Reload this Page >

inexpensive six days in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 08:31 AM
sandi

Any suggestions for an inexpensive destination in France for students? We have six days, and have been to Normandy, Provence, Toulouse, Annecy and Paris. Maybe somewhere to rent bikes etc.?

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Sue

How about the Loire?

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Mary

A few years ago we rented a "houseboat" and cruised the Canal du Rhone. We used Locaboat Plaisance (www.locaboat.com). The great part of this mode of travel was that you "moved" your home with you. It was one of my best trips to France. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:38 PM
StCirq

How about the Dordogne? You can rent bikes very cheaply at most tourist offices and campgrounds, there are plenty of farms and guest houses where you can spend the night for $20 or so, and there is a wealth of things to see and do. Getting there would be your greatest expense - about $80 RT on a train from Paris.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Rex

You might wish to read more about the Lot valley, which is a "cousin" to the Dordogne, and vaguely part of the Perigord. <BR> <BR>From the Sunday, April 29 issue on www.latimes.com - - <BR> <BR>http://www.latimes.com/travel/specials/europe <BR> <BR>with features on the Lot valley in France, traveling with kids in England, and the charms of Maastricht (Netherlands). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>http://communities.msn.com/RexBickers/messageboard.msnw <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 12:02 PM
elvira

Dordogne would be my first choice, the Languedoc my second (beaches, great wines, inexpensive accommodations).

Old May 1st, 2001, 03:48 PM
Jean Valjean

Almost anywhere in France you can find "Formule 1" hotels. This has got to be the least expensive way to travel (with the probable exception of camping). You get a room for three people for around US$20. They are usually quite clean and modern. <BR> <BR>I believe you can find information at www.accor.com <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 04:50 PM
Judy

How about Brittany area (not the beach resorts), there are many interesting historical old towns,beautiful golden sand beaches,thousands years old maegalithes, lovely long walking pathes,$25-$30 for clean room with bath,less than $10 for good 3 courses meals.and cheap bus network.or you could try the self-guide biking or walking tours arranged by Brittany tourist board, such as 918F(around $125) for6 days biking tour including B &B,, maps and kits,biking rental,museums cards.