Reload this Page >

Info needed on Sorrento.

Search

Info needed on Sorrento.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 01:22 PM
dina

Info needed on Sorrento.

I'm visiting Sorrento, Italy next Sept, can anyone give me hints as to what is like: safety walking around, things to do, restaurants, tours etc. and whether a 10 night stay is sufficient. Also hope to go to Rome for the day ! ok then maybe two days!

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 03:05 PM
the turnip

This is just one veggie's opinion but 10 days seems a bit much to me. You could spend three packed days in Rome and even then just barely have scratched the surface. (Forum, Colluseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's, Vatican Museum, the Villa Borghese (sp?), Nero's Golden Palace) the list is endless. From Rome I would head to Pompeii and then onto Sorrento. Use Sorrento as a base to explore down the Amalfi coast and perhaps even Capri. <BR> <BR>Sorrento itself is a tourists dream. Lots and lots of shops, flowers everywhere, friendly people. They survive on toursists and treat them well. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip in Italy! <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 06:59 AM
hamlet

A 10 night stay in Sorrento is more than sufficient - even if you are including side trips to Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Capri, Herculaneum. Unless of course you just wanted to relax in one place and "do nothing" for a few days then Sorrento would be a good base for that. But if you wanted to take advantage of being in Italy and see more of the country you could easily divide your 10 nights with Rome, and possibly even to a 3rd place. Or maybe you might want to stay on Capri for a night or two. But in general Sorrento is a very safe place to stay. Just be wary of all the tiny cars and hundreds of moped zipping around, especially when attempting to cross the street.

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Inky

Dina, shouldn't you have thought of this before deciding to go to Sorrento?

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 11:36 AM
Brian

You'll love the Amalfi coast, but just spend a few days. Make sure to visit Capri and spend at least one night there. Naples has great shopping on the streets and don't forget to catch a true Italian opera at Theatro De San Carlos. Don't forget Pompeii just for the history and awe. <BR>Rome is another story. Be sure to take 2-3 days minimum. The Vatican is a must and takes a least half a day. Even if you're not Catholic you'll be amazed by the city and the art! On to the Roman forum. Stand in the amongst the ruins and marvel at the fact that you are in the center on the beginning of civilized man! Rome is something to absorb, don't rush too much. Have fun.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 09:47 PM
zelda

Dina, <BR>We just recently returned from a two week trip to italy. A week in Roma and a week on the Amalfi coast. We stayed in a Villa in Piano di Sorrento. We went into Sorrento for grocery shopping, banks etc... Lovely town, but I think 10 days is a long time for just Sorrento. Rome is a three+ hour drive from Sorrento, so plan before you go. Sorrento would be a good place to have a base. Day trips to Capri by ferry, and if you have an auto drive down the coast to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. The busses also run along the coast highway. Don't miss Ravello. It's beautiful! Have a great trip!

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 04:37 AM
DINA

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE AND TIPS - SEEN AS OUR TRAVEL PLANS ARE FLEXIBLE - WE'LL MOST LIKLEY SPEND 7 NIGHTS IN SORRENTO AND 3 NIGHTS IN ROME. ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD REASONABLE PRICED HOTEL IN ROME (NOT TOO FAR FROM THE TRAIN STATION)

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 05:03 AM
Bruce B

RE: Hotel in Rome <BR> <BR>Try one of the Best Western hotels. We stayed at the Art Deco - about $130 a night including breakfast - nice quiet street, near the station and subway stop. Also - Hotel Canada is near the train station too. <BR> <BR>Sorrento is very safe to walk around in - it has a great downtown and some terrific sea-views, but I think even 7 days is still a day or two too long. It is s small town and you will be traveling outside to see other places like Pompeii, Herculeneum, Capri, etc. Why not 4 or 5 days in Sorrento and then 2 or 3 days each in a couple of other places. <BR> <BR>"Rome for a day" just isn't going to cut it - too much travel time, not enough sightseeing. You could spend a couple of weeks in Roma and still not see everything. Go back to the planning board and try a 4-3-2 day trip plan in 3 different places. <BR> <BR>Bruce B.