Reload this Page >

International Driver's Permit- Y/N?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:26 PM
monica

Hi, <BR>Anyone know if you are REQUIRED to have an IDP when renting a car in Spain and driving across to France, and then back? Or would a valid US driver's license suffice?

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:40 PM
John

I got one 20 years ago for my first trip. In 20 years, no one ever asked to see one. US driver's license is all you need.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 05:26 PM
wes fowler

Monica, <BR>In certain countries of Europe if you're involved in an accident or speeding violation, the police may confiscate your license. Do you want to lose your U. S. state license and be grounded or are you willing to part with an International license that only cost you $10.00?

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:08 PM
Glenn

You most likely won't need it, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I have never been asked for mine yet, but I always get one. Ya never know !

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 07:24 PM
John

Wes, I think Monica was asking if one is needed to rent a car which I have never had to have one. <BR> <BR>Your point about the police confiscating your license for a speeding viloation or accident is true although It has never happened to me. It did happen to my boss on the autoroute outside of Paris. I'm not sure about his license, but they did take his passport and wouldn't let him drive until he paid the fine, in cash. No credit card. No ATM card. No tc or iou's. Just cash. Fortunately, he had enough cash. I'm not sure what would have happened if he didn't have the cash. I think they would have confiscated his car until he could pay. <BR> <BR>They don't care about your driver's license, US or international. They take your passport, you are not leaving the country. <BR> <BR>I've had my car towed away by the police for parking in a tow-away zone. I had to find the garage and pay the $100 fine to get the car back. They never asked if I even had a license. It wasn't relevant. They don't give you points. They just want the money. <BR> <BR>Save the $10 and have a beer or two.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:13 AM
bo_jack

An international driving permit is NOT required to rent from Hertz in Spain. HOWEVER -- in November of last year, Hertz was specifically RECOMMENDING that you carry one in Spain. They said that -- if stopped by police and you do not have one -- they had received reports of drivers getting fines of about $200. In my view, its cheap "insurance."

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 10:12 AM
Lee

Monica: I lived in Europe and moved back to the US, returning for a fourth trip in May. I've never had one and have never been asked for one, but I have never driven in Spain. <BR> <BR>Some countries ask for some weird things with travelers. In my experience, if Wes recommends it for your itinerary, I'd get one. He's the "professor". <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 11:34 AM
michele

Bo Jack is right about Spain.My travel agent higly recommends those travelling in Spain to get one. Further, the permit is cheap and is good insurance anywhere in Europe. But, to answer your question, it is not required.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 12:52 PM
John

My comments about not needing one were based on my personal experiences in France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. Sounds like Spain is different and you should get one for there.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:17 PM
Jeanie

It sounds like the general consensus is that it might not be needed in France. Is this true? I will be driving in france in a month and am debating whether or not to get one.

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 11:40 AM
greg

my two cents worth- <BR> <BR>my girlfriend and i are going to spain in 2 weeks. it took us 10 minutes and 10 bucks to get the idp. why even risk not having one????? <BR> <BR>gm

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 12:57 PM
Paulo

When renting cars in Europe I was asked the IDL only once. This was last summer in Athens, with Auto Europe (and it was clear in the voucher that an IDL would be required). <BR> <BR>I checked with the Italian, Spanish, Greek and Turkish consulates here in Brazil, and the result was that an IDL was required by law in all these countries. If the law really is enforced or not, that's another story. I was asked to show an IDL only in Italy, twice ... the first time I didn't have one and had to talk my way out ... the second time around I had one which was no longer valid ... no problem! <BR> <BR>The IDL is not a driving license ... it's nothing more than a translation of your license into a bunch of languages. It's a ripoff ... giving the Auto Clubs around the world some extra revenue. Considering it's only a translation, why on earth is it valid only one year? <BR> <BR>In Brazil, an IDL costs around USD 60 and it takes days to get it issued... I got one once and have been using it since ... (I produced it in Athens, and the Auto Europe clerk didn't complain - well, I was "insured" because a friend travelling with us had a brand new one). <BR> <BR>In the US, it's a piece of cake ... Get one, Monica, it's a very cheap insurance. Say you have one chance in fifty to have your trip ruined ... is it worth the 10 bucks? <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. if you cross from France back to Spain in a point with low traffic, there's a good chance you'll be required to show your driver's license ... and your IDL!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 07:37 PM
John

I did a little research based on some of the answers posted. What I found is that in some countries they are required and some they are not. <BR> <BR>Here's what Hertz lists for driver license requirements for the following European countries .... Austria,Denmark, <BR>Germany, Portugal, Switzerland, Belgium, <BR>France, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom. <BR>"All customers must have been licensed to drive for at least one year at the time of rental. A National License must be presented at the time of rental. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is also required if the National Driving License is not in Roman Alphabet.(i.e., Japanese) An IDP is recommended (not required) for translation purposes and may only be used in conjunction with a National Driver's License". My words in parenthesis. <BR> <BR>So I interpretated this to mean that if you have a US drivers license, an IDP is not required. A police officer or anyone else can ask if you have an IDP for whatever reason, but it is not required. They have no legal right to fine you or arrest you if you don't have one. <BR> <BR>Also note, that as Paulo pointed out, the IDP is not a drivers license. It is only a translation into many languages and cannot be used without a legitimate National drivers license. <BR> <BR>I found many advertisements who take liberty with the language and imply that an IDP is required for veryone with costs ranging up to $150. Again, I agree with Paulo that this is indeed nothing but a "rip off". <BR> <BR>I have rented cars in many of the European countries numerous times as well as in Canada, the Carribean islands and Mexico and was never told I needed an IDP to rent a car. I have lived in france and Germany for one year each and did not have to have an IDP. And trust me, my company made very sure that I was complying with all local laws while I was there. <BR> <BR>I believe if you are involved with the law in some manner where they are going to take your license, it will be your US driver's license whether you have an IDP or not. Actually, I don't think they would even bother with your license. They will just confiscate your passport and very likely the car. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:49 AM
Maira

We were asked for our driver licenses when renting a car in Spain and we handed our IDP's instead. No problem accepting them at the rental place. We used them as forms of ID's everywhere it was required and it was so much easier as Spaniards in the tourism industry seemed to be very familiar and comfortable with the format of the IDP. I am returning to Spain in two weeks and, you guessed it, we already renewed our permits at AAA. Monica is right, for $10.00 and the cost of two 2x2's I could be saving myself a lot of agravation. <BR> <BR>I almost forgot; we are meeting German friends in Spain and they also advised us to get an IDP, specially for Spain.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:44 PM
Glenn

I just wanted to add another quick comment based on what people have posted recently. The international drivers permit is not a license! It is just a copy of the information on your license translated into various languages. The purpose is to aid you and the official of whatever country you are visiting in case you have some type of traffic/driving incident. If you are undecided, you might consider doing it out of respect, as a well being a well versed "travler"

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:45 PM
Glenn

I just wanted to add another quick comment based on what people have posted recently. The international drivers permit is not a license! It is just a copy of the information on your license translated into various languages. The purpose is to aid you and the official of whatever country you are visiting in case you have some type of traffic/driving incident. If you are undecided, you might consider doing it out of respect, as a well being a well versed "travler"

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:47 PM
Glenn

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Glenn

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Glenn