Reload this Page >

info needed on Dordogne region

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
marc

I am JUST NOW putting together our summer itinerary for France and Spain in July. We'll be flying to Paris and train to the Dordogne. I have been to the Loire region, but my fifteen yr/o daughter has not. I would like for her to experience it or is the Dordogne even better?? Not ever having been to the Dordogne, I am not sure in what city to rent a car. Also, are there any good websites for me to view to find accomodations or would we be safe to just "wing it" in July?? "Thanks"

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:59 PM
clairobscur

It's different. The loire valley, IMO, has few interesting landscape, but exceptional renaissance monuments. The Dordogne's landscape is more beautiful, and the monuments and little towns date back to the middle ages.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:23 PM
StCirq

Marc:<BR><BR>I agree that the Dordogne is more beautiful than the Loire, and it has even more castles (but not many Renaissance ones)! In addition, it has prehistoric sites galore, beautiful rivers to swim and canoe and kayak in, and plenty of other things to keep a 15-year-old amused and interested - has she seen the movie "Ever After?" It was filmed in the Dordogne. <BR>You could take the TGV to Bordeaux and drive (about 2.5 hours into the heart of the Dordogne) or take the slow train (my preference) to P&eacute;rigueux and pick up a car there, and you'd be about 45 minutes from the center of the area most desirable to visit, which is within about a 30-mile radius of Sarlat. There are trains to Sarlat, too, but it's a slower, more arduous journey, and I wouldn't recommend it.<BR>I wouldn't "wing it" in the Dordogne as far as accommodations go in July. Starting July 1, the area becomes fairly crowded, and though there are plenty of accommodations, you'd probably spend a good bit of your vacation time hunting them down and would probably have to settle for less than the best. There are hundreds of websites with information - go to Google and type in Dordogne (or P&eacute;rigord) h&eacute;b&eacute;rgement or Dordogne (or P&eacute;rigord) accommodations and you'll see how many offerings there are - everything from farm stays to B&Bs to inns to hotels...If you need further information, I'd be happy to help.

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:37 PM
gary

Try this web site :<BR>www.villaconsuls.com<BR>You will find many informations about Dordogne (transport, tourism, accomodations..). <BR>"La Villa des Consuls" rent wonderful vacation rentals in the heart of Sarlat's medieval quarter (2 days minimum). We went there last summer and it was a great experience !

Old May 10th, 2002, 02:11 PM
marc

Thanks everyone for your invaluable information!!

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:52 AM
MK

Things to do in the Dordogne. Walk around P&eacute;rigueux's old town. Visit Bourdeilles for its compact furnished Renaissance chateau on the grounds of a medieval castle overlooking a Renaissance mill in the middle of the river. As a further curiosity, there is a giant Sequoia planted around 1840 on the other side of the river. Rouffignac caves a still accessible, but the paintings are monochrome. There are canoe trips available down the Dordogne, starting near Sarlat. Hautefort is a 17th century chateau, heavily bur accurately rebuilt after a fire around 1970. Get to Sarlat on Saturday--it's market day.

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:43 PM
elvira

The Dordogne region is my favorite place in France, next to Paris. The Michelin guide for Dordogne-Berry-Limousin is excellent for all the stuff to see (nothing like visiting Hautefort the day after tromping through a subterranean cave to get the blood a-flowin'). There's a book now out of print, but maybe available on Amazon.com or at the library titled "The Companion Guide to Gascony and the Dordogne" by Richard Barber which has a lot of information about things to see, and the history of the area.<BR><BR>For a truckload of information, write to: Comite Departemental du Tourisme de la Dordogne, 25, rue du President Wilson 24009 Perigueux <BR>and: Aquitaine Regional Tourist Board, 23, Parvis des Chartrons 33074 Bordeaux <BR><BR>I don't know if I got this in a packet of stuff or picked it up while I was there, so I don't know if they'd send it to you for free, but it's got incredible information in it:<BR>The Dordogne Guide, 3, chemin de la Monzie 24000 Perigueux <BR><BR>If you rent a car in Bordeaux, do it at the airport. We found the city driving to be icky (like no parking anywhere) and were glad to pick up/drop off the cars at the airport. As St Cirq says, the trainride to Perigueux is much prettier and it's a much smaller city than Bordeaux.<BR><BR>For driving directions, go to <BR>www.mappy.fr If you click on the cities, you'll get a map and click on <BR>hebergements for places to stay (it's all in French, but you can sort of figure it out if you don't read French). If you are going to be in the Dordogne for a week or more, look into renting a house or apartment - although it's a little late, your choices will be limited - because the markets will make you want to run back and cook!

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:23 AM
marc

Thanks Elvira. I just decided that I cannot fit both the Provence and Dordogne regions into my trip. Am leaning towards eliminating Provence. I guess you agree with that huh?? Thanks for all your helpful information above. Yes, I would love to stay for a week and cook, but my fifteen yr/o daughter would have ants in her pants!!

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Sue

I loved Sarlat, Lascaux II (the reproduction of Lascaux, which is closed to the public), the Gouffre de Padirac (underground caves), Rocamadour--perched precariously on a hillside.