Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In need of a warm waterproof jacket - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 10:23 PM
Kathleen

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can locate (or mail order) a lined waterproof jacket. I've read about lined Gortex jackets on here, but no one stated where they got them. I live in Southern California (where we rarely need such an item), but will be traveling to Ireland/Scotland for the holidays. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 11:11 PM
Sheila

Kathleen, I think what you need are interactive jackets. A Goretex shell into which you can zip a fleece interior. <BR> <BR>I'm fairly certain you can get them from LL Bean in the US. Over here, try Hawkshead or Land's End.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 02:52 AM
Jo-Ann

How about REI in California.They have a <BR>wide selection

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:26 AM
Marc David Miller

Try <BR> <BR>www.llbean.com <BR> <BR>which can deliver overseas.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:14 AM
bob

I just bought one of these and love it. <BR>Goto www.sportsauthority.com and select apparrel. They have a Columbia Bugaboo jacket which has a zip out fleece lining you can wear by itself. Its $140 and shipping is free. The only thing I wish it had was some sort of rain hood zipped in the collar.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:34 AM
Tony Hughes

Can't beat a Schott jacket for warmth, practicality, comfort and, of course, a cool label. <BR> <BR>Available in NYC

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Richard

Two very good suggestions above, a zip-out liner and a hood that rolls into the collar. REI is a good source, they have a special on now, free shipping for items ordered on or before 15 Dec. Their web site is www.rei.com. Their flyer, "Holiday Gifts 2000", lists a Gore-Tex parka @ $225 and a Polartec vest @ $40.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 06:58 AM
bob

REI is my favorite store, but in this case, really didnt have a good selection of items. I was in the store and online but couldnt find anything that I liked.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 07:16 AM
sam

Maybe this does not answer the question, but I just got back from Europe and I had bought a Bill Blass longer dark coat (rain repellent)which had a lining it it that zipped out if needed. It was dressy, casual and was not multi-colored like many of the Gore-Tex stuff. It also had internal zippered pockets where I could keep wallet, passport, etc. without worry. I would look for London Fog, or other longer coats. You will look classy and get protection without looking like a rainbow. Of course, this is only my suggestion, I am sure the other suggestions are also nice.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Julius

Tony, Tony: I never thought YOU would be into designer labels. I'm shocked!!

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 08:00 AM
Tony Hughes

Julius <BR> <BR>Am sure your tongue was placed firmly in cheek, yes? <BR> <BR>Good things about many Schott labels is that they can be taken off - they are deliberately stuck on with velcro.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 08:58 PM
Louise

Hi Kathleen. Also try travelsmith.com. They have lots of travel clothing for both men and women. If you're in southern Cal, they may have an outlet nearby. Good luck

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 09:05 PM
Jean Leloup

Michigan and Ireland/Scotland over the holidays? Wow. I am greatly impressed.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 09:48 PM
Kathleen

Hi Jean, <BR> <BR>Yes, I'm off to Michigan to spend Christmas with family and then will head from there to Europe for a few weeks. So as you can see, a warm rainproof jacket will be a necessity. <BR> <BR>Thanks for everyone's great advice!

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 03:52 AM
dry and warm

Kathleen, <BR>I do not know where you live in Southern California, but there are many Sports Authority stores located throughout the area. Ontario Mills, and many in San Diego. I just purchased a wonderful Helly Hanson jacket that did just the trick for my travel abroad. If these stores are not close just jump on the internet and go to www.sportsauthority.com

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 04:00 AM
Paige

Try Eddie Bauer at eddiebauer.com.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 05:17 AM
frank

I find that a black plastic bag stuffed with newspapers is very effective. <BR> If you have money to spend buy a MUSTO jacket or long coat. <BR> Not only do they work, they have maximum country cred.The brand is essentially for horsepeople but the gear is very weather proof & hardwearing.