In need of advice Train vs Car France & Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to France and Germany. First part of my trip is in France,the Normany region, I'm landing at CDG. Do I take the train to Caen or do I rent a car? I would like to visit Honfleur, Omaha Beach and Mont Saint Michel. I am wondering what would benefit me best? I have never rented a car in Europe before so kind of nervous.

As for my journey from France to Germany I plan on using TGV. If I understand this correctly I can either print my ticket up at home or pick it up in France. I believe that going through TGV will same me money versus using Rail Europe.

As for Germany has anyone used the German Rail Pass? I found the 2nd or 1st Class Twin German Rail Pass, it looks too good to be true. If I order them, do I need to reserve seats? Or should I buy the tickets as I go?

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you very much!
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Yes, it depends on how many days you will be on the trains once you get to Germany. I had s Germany-Austria flex pass that worked well for me. There were only a few trains I encountered where seats had been reserved. People were kind enough to let me know and how to find an unreserved seat on the train.

I have the sane reservations as you about renting a car, but am planning to do it for the Dordogne region. You could probably get to D-Day beaches by train and bus.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Renting cars we call Autoeurope using the toll free number, not the website.

It is reasonable to drive out of CDG, depending upon what shape you are in after the flight. Some like to spend a night at La Chaine D’or in Les Andelys before going on.

Trains to Caen originate from Gare du Nord in Paris. You can get there from CDG using the RER [suburban train].

Booking french trains:

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 11:27 PM

<i>Trains to Caen originate from Gare du Nord in Paris.</i>

According to www.sncf.com, trains to Caen originate from the gare Saint Lazare.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the help!
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:40 AM

As for Germany has anyone used the German Rail Pass? I found the 2nd or 1st Class Twin German Rail Pass, it looks too good to be true. If I order them, do I need to reserve seats? Or should I buy the tickets as I go?>

You may look at the France-Germany railpass as well since you are also taking trains in France. I have used many railpasses in Germany - and in Germany you can hop on any train anytime with a very few exceptions on ICE Sprinter trains that the ordinary traveler will never need or want to use - just show up at station and hop on.

Go to www.bahn.de to get prices for trains in Germany - you will note that so-called Spar fares offer deep discounts but are sold in limited numbers and often sell out way before the train - thus you must lock yourself into a non-changeable non-refundable train weeks in advance - fully flexible fares like the pass offers cost a ton so it depends kind of on whether you want flexibility and spontaneity or not.

For oodles of great info on trains in those countries I always spotlight these fantastic IMO sites http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id8.html; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - the latter is a font of good info on discount fares in both countries.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:05 AM

It all depends on how long your trip is and how much moving around you'll be doing.

A railpass is wonderful, as PQ has indicated, in that you can just hop on and hop off any train without worrying aobut preplanning and having to run to catch a train on which you have purchased a noncancellable, non-refundable ticket.

OTOH, if you're not going for too long or planning on taking too many train trips, then the single ticket route can result in some good amount of savings - but you do have to plan very well ahead of time.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:45 AM

I would suggest you take the train from Paris (yes, it does leave from Gare St Lazare) to Bayeux and base yourself there. You could rent a car there (right at the train station) for trips to the D-Day beaches, Mt St Michel, and Honfleur. Or, you could sign up for a D-Day tour and take the Hotel Churchill's day trip to Mt. St. Michel. Train tickets are pretty inexpensive, especially if you get them in advance.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Bayeux IMo is the best base for the D-day beaches, just out of town. If into cycling rent a bike - I have biked throughout the area and if you stick to the D or departement roads you will have few cars - or hop any of many d-day mini-bus tours from Bayeux - no need to reserve just drop into the Bayeux tourist office and sign up for that day or other.

You can take the train from Bayeux to Mont-Sain-Michel and stay there and take the train from there back to Paris (by taking a bus from Pontorson - city near MSMichel to Rennes to hop TGVs to Paris.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Fly into CDG and take a taxi or public transportation to the Gare SSt-Lazare. Take the train to Caen - you have a far better selection of rental cars and car outfits there (call AutoEurope at 1-800-223-5555; don't use the website) than in Bayeux. Book your hotel in Bayeux, though. Be sure to plan half a day at the Mémorial Museum in Caen, which is about a half-hour drive at most from Bayeux. Then visit the beaches, Arromanches, le Mont-Saint-Michel, and head back to Paris via Honfleur and maybe Deauville and Trouville. You might want to stop at Chartres on the way back, too, and if so drop the car off there and take the train back to Paris.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM

half a day at the Mémorial Museum in Caen,>

half-day at this rather small museum - yeh an hour or so was enough for us - great relief map for overview of the whole area - but I guess if you want to watch videos for a half day it would be possible.

Have a quick look at least though as this is the most comprehensive and modern and informative museum on the D-Day Landings and should yes be a first stop but do not IMO waste a half day that could be better spent elsewhere.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Wow, PalenQ, you must have skipped a lot at the Caen Peace Museum. We took more than half a day, but we get really involved at good museums, which this one is.

You can hop on trains at will in Germany when using a pass, but not in France. There, for the faster trains, you will need to buy a seat reservation. And the number of these available is limited, can run out on popular routes.

StCirq gives good advice. If you're arriving after a long, overnight flight, don't hop into a rental car and drive any distance.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Well I guess what one lingers at at museums varies greatly from one to another - I would rather be out where the real action was rather than studying it like I could well do at home on the Internets. But a Chacun son Gout as St Cirq likes to say! If you got loads of time yeh a half-day there may be great but if it comes at the expense of poking around Bayeux - seeing queen Matilda' Tapestry, the great cathedral, walking along the beaches, sobering moments at the Colville-sur-Mer cemetery and popping in on literally dozens it seems of other less-heralded museums along the coast... so it depends on how long you will be in the area - if only a day or so why spend half of the time in some museum whose exhibits you can study at home?

well that is just my take of course and again a chacun son gout (or whatever that archaic expression St Cirq keeps saying that no real French speaker today ever says is!
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM

Renting a car at CDG has the advantage of assembling your group and baggage and going as you please, but I'd be wary of driving right up to Bayeux in one go. Jet lag is a real danger. I've been in an accident where jet lag was involved, and that was the day after they arrived.
If you try to book a tour for the next day you will be very lucky to get one. Book In advance.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:42 AM

http://www.memorial-caen.fr/portailgb/

actually the Peace Mmuseum is oficially called The Memorial of Caen (Le Memorial de Caen) - pursue the web site to help get a good fix on what lays ahead in your exploration.

And I do agree wholeheartedly with St Cirq that this should be your first stop in the area - it's on the outskirts of Caen going towards Bayeux - plenty of parking - if short on time take at least a quick glance at the large relief map showing all the invasions, etc. to get a feel for the lay of the land.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wealth of information, I really appreciate it. We will not be on a very long trip, only 8 days. Plus we seem to move fast, so I agree I would probably not plan for half a day at a museum. As for jetlag, I never have had a problem with it. I'm a horrible sleeper, so.... plus I take the Red eye. Every year I plan a trip and give myself a budget, and every year I try to see how well I can do. I've been to Paris twice, however the Normandy Area will be a first. Germany is a first as well, I usually do more homework before I book. This year has flown by. I have a count down till the trip and I know it will be here before I know it. Again thank you!