Reload this Page >

In Turkey now, would appreciate somequick advice

Apr 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Les
Original Poster

Hi,

We're currently in Bodrum, Turkey, Staying at the Hilton Resort on the outskirts of town.

We're heading to Dalyan in the morning, and would like a recommendation for a nice hotel or resort (on a level similar to the Hilton), not necessarily a chain hotel, but would have no problem staying at one. More important is that the hotel provide an upscale experience, not necessarily a native one. We're not here for a vacation (i.e., not planning on lounging around the hotel all day), but rather for using various cities as a base for sightseeing, and want to relax in a nice hotel at the end of the day.

Any suggestions (particularly personal experience) would be appreciated, and clearly a timely response would help.

Thank you.
Apr 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM

I do not know of one in dalyan, but we were very pleased with Ece Saray in Fethiye.

I did not stay at it but there is a Hilton at Sarigerme which is only 15 kilometers from Dalyan. There is also an Iber Hotel, a Robinson and some others at Sarigerme, but those are all resort hotels.
Apr 26th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Les
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll have a look at those. Tomorrow night or the next night, we'll be in Fethiye, plan to stay for 2 or 3 days as a base for exploring, so thanks for that info also.
Apr 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Les
Original Poster

otherchelebi,

spent Saturday at the Dalyon Resort, was OK.
Spent last night and will spend tonight at the Ece Saray in Fethiye. Very pleasant, thanks for the suggestion.
Heading for Kas tomorrow for a night or two before heading on to Antalya to finish the Turkish part of our trip. Any hotel suggestions for either of those cities?

Thanks again for your help.
Apr 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM

We did not stay overnight in Kas but at the village of Ucagiz which has some very spartan/basic places but with advantage of direct access to boats and kayaks on kekova bay and to Kalekoy.

Our favorite hotel in Antalya is Hillside Su. However, there used to be also some pleasant small restored Ottoman houses as boutique hotels in the old town. I do not know how they have fared though .

I am glad you liked Ece Saray. If Martha is still at front desk say hello from the couple who forgot two bags of morel mushrooms in the hotel fridge two years ago in May.

That reminds me, check at the fish market, to se if there are any peasants selling the morels, usually less than $10/bag. The restaurants there will sautee them for you with some onions for a delicious starter or side dish. Also try the Pide at Paspatur. for a quick lunch or share one with tea in the afternoon.
May 1st, 2013, 06:35 AM
Les
Original Poster

otherchelebi, thanks again.

We did indeed meet Martha at the Ece Saray, but that was before your reply. She was not at the hotel after that, so could not ask her about you.

After stopping in Kas, decided to give it a pass. Like Bodrum, it was too crowded and noisy and "happening" for us. Instead, we went on to Ucagiz and negotiated a boat trip to Kekova Island, then took the long drive to Antalya. We're leaving tomorrow for the Datca peninsula to bum around for the next couple of days, then back to Bodrum to drop the car and catch a ferry to Kos (Greece), which will end the Turkey part of our trip.

We're trying to decide whether to get the ferry from Bodrum to Kos on Saturday evening (May 4) or Sunday morning (May 5). In any case, plan is to stay just one night on Kos and then move on.

Do you have any recommendations for a nice hotel in Kos Town, close to the harbor? I plan to post the same question in the Greece forum, but your input has always been so helpful, I thought I'd also ask here.

Thanks again for your help.
May 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM

Les, sorry but I have no experience on lodging at Kos.

However the following short (for me ) trip report may be useful for Datca :

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-the-bees.cfm
May 1st, 2013, 08:24 AM

Les, this is very helpful as we are planning a similar itinerary. I have been trying to decide whether to stay in Fethiye or Kas and your comments are making me think I should choose Fethiye. You liked the Ece Saray. Dd you like Fethiye itself as well?
May 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM
Les
Original Poster

otherchelebi,

Thanks for your reply. Although we aren't beachgoers, the trip report will be very helpful to us.

HappyTrvlr, we chose Fethiye because it's an excellent base for exploring the archaeological wonders within a short drive of the town. We chose the Ece Saray at the suggestion of otherchelebi, and found the marina location to be a pleasant respite from the hustle and bustle of the busy town, and a peaceful place to relax after a day of exploring.

The hotel itself is perfectly situated, facing onto the marina and isolated from through traffic, allowing us to throw open the balcony doors and enjoy the vista. The room (actually a suite) was very nice, but didn't come cheaply (well, I asked for a nice hotel, didn't I?). But there seems to be a pervasive perception among the several Turkish hotels that we've stayed at that things are done according to season, in particular, they don't turn on the central air conditioning if it's not "time", regardless of the temperature. Since it is "unseasonably" warm here, we were forced to endure unpleasantly warm rooms, and no amount of coaxing could convince management to remedy the situation. This was true of other hotels we've stayed at on this trip (including some of the more expensive ones, such as the Hilton Resort and Spa outside of Bodrum). By contrast, we are now at the Rixos Downtown in Antalya (previously a Sheraton hotel); the weather is very warm, but we actually had to turn off the air conditioning because the room got too cold. That's more what I would expect from a top rated hotel. However, I'm sure that the air conditioning "season" will soon be upon us, so that may not present a problem for you.

As for the things to see around Fethiye, the highlight of our trip so far was the ruins and tombs at Tlos (sometimes spelled Tloss on the signs). Another interesting place, )and a Unesco World Heritage Site) was the abandoned Greek city of Kayakoy.
We found the ruins at Xanthos (another Unesco World Heritage Site) to be disappointing, and were I King of the World, I would remove the World Heritage title from Xanthos and bestow it upon Tlos. But, alas, my wife keeps reminding me that I'm not King of the World (or even of my own domain).

Hope this helps you in some way.
May 1st, 2013, 12:08 PM

Les, this is so very helpful. Thank you. You may be considered King of the World in our book. We will take a ferry to Rhodes from Fethiye so doing a somewhat similar itinerary.
As far as the a/c being turned on and off on set dates, we experienced that in Italy several times. One time there was a terrible heat wave in the Italian lakes in early September and we really suffered.
While in Fethiye, we plan to explore the ruins, visit Dalyan, and perhaps do the 12 Islands day trip. Thoughts on those?
May 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM
Les
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr,

This is not our first trip to Greece and Turkey.

Our first trip (3 years ago) was 6 weeks long. We took a 15 day tour in Turkey (there were only 5 people on the tour, owing to the Icelandic volcano eruption, so it was almost like a private tour), hitting all he tourist must-see's such as Istanbul, Ephesis, Dydima, etc. This trip (no tour, just a rental car) will be 7 weeks long. We're covering essentially the same territory in Turkey (Aegean and Mediterranian coasts), filling in those sites that the first trip omitted.

As for Greece part of the first trip (freelance, no tour), we flew from Istanbul to Rhodes, and then ferried on to Santorini and Mykonos (about 3 days on each), ending up in Athens (again for 3 days). Then we rented a car in Athens and did a driving tour of central Greece and the Peloponnese.
On this trip, we're hitting different islands (although Santorini and Mykonos still beckon), and again plan to end up in Athens, just for one night, long enough to pick up a car and explore northern Greece (Thessalonika). We're allowing a month for the greece part of this trip, but haven't yet formulated where exactly, and for how long.

Both the islands and the mainland of Greece were amazing, and rather than choose between them, we prefer to do both. I can't comment on the 12 Islands day trip, but as for us, we like the option of staying on an island longer than one day, if we find that we like it. And our experience with driving the mainland was so positive that we feel we need to "finish" Greece by exploring the north.
May 1st, 2013, 03:07 PM

We spent an extended time in Greece a few years ago and loved it too, slow travel style,several islands, Peloponnesean, using ferries and rental cars, renting houses, a lot of time on Crete. We're thinking of returning to Athens to see the new Acropolis Museum.
The 12 islands boat out of Fethiye is a day trip to places that the overnight gulets cover. So we're trying to see it all without having to sleep on a gulet! I love your travel style. Happy travels to you and your wife.
May 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Les
Original Poster

OK, plans have been modified (for the better). Instead of driving from Antalya all the way to Datca, we decided to use Marmaris as a base for a couple of days (this shortened our driving day and allowed for a relaxing dinner and stroll around Marmaris). Marmaris is a thriving beach town (like Bodrum). However, unlike Bodrum, Marmaris is more manageable, and the waterfront in the evening is a pleasure to stroll around (can't believe the number of restaurants concentrated in that area). Fodors does a disservice to Marmaris by making it sound unattractive in their guide book; our stay here so far has been very pleasant. We still haven't figured out what demographic Fodors is addressing, but we'll continue to calibrate it as we go along.

otherchelebi, we had a wonderful day today on the peninsula, driving to Datca, and on to Knidos. The peninsula is absolutely beautiful, and Knidos is a highlight not to be missed. Sorry to harp on this, but Fodors description of the road from Datca to Knidos would tend to discourage people from taking the drive there. While the road is narrow (at times only one car wide) and potholed in a few places, it is paved all the way and very manageable (of course, being from Colorado, we don't find mountain driving to be daunting; others may). I definitely urge you to see Knidos if you're in the area.