International Driver's Licence

Jul 13th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

International Driver's Licence

Hello all,

I'll be going to France, Belgium and The Netherlands for two weeks and I was wondering if I need an international driver's licence? I've read many posts that state anyone with a valid licence from any of the 50 US states doesn't, however I'm from Canada. I was wondering if my Canadian driver's will be enough, or will I need to get an international licence?
Jul 13th, 2012, 03:25 AM

Those countries do not require IDP and your Canadian license no doubt is valid but just check with your local licensing office to be sure.

Absolutely no need to get IDP for those countries - I have driven in those countries for years and years with just my local license and never had a problem.
Jul 13th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks so much
Jul 13th, 2012, 04:28 AM

Read your car rental agreement...mine, with autoeurope, says I need one (I'm also Canadian). Having said that, I have always taken one and have NEVER been asked for it. I figure it is a good investment however. What if you got to your rental and they wouldn't rent to you without it It would sure disrupt your plans!
Jul 13th, 2012, 04:33 AM

An IDP is not a license so if you do get an IDP you still need your official license in addition to the permit.
Jul 13th, 2012, 06:00 AM

The French authorities have no interest in an IDP -- in fact, it would make them more suspicious. They want to see a real licence, and believe it or not, some of them have been to school and can even read English.
Jul 13th, 2012, 06:30 AM

First off, there is no such thing as an International Driver's License, even though you can buy one online. As far as the IDP goes with rental agencies, some ask if you have one but never ask to see it. Others do not care. There are several countries that do require the IDP (Spain, Italy, etc.), but the only one that I would be concerned about is Italy. As noted, France does not require the IDP.
Jul 13th, 2012, 06:44 AM

What some countries require is a translation of info into local language and the IDP is one vehicle that does this - IDP has no official standing and in those countries like Kerouac says cops, etc have no interest in seeing one - a waste of money (unless your car rental company indeed does require it, which they should not but may on grounds of misinformation.