Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying into Zurich, and will head towards the Jungfrau area. I will be there for 5 days. My major goal is to explore the Jungfrau. However, I know that the weather can make the visibility very limited, so on days when that is the case, I would like to take day trips to Bern and Luzern.

Given this, do you suggest I stay in Lauterbrunnen, or Interlaken? I believe there is more to do in Interlaken. However, would staying in Lauterbrunnen allow me to get an earlier train to Jungfrau, when the weather and visibility is good? It is feasible to do day trips to Bern or Luzern from either Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken?

Would you suggest that I rent a car, or rely on the trains?

Any input you can provide would truly be appreciated. Thank you so much.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 08:20 PM
kja

I'm sure you know that you can check times to get from place to place in Switzerland on sbb:
http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
That will let you see how long it will take to get from place to place (whether by train, bus, boat, or other) and with what options for number of transfers en route, etc. You'll see that, as a general rule, it will probably take about 1/2 hour to get from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken. You can check various routes that reflect your preferences if conditions are "ideal" or for your preferred "back-up" options -- that should let you make an informed choice based on YOUR aspirations and fall-back preferences.

FWIW, it may depend on WHEN you go. From another of your posts, I think you are planning your trip for late May? I'm sure that information will prove valuable to the experts. I delayed my trip to the Bernese Oberland until mid-June last year, and was glad I did because some unseasonably late snowfalls would have limited my options had I traveled earlier. BUT these were UNSEASONABLE snowfalls that were relevant to my specific plans; other options may be available. As an example, the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg was closed while I was in the area because of a recent avalanche, but I was told about an alternative walk -- from Mannlichen to Brandegg -- that was similar in length and difficulty and which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Personally, I can't imagine renting a car while in a country with the public transportation options available in Switzerland unless you have a VERY specific need.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:24 PM

Hi garyincary,

I personally dislike Interlaken a lot -- it is heavily touristed and filled with tourist shops, etc. I've walked through and around its neighborhoods, and it's never impressed me as a nice place to stay. Note that it is down in the flats, between the two lakes.

I also disliked Lauterbrunnen, though I have to say I've never gotten off the train there. It sits at the base of some cliffs that overhang the town, and it always gave me the creeps just travelling through. It always appeared dark and depressing to me.

If you want a location that's convenient for the trips you mention, I'd recommend either Thun or Spiez. They're also very convenient for trips to Gruyeres, Gstaad, Saanen, Routemont, etc.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:37 PM
kja

FWIW, I am very glad that I chose to stay in Lauterbrunnen! My room didn't face either of the walls of this spectacular valley, which was sun-filled during the June days when I was there. From the Hotel Staubbach (which I found very much to my liking), I looked ALONG the valley, so it wasn't oppressive or dark or depressing at all - instead, it was stunningly scenic! And I had an absolutely spectacular view of the awesome Staubbach Falls, although I'm sure that could differ with the season....

For my trip adviser review of the Hotel Staubbach, see KJA 3.
http://www.staubbach.com
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:05 PM

kja -- but what was the town itself like, once you left your hotel? Were the streets dark or also sun-filled? They always looked dark to me.

In May, there won't be as many hours of sunlight --

s
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interlaken for more flexibility. It's a touristy town but it allows you to get to other places easily.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:28 PM
kja

When I was there (mid+ June), the Lauterbrunnen Valley seemed gloriously drenched in sun from when I awoke to dusk! Of course I can't speak to what it would be like at any time other than when I visited it, but it is a valley that is generally oriented in the north-south direction, so I don't think the extent of valley shadows would necessarily vary so much in Lauterbrunnen as they would in a valley that is oriented from east to west, or a valley that is otherwise askew of north-south -- but maybe my understanding of shadows is off. The (mostly? entirely?) roofed train station is near a narrow point in the valley, so I can easily imagine that it seems darker and more shaded than other parts of the town.

To place my observations in as clear a context as I can: I spent 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen at the Hotel Staubbach in mid+ June. I loved the location, which I found bright and sunny, and I loved the views of both the Staubbach falls and another set of falls further down the valley (sorry I've forgotten their name, but will try to find it if it matters). I am glad to have stayed there!

I spent the night before my time in Lauterbrunnen in Wengen. I enjoyed my stay in Wengen, but I found it a bit too geared to tourists to fully satisfy my tastes. Same with Murren (although I didn't stay there) -- a bit too oriented to tourists for my preferences. (Yes, I know that I am a tourist, and i am NOT objecting to tourism! It's just that I generally prefer places that are a bit less dependent on tourism.) Wengen and Murren are very charming Alpine villages, and I can certainly understand that many people find them ideal. I walked through both and can attest to their appeal. And, depending on the weather, they can offer incomparable views. Whether the extra time it would take to get from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen or Murren would be worth it seems, to me, a very personal choice.

Given the things that I wanted to see/do in the area, I knew in advance that I might only have time at whatever lodging(s) I chose for a quick breakfast, a late dinner, and maybe a glass of wine on a balcony before dinner. So avoiding that extra transit time to Wengen or Murren from Lauterbrunnen made a HUGE difference to me. I was able to reach my hotel in Lauterbrunnerin on each of the three days I stayed there in time to have a glass of wine while watching Staubbach Falls as the sun set (out of my line of sight), SO awesome! .. and I still had time to walk to a restaurant for dinner after enjoying that view. AND, as it turned out, I also had enough time for a last glass of wine and a view of the moonlit Lauterbrunnen valley from my hotel's balcony each night. OH, I was lucky! SO pleasant!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:41 PM
kja

The sunset was out of my line of sight -- the falls, with their ever-changing, glinting, shimmering reflections of the light of the setting sun, were there for me to enjoy each night!
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:44 PM

We loved Lauterbrunnen.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed in Lauterbrunnen and visited Interlaken on a day trip to Thun. I'm so glad we didn't stay in Interlaken, I couldn't find anything appealing about it. Lauterbrunnen is small but very picturesque. Thun is also a lovely place but quite different in feel from Lauterbrunnen, which is in a valley with gorgeous waterfalls. Why not check out the journey times on the Swiss rail website and see if you would be happy with doing those trips?

To give you an idea of how long things take, we did a day trip to Thun, from Lauterbrunnen, would have left around 9am and got back around 6pm, caught the train there and back. It was an easy and really enjoyable day out.

Regarding the comments above about Lauterbrunnen appearing dark, I must say it never felt that way to us but everyone is entitled to their opinion. We were there in early October. Also the Swiss trains are great, a little expensive, but I wish we had such wonderful public transport here in Australia! Forget about the car idea.

Kay