Reload this Page >

In and around Barcelona

Search

In and around Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 08:05 PM
Cindy

In and around Barcelona

My company has a big convention in Barcelona in mid-July -- I'll be working non-stop, but will have four days after the meeting to take in the sights. I'm hoping to relax a little -- and see historic sites. I wasn't planning to rent a car...train would certainly be an option. Do I stay in Barcelona for the entire time? Is there something else around the area that would be worth making a special trip to see? I was planning to stay at the Duques de Bergara --not sure if anyone has heard of it..??? <BR> <BR>Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 09:27 PM
wendy

Where can I forward my resume? <BR> <BR>With four days, I say spend the time in Barcelona, maybe a day trip to Montserrat. <BR>There is lots to see and do in Barcelona! There's the Picasso Museum, the Barrio Gotico, the Eixample, Las Ramblas, Olympic Palace, on and on. With four days, you'll have ample time to get to know the city.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 03:34 AM
Valerie

Loved Barcelona! You only need about 3 full days there. We stayed on the Paseo de Gracia which was a great wide shopping street with a lot of nice restaurants.(reminded me of a little Champs Elysee in Paris) We really liked the area for the Hotel. The Ramblas was interesting, but watch out for pick pocket people there. Great architecture from Antonio Gaudi all around the city. If you are short of time, I would skip the Olimpic Village. But by all means take a cab up to Gaudi's house on the hill. Lucky you!

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 08:19 PM
mora

Hi Cindy. Lucky you to go to a convention in Barcelona, I imagine all paid for. There is lots to see. Las Ramblas. If you like food you'll love the Mercat de la Boqueria on the Rambla of Sant Josep. Some churches there also. <BR>The best place for me is Park Guell by Gaudi. I didn't think the Picasso musseum was worth it but I'm not a fan of his work. The Cathedral is beautiful and around there is the Barrio Gotico. <BR>Also interesting to see is La Sagrada <BR>Familia. And eating is always good and there are lots and lots of places. Hope you speak some Spanish. I didn't have any problem with pickpockets but I'm sure it pays to be aware and take a money belt. Don't carry anything in your purse that you would hate to lose. <BR>I also enjoy watching people. There is a Cafe Zurich where everybody go and you can people watch. Have fun! <BR>

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 12:45 PM
Cassandra

Hi, Lucky Cindy -- I'll be happy to forward my resume, too! Barcelona's my favorite city. <BR> <BR>Second the vote for Parc Guell -- don't miss it, and look around as you walk up from the Metro to the park. But also don't miss the Museu de la Musica. Tours at specified hours -- get the ticket in the gift shop nearby. You can't imagine beauty of the huge stained glass skylight. Not that much to see at Olympic area, but the Miro Foundation museum is fun, can be done in an hour or so. Sagrada Familia and the old Cathedral are an interesting contrast to each other -- and neither is a lengthy visit. I'd consider 3 days in Barcelona and one outside, either up to Montserrat or out to Tossa on the Costa Brava or some similar side trip -- just so you have a sense of what's around the city. But we "only" had 4 days there, and I wanted more. (Agree Picasso museum less wonderful than Miro or Gaudi stuff -- the roof of La Pedrera/Casa Mila is amazing.) <BR> <BR>Food: Cafe de l'Academia. Best gazpacho ever, lovely surround, but make sure you know what you're ordering. My husband guessed on a pork dish and got kidneys and knuckles! My salmon was incredible. <BR> <BR>Language: knowing Spanish helps, but everything's in Catalan first, Spanish or English second. You'll be fine. <BR> <BR>Ramblas: British consul told me he spends all his time helping those ripped off/pickpocketed on the Ramblas and advised that almost any sidestreet is safer, even if it doesn't look like that. But mainly, be alert and keep anything you don't want to lose inside your clothing. We never felt threatened but we never took chances -- unlike a friend who was surprised when someone lifted the backpack she put down next to her chair at a cafe on the Ramblas.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 10:35 AM
Thomas Nastos

You can easily stay in Barcelona and not regret it. Do the touristy things first. Then walk, walk, walk. But not more than one or two minutes on the Ramblas south from Placa Catalunya towards the river. But going north Ramblas from PC is rather nice. Sit and have a Jerez and you'll see mostly locals, I think. The places are nice and safe as are the places on Passeig de Gracia, again north of PC. Go to the old cathedral on Sunday if you are there, lucky, and watch the sardana dancing, only on sundays, alors. The flamenco show on the Ramblas is a bit gauch but I think worth a visit once. We've been to Barcelon 3 times and altho we will be in Madrid and Pamplona we are missing Barcelona this trip. Buen viaje.