Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Info required on winter travel to London / Paris.

Jul 14th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Hello Everybody,
Me and my husband are planning our first trip to London & Paris during the last week of November.We have a total of six days in which both the cities need to be covered.Could anybody advise us on the sightseeing places that cannot be missed,good economical accommodations in the city and how to dress for the weather. Also we were interested in overnight bus or trains operating between London & paris. Since we'll be time-tied we were also thinking of taking package tours.How are the local package tours if taken within Paris or is it more economical to cover the places on our own.Lots of questions in mind.Kindly help by sorting some.
Thanks for your time,
Linzy.
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:28 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34432323

This thread is re someone also planning a London/Paris trip for the same number of days, and has several useful replies.

Both the Destinations section of this site and frommers.com have suggested itineraries for each city:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...055020017.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...062020017.html
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:35 PM

If you do a search you will find hundreds of threads of things to do/see in London and Paris.

But just a couple of quick nores: the Eurostar train travels between London and Paris in a little ofer 3 hours - no overnight travel needed.

And you also really don't need any packaged tours. It is usually better (and cheaper) to do it on your own. But if you do find a package deal greatly discounted it will sometimes work out.

There are hop-on-hop-off buses in both cities that give you very good overviews and are good for 24 hours so you can split them up into 2 days.
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:36 PM

that should be "quick notes"
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Linzy, start by checking "destinations" at the top of the page. Fodors has 3 day itineraries for both London and Paris. You should be able to plan things for yourself. Both cities are easy to navigate on public transportation and you will not have enought time to venture very far.

You may want to check the airline sites. British Air and Virgin usually have packages that include airfare, hotels, transit between London and Paris (usually Eurostar), and transit from the airport to your hotel in London and from your hotel in Paris. I've found these packages to be fairly priced but I'm sure the inveterate traveler will tell you to unbundle and do everything on your own. I suggest KISS for your first trip.

Go-today also has these same types of package and there are many positive comments about them on this board.

Enjoy your trip.
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:55 AM
ira

Hi Linzy,

May I respectfully suggest that this is not a good idea?

If you consider that at least 1/2 of your arrival day, 1/2 of your departure day and all of your between cities travel day will be lost to you, you only have about 4 days.

I suggest that you do either Paris (preferred) or London, but not both in only 6 days.
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Degas

I second ira's comment above.

Yes, you can do both cities in six days, but it will be stressful and time-consuming and not allow you to properly enjoy each great cities.

A seasoned traveller who had been to Paris and London before might take that approach in a pinch. But a first time visitor is at great risk of having everything being a hectic blur as you race around checking off "must-do's" and getting ready to move to the next city or depart for home. I would do it only if I never expected to have another chance to go to Europe.

Jul 15th, 2003, 04:59 AM

Ok, here's another point of view.
Yes, you won't have much time, but you want to sample both cities, and you'll be rushed, but you can see quite a number of popular sights.

Take the advice above and do a little research at fodors.com under Destinations, for the popular things to see and do. Buy a good guidebook for each city, I like the Fodors books for London and Paris as basic guides. The Paris and London Mapguides are also good for walking around with.

You do need a map for each city; Streetwise Paris and Streetwise London can be bought or ordered in most chain bookstores. They are good both for a general overview and locating particular streets. The Mapguides mentioned above have more detail with a section of the city on each page, and also bus and subway route maps.

YOu don't say what your budget is.
Companies like go-today.com have hotel and air fare packages, maybe even combos for those cities. So do many airlines like Air France or Brit. Air or Virgin Atlantic.

Browse for hotels first either here, or at londontown.com and locate them on a map so you're sure they are reasonably central and near metro/tube stations, to be efficient in your use of time.

Popular areas in Paris are the single-digit arrondissements (districts), especially 4,5,6,7.
Popular hotel areas in London include
Victoria, Bloomsbury, South Kensington, Covent Garden.

I have files on those cities; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:11 AM

I've visited both Paris and London in November on separate trips and found it to be a fun, less crowded time to visit. The weather can still be surprisingly nice, but definately have a rainjacket/umbrella along, you will need it! I also found it helpful to have a thin pair of gloves, made all the difference to me.
I like planning my own time too, you can be as flexible as your mood and the weather require! Have fun!