Innsbruck or Hall???

Jan 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Innsbruck or Hall???

Hello All:

We are a family of 4 travelling to Italy and Austria in June. After a few days in Verona/Lake Garda we wanted to spend some time in the Innsbruck area and see the Dolomites/Alps. We wanted help with ideas of things to see and places to stay, we have 2 young children (8 & 4). Here are some specific questions we have for you experienced travellers, any help would be appreciated.

1. Better to stay in Innsbruck or Hall, or elsewhere?
2. Best drives, we will have a car.
3. How do we get to Ludwigs Castles from there? Is it a day trip?
4. Concrete luges?
5. Any info on rafting the rivers there?
6. Fly back from Milan or Munich?
7. Most scenic route back to Milan?
Jan 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM

I would fly from/to Munich both directions---cars are much cheaper. You can see the castle country on the way south--stay in Mittenwald or Oberammergau---spend time on Lago Garda,and then see the Salzburg area on your way back. You will need at least 10 days for this---if you have more time I would add the Val Gardena in the Dolomites. A great trip with kids.
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Bob. I should have clarified, we are ending a cruise in Venice and are then headed to Verona for a few days to rest, then on to the Alps.
Jan 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Your major decision will have to be what to do with the rental car: If you pick it up in Venice and return it in Munich, you will incur a major drop-off charge. Additionally, as mentions, rental cars in Italy are much more expensive, primarily because you MUST buy the CDW (collision damage insurance), even if your credit card company normally includes it in its contract. This can add another $30 or so to the daily rental rate.

The alternatives1) Take the train from Venice to Lake Garda. Sirmione is close to Desenzano, the RR station, connected by bus or taxi. You don't need a car at the lake, boats wil take you to all the pretty places along the lake. After your stay there, take the train to Innnsbruck - Garmisch Partenkirchen (Germany). Rent the car there, and do your touring from there, and drop the car off in Munich.

Fuessen, Linderhof are leass than a couple of hours from G-P. You then can drive south into Italy, as far as the Val Gardena exit on the Autostrada A-22, then over the Dolomite Highway to Cortina de Ampezzo, Dobbiaco, Lienz/Austria (not to be confused with Linz), over the Grossglockner Pass to Zell am See, Lofer, Berchtesgaden (Germany) to Salzburg. From there to the Munich airport.

(2) Rent you car in Venice, travel to Lake Garda, then Trento, Bolzano, Val Gardena, Cortina and Dobbiaco but then west to Brunico, Bressansone. From there, I think the closest you can return the car in Italy is Bolzano. Take the train from Bolzano to Garmisch- Partenkirchen. Pick a car up in GP and do Fuessen, Linderhof on a day trip, then drive to Salzburg and Munich. I can give a scenic and interesting routing.

(3)Do your drive from Venice and Lake Garda and continue as in (1), return the car in Milano.

My recommendation would be Itinerary 2. I don't know where you live, but the kids would probably enjoy the Bolzano - Garmisch train trip. It's quite scenic. Takes about 3 1/2 hrs., with one easy change of trains in Innsbruck.

You may want to check whether there is another car drop off between Bolzano and the Austrian border. I usually drive these routes either in my family's car or rental cars out of Germany.