Search

Interlaken OST to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interlaken OST to Rome

Dear all,
I am lucky I got this forum for uk and europe travel.with your help its really easy to plan the trip.
Thank you in advance.
I am trying to book ticket online from Interlaken OST to Rome by 6.30 pm train but it says its under maintenance. (Schweizerische Bundesbahnen SBB).How much does it cost per person on 29th July.
and how to book it? will it be easy to buy tickets from Interlaken on 29th itself ?

from Spiez to Domodossola by Schweizerische Bundesbahnen SBB how much does it cost?

From Domodossola to Gallarate Trenitalia arrow train (Eurocity 59) 20.17 -21.03 will cost 9.90 euros.

From Gallarate to Milano Porta Trenord train 21.34 - 22.11 The date comes as non applicable.
So confusing

I went to RAILEUROPE and search from Interlaken to Rome it comes as 18.30 dep -07.17 Arr and says EUROCITIES + EUROCITY + INTERCITY NOTTE( I think these are train names) the fare is 137.60 euro per person so seeing the timings are these the same trains?
Should I book EURORAIL?

Thanks
Seema
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
By searching the Swiss and Italian official rail sites, I was able to find fare information.

Interlaken Ost to Brig: "from CHF22,50" which is probably for 2nd class

Brig to Milano Centrale: between 38 and 56 Euros, depending on whether you snag any discounts and what class of service

Milano Centrale to Roma Termini: between 36 and 104 Euros, again depending on whether you snag any discounts and what class of service

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 06:12 PM

Specifically, I found a Swiss train departing Interlaken Ost at 08:00, change at Spiez, arriving Brig at 09:11. The Italian train departs Brig at 09:44, change at Milano Centrale, arrives Roma Termini at 14:55.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GO BACK to the www.sbb.ch/en site and LOOK AGAIN.

If you really want to leave IN THE EVENING the 2nd class cost for that trip involving three changes varies considerably depending on which, if any, sleeping accommodations you book.

I just LOOKED at it and there is nothing about "maintenance" or anything else.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 07:49 PM

I got the maintenance message when I searched the entire route on the Swiss site for the OP's travel date, but I didn't get the message when I searched to Brig on Swiss and then Brig to Rome on Trenitalia.

simavj, did you want to travel overnight?
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 08:02 PM

Are you sure you don't want to fly? Zurich to Rome is under two hours and under two hundred dollars.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 08:05 PM

I think you'll have trouble finding realistic connections to make this journey overnight. That may be the reason for the "non applicable" message. You probably need to depart Interlaken by early afternoon.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 08:23 PM

Flying might be preferable for travel late in the day, but there would be costs beyond the airfare and travel time beyond the flight. It's CHF36 to Zurich airport and 14 Euros from FCO into Rome and at least 4 additional hours (trains, pre-flight security, etc.).
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Hello Jean,Dukey1,Michael_d

I asked for overnight train from Interlaken to Rome in www.seat61.com and got this train.One purpose we can sleep from 23.17 from Milano Porta to Rome tributini till 7.17 and save for accomodation.Yes flight is faster but again travelling from city to airport,Immigration clearance,Check in and we need to reach airport before 2 hours of departure so 4-5 hours extra gone.
We will travel by second class.

My Q is:
1-We are 4 adults travelling together so should I choose OPEN or CORRIDOR in seat selection?
2-How to get discount cards for trains?
3-Should I book through www.sbb.ch/en where charges are shown as 137 Euros same as RAILEUROPE but in VOYAGES-SNCF.COM it shows 104 per person?
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Good luck with your plan to sleep between Milan and Rome.

I believe your plan means arriving at Milano Centrale from Brig and having to take the metro to the Milano Porta Girabaldi station in order to catch the train to Roma Tiburtina. (Note that it's a short connection to navigate with luggage on an unfamiliar subway system, and you may want to take a taxi between stations.)

The final train will make more than a dozen stops as it (very) slowly travels to Rome. If you're buying seats and not sleeping accommodations, sleeping will be difficult if not impossible.

When you finally arrive in Rome, after more than 12 hours of travel, you'll need to drop your luggage at your hotel (make sure you book one that allows this) before sightseeing.

You should book directly with the national railways (Swiss, Italian) and not through booking agents like Raileurope which will charge fees.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Jean,
This is the first time I am travelling to Europe.Thanks for your suggestions.
So flight is more faster and cheaper option than hopping from one train to another with baggage?
We thought the train will be convenient with bags and will be nearby platforms to change.But this looks hassel.
Simavj
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 10:19 AM

You need to compare all options before knowing which is cheaper and faster and most convenient.

I think your dilemma is that you're trying to do this as an overnight journey. It would make much more sense to take a faster train journey with fewer and simpler connections during the day.

For example, if you took a train from Interlaken Ost at 13:29 and made just two connections at Spiez and Milano Centrale, you would arrive in Rome at 19:58. The connecting times are 15 minutes at Spiez and 23 minutes at Milan, and the overall journey is 6:29 hours. You'd arrive in time for dinner and be rested for your sightseeing the next day.

If you keep the overnight plan, you need to accept all of the logistical issues.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 11:12 AM

for the overnight train discounted fares go to www.trenitalia.com and book as far in advance as possible for lowest fares for the actual night train, Milan to Rome - not a hotel train I think so may even have regular seats at no extra fee but I'd get a couchette at least for sdafety of belongings. See www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com for lots of info on Swiss trains.

If you have a Swiss Pass you can use it to the border station- Domodossola and then book a ticket from there to Rome or wherever on www.trenitalia.com. Also check www.sbb.ch for discounted Interlaken to Rome tickets.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 01:36 PM

like michelle here is one time I may fly if I did not want to spend a day in fairly boring scenery or an inconvenient overnight train requiring two changes of train to get to.

Germany and Austria have proper hotel trains to Rome but internal Italian trains tend to be much more spartan and may only be 2nd class seats and couchettes -may or may not have private compartments - check www.bahn.de/en for details on what is on that Milan to Rome night train.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>3-Should I book through www.sbb.ch/en where charges are shown as 137 Euros same as RAILEUROPE but in VOYAGES-SNCF.COM it shows 104 per person?<<<

You should book Milan/Rome with Trenitalia, but there is no way I would want to take an overnight train from Milan to Rome. You can take a day train and be there in 3 hours.

You would only be on the night train a little over 7 hours. You shouldn't expect much sleep by the time you get settled. You probably won't be able to check into your hotel in Rome at 7:30 in the morning either so you will need to figure out something to do with your luggage if you want to start sightseeing.

Couchettes don't have bathroom in the compartment and water (you have a sink) is not potable.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 02:31 PM

Couchettes don't have bathroom in the compartment and water (you have a sink) is not potable.>

Do Italian domestic couchette trains have a sink? Then they are the rare ones in Europe that do - private compartments in the sleeping car always seem to have them but not couchettes - there is usually a WC toilet and a room for washing face, doing make-up, etc.

bourbon is always right but just want to clarify that.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 08:01 PM

<like michelle here is one time I may fly if I did not want to spend a day in fairly boring scenery or an inconvenient overnight train requiring two changes of train to get to.>

And I am terrified of flying and would still do it rather than spend a sleepless night changing trains several times. I would be a vegetable the next day.