Search

Interesting non-touristy parts of London where one can go for a stroll

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
oldie

Interesting non-touristy parts of London where one can go for a stroll

Author: tudorterrace222
Date: 08/21/2006, 11:36 am

What are some quaint London neighborhoods to go for a stroll?

Author: Mimar
Date: 08/21/2006, 11:44 am

I thought Little Venice was really interesting. Actually I was introduced to it on a walking tour. For ideas, you might look at the list of London walking tours: www.walks.com.

Other thoughts: Chelsea and Richmond (not on the same walk).

Author: tod
Date: 08/21/2006, 11:56 am

The EyeWitness Guide To London has 5 mapped out walks starting at 90 minutes through Richmond & Kew. Others are 2hr strolls through Islington and another along the Regents Canal - done both and really enjoyed them.
Theres a three hour one through Chelsea & Battersea.
Get the book and you'll be well away!

Author: thursdaysd
Date: 08/21/2006, 12:06 pm

There are lots of walking guides to London. I like Andrew Duncan's "Walking London" and see he has also written "Secret London". I'd vote for Hampstead, Chelsea, the Inns of Court area, the Embankment... Just about anywhere will have something interesting.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the umpteen other threads been deleted?

Anyway there was a bit on TV the other evening about the Thames Barrier Park.
It looked a nice place for a stroll and the Thames Barrier is an interesting sight in itself.
You can see how to get to it at http://tinyurl.com/qth65
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM

You might be interested to take one of these free London Walks. You can just print them off and do them at you own pace. www.london-walks.co.uk

Highgate and Hampstead are off the beaten track and for something really different give Kensal Green Cemetery a try.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
MaureenB

Not exactly 'non-touristy', but we liked the area where Abbey Road is. We saw the queen's mounted guard doing some practice drills in the street, and that was pretty cool. And Hampstead is a cute little place to stop for a meal.

From my trip report of June 2005:
"Took the tube one evening to see “Abbey Road” and take our corny pictures crossing it. Then we took the tube to Hampstead for dinner. Found the La Gaffe Italian restaurant there, which was very good. Barely caught the last tube into Paddington at midnight and back to our hotel. Very fun evening."

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM

Battersea Park

http://tinyurl.com/krety
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Head for Temple tube station and walk east into inner/middle temple. Here you will find an oasis of calm, with just the sound of quill pens being wielded by all the barristers in their chambers. At lunch-time, the gardens of inner temple are open and make a nice spot for a picnic. Then crossover the strand, and wander around the Royal Courts of Justice - if you are interested, they hold the big libel trials and ciminal appeals there - just ask at the enquiry desk at the entrance.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 02:47 AM

Head for Temple tube station and walk east into inner/middle temple. Here you will find an oasis of calm, with just the sound of quill pens being wielded by all the barristers in their chambers.>>>>>>

This idyllic scene being only spolied by the hundreds of American tourists on the Da Vinci Code trail......Really there are hordes of them. Don't even think about trying to get into the church!
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry if my info was out of date. I used to work in the temple until about 9 years ago so was describing it as I knew it - and then it had not changed for about 100 years or so, so I thought |I was on pretty safe ground. That was "BDB" of course.
I will just have to imagine the lamp-lighter quietly going about his task of lighting the gas-lamps every night [and extinguishing them the next day] unmolested by hoards of tourists brandishing that book!
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:33 PM

In my recent trips to London (which don't seem so recent now...), I have stayed in the South Kensington area. I've always liked walking in the Gloucester Road near the Queen's Gate/Princes Gate area around some of the embassies. I haven't been since Nov, 2004 so I don't know if there is stricter security but I was always able to wander around there. Not very touristy especially in the early evening.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:09 AM

No you won't be able to take a tube to Abbey Rd. (You'll take a Jubilee line to St. John's Wood, then walk 5min to Abbey Rd). It's just a nice residential street with block of flats, no attraction aside from that crossing.

And no, you won't be able to take the tube from SJW to Hampstead (which is on Northern Line).

Having said that, Hampstead is quite nice for a stroll. You can walk to the top of the Heath, then come down to Golders Green.

I also like Blackheath/Greenwich area.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:20 AM

You can get the 46 bus from St Johns Wood to Hampstead, it goes straight there.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM

oldie- since no Brits have scolded you for using the Q word, you're lucky - a similar use of the Q word recently resulted in a barrage of indigent replies from Londoners who disdain using that word for any part of their city! Be warned!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:47 AM
MaureenB

If you can take the tube to within a 5 minute walk to Abbey Road, I think it can be said you can 'take the tube' there. Anyway that's what we did. It's corny, but for my generation, seeing that Abbey Road crossing is a kick.

We must have transferred on the tube to get to Hampstead, but I don't remember exactly. My husband and daughter were navigating. However we did it, it wasn't difficult because they figured it out easily. It's definitely doable via the tube, and Hampstead was charming.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Use of the Q word is definately a yellow card offense.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM

"with just the sound of quill pens being wielded by all the barristers in their chambers."

Oh, come on. Has anyone ever met a barrister who writes anything? Couple of jotted notes (usually with WH Smith's cheapest biro) on the back of a Pommeroy's wine list is about as far as most of them ever get. Talking's what barristers are paid to do.

The craftsmanship goes into creating the invoices. For which Chambers clerks use the very latest technology. Bought their word processing machines as recently as 1995, some of them.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM

None of us, BTW, are indigent.

Pissed off maybe. But not paupers.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Beware! There's an easy tube route to West hampstead, station (two stops) but West Hampstead is VERY different from Hampstead itself.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to wander around West Hampstead, and it's a bit of a trek to hampstead itself from there.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Neopolitan

I wish I were at home so I could check my journal. But we did a wonderful walk along canals starting not far from Canary Wharf at a boat basin amongst some new apartments. The route followed some old canals, through residential and commercial areas. We made a number of stops and had lunch along the way. It was a most interesting and "non-touristy" day.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM

bookmark
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I detail a week’s walks in London in my note at http://victorianresearch.org/haineswalks.html/. Most are away from tourists.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -