Reload this Page >

Interlink debit card question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:57 AM
SJ

I've read lots of commentary on cards with PLUS logos, but find that my Visa debit card (which I intend to use only at ATMs, not point of purchase) has only an Interlink logo on the back -- no PLUS. My bank assures me that this is widely accepted at ATM's in Europe. Does anyone have experience with the Interlink network? Is it the same as the PLUS network? If not, is it in fact widely available? Thanks!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:25 AM
xxx

As long as it has the Visa logo it is accepted just about everywhere, whether they list interlink or not.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Bob C

Interlink is one of the major players along with PLUS and PULSE. It is not the same as PLUS. Just look for the Interlink or Visa/Interlink logo and your good. I check my Bank of America ATM only card and it has Interlink, Plus and Pulse.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:02 PM
John H

Hi, SJ,<BR><BR>Interlink is a POS (point of sale) or debit) network. It essentially enables you to use an "electronic check" (debit card) at merchant locations (stores) in the U.S.. By contrast, PLUS and Cirrus are ATM networks. AS opposed to letting you make a debit transaction at a merchant, these networks tie ATM networks together, allowing you to make withdrawals from your home bank checking account at ATMs in the network throughout the world. (PLUS is Visa's network and Cirrus is Mastercard's network). Even though your card lacks the PLUS network symbol, it is -- for all intents and purposes -- synonymous with the Visa emblem for the purpose of making ATM withdrawals. If you go to the following Visa web site, you can see what financial institutions in different cities and countries allow you to make ATM withdrawals as part of the Visa network:<BR><BR>http://usa.visa.com/personal/shoppin..._overview.html <BR><BR>Happy travels.<BR><BR>John H.<BR><BR>