International Driver's License

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have received different messages from folks about the need to have a International Driver's License. Is it required when renting a car in Italy?
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Not to rent, but you will if ever stopped by the police. I would get it.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Here are some more tips:

DRIVING IN ITALY & SOUTHERN EUROPE

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps—study them in advance—and have a GOOD NAVIGATOR.
* Stay in the right lane except when passing and use your rear view mirrors

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is AUTOEUROPE [800-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, full mandatory insurance coverage, and VAT taxes. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers—both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing—YOU SHOULD TOO !
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the oncoming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign “ SENSO UNICO” and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [ rule of thumb—300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do NOT attempt to follow road numbers—that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA—SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

NOTE: As of 2005, an International Drivers Permit[IDP] is required in Italy.
You can obtain them from your local AAA office. You will need a valid US driver’s license, two passport photos, and $10. The photos can be taken at the AAA office.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:33 AM

It's not a "License". It's a "Permit" that translates your data into other languages.

As Bob says, it's not a requirement but is advised for any emergency.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:39 AM

In New York City, AAA charges $15 for the permit, so prices may vary.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>As Bob says, it's not a requirement but is advised for any emergency.</i>&quot;

WRONG! Most rental agencies will not ask to see your IDP - but it is a <u>legal requirement</u> to have one to legally drive in Italy.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM

mea culpa! Thanks Janis, I didn't know that...

I just pulled this off the europeforvisitors website:

&quot;The International Driving Permit has been around for decades, but now there's a new wrinkle: For the first time, at least one Western European country (Italy) requires drivers from outside the EU to have the IDP.&quot;
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
ira

Austria also requires an IDP.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; For the first time, at least one Western European country (Italy) requires drivers from outside the EU to have the IDP.&quot; &gt;&gt;&gt;

And Spain and Greece...
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
However, with 27 countries in the EU (and probably an exemption for Switzerland, Norway and Iceland as well), the authorities are now used to accepting the licences of 30 different countries and are probably more relaxed about countries like the U.S., Canada or Australia, even if it isn't officially on the books yet.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Bookmarking!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM
LJ

Over the course of one year in Italy, we have been stopped three times in our Fiat 500. Each time the IDL came in handy...I wouldn't take a chance on being without one until a very long time after any requirement passes. If you are stopped by the local guardia in a small town in Sicily, trying to explain that the EU/some website said that Italy doesn't require it anymore in your guidebook Italian could be a long drawn out process.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM

NO -- the EU countries are not more relaxed about &quot;U.S. licenses&quot; because there actually is no such thing as a US license -- there is a New Jersey license, a California license, a Maine license, -- etc.

This is precisely why the police want to see an IDP -- they can't possibly recognize the validity of each individual state license. The IDP proves that another authority vetted your license for them and issued a legal document.

A rental company doesn't care if you are driving legally. All they care about is whether your credit card is valid in case you steal the car or wreck the tires.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Simply a good idea to have the permit. Seems a little silly as all you do it stop by the AAA office and buy it. No tests etc
Three times driving in Italy we never needed it , but IF you are stopped for any reason, parking ticket, fender bender etc. it is so much easier to have it in hand.
It's only good for a year!

OK,, so it is a &quot;requirement&quot;....(but nobody will check it , UNLESS you are stopped for one reason or another. (good &quot;insurance&quot; to have!)
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Without an IDP, there is no way an Italian officer can determine if you have a valid driver's license. He or she may never have heard of Rhode Island, just like most police in the US have never heard of Molise.

Without an IDP, you can be fined for driving without a valid driver's licence.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM

mari5 is right ... it's easy and inexpensive to get an IDP. Takes about ten or fifteen minutes at AAA and costs $15. If you don't have the passport-type photos needed, they will take them for you for a small fee.

I will be driving a rental car in Spain next month, and I wouldn't think of not having the permit.

bobthenavigator - I have a question. Your post on driving in Italy was great ... is there a similar one for Spain?
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; the authorities are now used to accepting the licences of 30 different countries and are probably more relaxed about countries like the U.S., Canada or Australia, even if it isn't officially on the books yet. &gt;&gt;&gt;

1) In most cases the requirement to have an IDP is recent
2) EU issued licences come in a standard format so there aren't 30 different licences
3) Each US state issues it's own licence so there are 50+ different US licences

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; Without an IDP, you can be fined for driving without a valid driver's licence. &gt;&gt;&gt;

It could also cause problems with your insurance - both personal &amp; car - as virtually all insurances require you to be &quot;legal&quot;.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Hmmm ! Driving in Spain is very similar only easier because the signage is better and the roads less crowded. I am not sure the term for &quot; one way&quot;. I would still rent from AE or Kemwel. I recently got upgraded to a BMW in Madrid at the Avis counter---they felt sorry for the older couple in the rain.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM

scdreamer - my sister and I drove in Spain (Girona-Figueres-Barcelona-Pamplona-San Sebastian-Bilbao). Here are the differences/ similarities to Bob's list that we noticed:

AUTOPISTAS - Really well-maintained, well-signed toll highways that get you around Spain. Just like a regular toll highway, you pick up a ticket at the first line of toll booths and then turn it in at the next set. When we were there in 2004, we were able to pay with our credit card at unmanned stations. Not sure if they've switched to chip cards since then.

CITIES - Not sure where you're going, but we had no problem driving in any of the cities I mentioned except for Barcelona.

If you plan to drive into Barcelona, please bring a great map and only enter in the daytime. I don't know what we were thinking, but we drove into Barcelona at night without a good map. It took us 30 minutes of circling to figure out how to enter the city, and once we did, I'm pretty sure we drove down a few sidewalks before miraculously finding our hotel.

We rented our car through STA Travel (you don't need to be a student), but Bob's AUTOEUROPE suggestion sounds even better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -