Inexpensive Places for Student Lunches in London, Paris, and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer I am taking about fifteen college students to Europe. The tour company will provide dinner, but I would appreciate any suggestions about where the kids can eat during the day on student budgets. I would like for them to avoid McDonald's, if possible, and instead enjoy some reasonably priced local foods. Any good ideas?
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM

In London, pubs. Some people also like sandwich shops such as Pret a Manger, others think they charge too much for a sandwich. Indian food is always available.

In Paris, street food (creperies, etc.)

In Rome, tiny little stand-up sandwich shops, or anywhere with pizza. Gelato would get them through calorically, too.

These are the places we eat lunch by choice, not just for budgetary reasons.

Make sure they know that a Coke will set them back WAY more money than they expect.

And you could tip them off about McDonald's actually having a valuable place in European trips -- they always have a bathroom you can use.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:10 PM

Forgot! Museums in Europe have surprisingly good food compared to what I've found in U.S. museums. I had the most insanely great cheese platter at the Louvre, and was always happy with the food at the British Museum and the British Library. The Vatican museum's cafeteria is also pretty good.

The advantage is that they're convenient places to eat (and you can get wine with your meals, too). The disadvantage is that you can overspend in the cafeteria-style settings if you're not paying attention. It's not a top-of-the-line dining experience, but it's better than you might expect.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM

The crepe stands in Paris are a good suggesation; I would add the baguette ham sandwiches from street vendors
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM

In Paris:

La Brioche Dorée chains - great for sandwiches and salads

Lina's - another chain good for the same

Paul - same

Le Bistro Romain - more than sandwiches and salads, but good value

Chartier - for a cheap but unique Parisian dining experience
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM

We are big fans of street food and have bought good sandwiches from carts in London, and from lots of bakeries in Paris. Also, pizza slices from bakeries in Rome are almost always delicious.

Crepes, as mentioned, are a great treat in Paris.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:30 AM

wagamama would work. look at their website - complete with menu. There is one near the British Meseum and around the corner from the National gallery. My son's class went there after a field trip. Each kid had already chosen his meal and had exact change for their portion of the bill.
Bonus- most are large enough to seat all in your group at once
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:57 AM

"This summer I am taking about fifteen college students to Europe. The tour company will provide dinner, but I would appreciate any suggestions about where the kids can eat during the day on student budgets. I would like for them to avoid McDonald's, if possible, and instead enjoy some reasonably priced local foods."

Forget it. Reasonably prices? London? Places like are Pret a Manger charge 2-3 times the same so-so sandwiches you can get at home. The best bet for cheap and local is to go to food shops for meats pies and stuff like that. Victoria station is good for that. Surprisingly, so is Harrods.

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:07 AM

I'm in the same boat as UNCalum - I will have 18 students in London, Paris and a few other cities across France. Since my group is high school students, I see lots of McDonald's in their future!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:08 AM

In London you can get pretty good food from Marks & Spencer food halls.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
How long is your stay in each city? Most student tours are so fast-paced that you won't have time to select places to eat. You will usually be in a touristy area at lunch and the guide will give you some free time to eat and shop (1-2 hours).
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

These tours do indeed move at a rapid pace; however, we should have free time from about 11:00 AM until the dinner hour in each of these cities on at least a couple of days. Thus, we will be able to make some choices regarding lunches.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I appreciate your good ideas, and the students will as well. All additional thoughts are welcome!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've taken students on these tours before and have used 3 different companies. I think college age students will want to wander off on their own and find places to eat. They will all have different tastes and budgets. I would provide each one with a good map of each city and let them explore and discover their own places. They will need some non-group time.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM

There is a great food hall in the lower level of the Louvre. Prices are reasonable and the food good. Also the location 8is very convenient for touring the museum..Avoid McD. If you can find the solution let us all know. However McD has clean toilets if you can get the password or grab the door when someone comes out...
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM

As you are students: ISIC (International Student Identity card) will offer you benefits all over Europe. First, you can eat at university commons (French: Resto-U; Germaan: Mensa). Do some google research for it. University commons are a good place to meet young people who are supposed to speak English. In addition, being able to produce a ISIC, you will get a studentīs knockoff on tickets for museums and other places of cultural interest.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
mjs

If you will be near any of the local universities you can often eat at their cafeterias at a subsidised rate with a ISIC card. Might be able to meet some local students that way too. Unfortunately it has been a long time since I was a student and cannot add more details but when I was down in London I would often eat at the Cafeteria at the University of London ( Malet St.?) You also used to be able to do this in Paris. The food in Rome used to be cheap enough so I did not use University dining facilities when traveling there.
Do not eat at Wagamama which is a very mediocre Japanese restaurant chain. Would rather visit the markets and eat cheeses, bread, fruit, salami's etc.
This last option by the way is the most student like way of eating while on the go by cheap in Europe.