. You will feel more secure. If you are off duty, you may not be covered if you get in trouble without an IDL.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:33 AM
flygirl

thanks Bob. It is actually for my boyfriend, whose parents live there and who I am taking to the airport in a few hours.<BR><BR>Last minute packing, last minute Xmas buying, and the last minute argument about why he has to spend an hour running around today trying to get an intl drivers license b/c he'll be driving his parents' car and going on base, u.s.w.<BR><BR>I told him he was wasting his time but the point may be moot anyway. it's all good, thanks!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
flygirl

thank you navyflyer. he isn't military, and right now the point may be moot. thanks for the input!