Input requested on this list of chateau hotels in Tours, Loire, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello<BR><BR>We've just booked to attend a summer language school in Bordeaux for two weeks this summer.<BR><BR>We'll be making the Eurotunnel crossing at around midday on Saturday and I estimate that we can reach the Loire area by early evening. <BR><BR>We're intending to stay one night in the area each way, and looking at the autoroute maps, I think Tours is the best option - it doesn't take us far off route and gives us lots of choices.<BR><BR>We don't necessarily intend to stay in the same place both times unless it gains us a discounted rate.<BR><BR>I'd prefer not to pay more than 150 Euros per night per room inclusive of breakfast for two people.<BR><BR>I've found the following hotels and would appreciate feedback, as well as any additional recommendations.<BR><BR>In no particular order:<BR><BR>Chateau de Montgouverne <BR>Prieure des Granges <BR>Le Domaine des Bidaudieres <BR>Chateau du Vau <BR>Chateau de Nazelles<BR>Ch&acirc;teau de Jallanges<BR>Ch&acirc;teau de Bois-Renault<BR><BR>Thanks for your help,<BR>Kavey
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:01 PM

You decided not to go to CLE in Tours? Were they not helpful re living arrangements? Just curious b/c last time you posted you were leaning towards CLE.<BR><BR>I'm sure Bordeaux will be a wonderful experience, also!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Grandmere<BR>I sent them several messages using their email and via the website and got no response.<BR>I could have phoned but...<BR>Bordeaux staff were sooo friendly that I decided to go there after all.<BR>But if we enjoy this (and I am sure we will) we will likely do it again at other schools so CLE is still in my bookmarks.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

topping - has anyone any experience of the hotels above?<BR>thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Kavey<BR><BR>Sorry, I don't know those on your list, but I can highly recommend Ch&acirc;teau de Chissay.<BR><BR>see<BR>http://www.chateaudechissay.com/<BR><BR>About 1/2 hour east of Tour along the Cher. Between Chenonceau &amp; the small town of Montrichard.<BR><BR>Ian
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM

I'm going to the Loire Valley in 2 weeks, and staying at Le Manoir Les Minimes in Amboise. Not exactly a chateau, as it's right in Amboise on the river, but sounds lovely, and has gotten good recommendations. From Amboise, it seems to be easy to tour the eastern chateaux. I'm also going to Saumur for a few days, staying at the Hotel Anne d'Anjou, for the western part. There are so many threads on this forum re places to stay in the Loire. I wasn't sure I'd get a car, so wanted to be in the towns. I've decided to do the car, but if I chicken out, will be near the train stations!<BR><BR>By the way, Kavey, what is the name of the language school in Bordeaux? I would love to do something like that. Be sure to post a report when you get back!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

The school is called BLS and I will definitely report when I return.<BR><BR>Check it out at:<BR><BR>http://www.bls-frenchcourses.com/versGB/index.html
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

PS Sue when we went to Loire last, in Sept 1999, we stayed at the Chateau de Beaulieu in Saumurs (not the one in Tours). It's in new hands now but looks the same. We were in the Louis 14 suite for about �50 UK a night BB for the both of us. I think it's more now but it was wonderful and not too formal or stuffy...
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Ian<BR>Thanks for the Chissay recommendation, I'll check it out too.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Kavey, I stayed at Jallanges for two or three nights in 1999. I really enjoyed it. The place was fantastic, the gardens beautiful and a lovely breakfast gave you an opportunity to meet and chat with other guests. It was in a good location as long as you have a car. There were some wonderful wine caves to tour (and taste). One caveat is that there was a fellow staying there who had a severe mold allergy and had to leave early in the morning. I don't know if it was his room in particular or chateaux in general. We stayed in the &quot;apartments&quot; and had huge accommodations. We did peek in some of the rooms and they were very tastefully decorated.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Grasshopper, thanks so much for your feedback. It's looking like we'll choose Jallanges for one of the nights, if they have availability.<BR>Do you recall which room type you booked?<BR>I was asking a couple of friends just a short time ago if they &quot;knew&quot; you or had a contact for you, because I didn't know if you'd notice my post and I'd seen by searching that you had stayed in Jallanges yourself.<BR>Did someone alert you to this thread on my behalf or did you just happen to come upon this post about the same time I contacted them!?<BR<BR>Kavey
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Hi Kavey,<BR><BR>I just happened on the post. We had one of the &quot;apartments&quot;. I was travelling with my friend and I don't think they had any twin accommodations so we took it. It had a living room, bedroom and bathroom. Very luxurious. I'll never forget my friend lounging in the tub with a glass of sparkling vin de Vouvray saying &quot;Ah, chateau living!&quot; <BR><BR>Feel free to email me. [email protected]<BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Sounds wonderful!!<BR><BR>