Reload this Page >

Internet banking in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 11:12 PM
Mel

Has anyone tried to access their bank accounts online while in Europe? I'm leaving my PowerBook at home, but am somewhat of an online banking addict! <BR>Have you had any trouble at web cafés, etc...? I've heard that the encryption (rates?) used in Europe are not up to North American standards. <BR>Any info helpful.

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 02:39 AM
sally

never tried overseas but do it all over the u.s. maybe i don't have a full understanding of how the internet works but i thought that as long as you had an internet connection that worked you could access websites all over the world. i don't know about the security issues at the cybercafes. that might be a concern when accessing personal information.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:30 AM
mark

Hi ... <BR> <BR>Never tried online banking outside of UK, so cann't speak for rest of Europe ... but online banking is pretty rife here (UK). <BR> <BR>I use it a lot, as well as booking tickets online etc ... <BR> <BR>I actually thought that the UK/Europe was more secure because than USA, because the US Government doesn't want things too encryted otherwise the FBI would not be able to read everything?? (Please note this is NOT my area of expertise in computing, so don't take that as fact !!) <BR> <BR>I would quite happily use a Cyber Cafe abroad, because it is the site that creates the security NOT the country ... <BR> <BR>As long as it uses Secure Socket Layers then I would be happy (the site that is !!) <BR> <BR>One think ... don't save any of your details to disk (cookies), because the next would then be able to use your details to access the secure site !! <BR> <BR>Also talk to your online bank. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps <BR> <BR>Mark