Reload this Page >

IMPENDING UNDERGROUND STRIKE...HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:58 AM
BUZZ

I need a spot of advice concerning the upcoming Tube strike(s) in London. Apparently I’ll be landing in Heathrow on the first day of the March 26th strike. I’ve been there before and have always just hopped on the Tube to Russell Square. Now I’m wondering whether I’ll even be able to get to Russell Square. A friend told me that the last time there was a strike at the Underground there were 2 hour queues to even get on a bus and that the taxi ride cost him nearly as much as his airline tickets.<BR><BR>As I understand it the strike is supposed to be over by noon on the 28th, does anyone know if that’s so?<BR><BR>How about this idea, rather than even bothering with London is there a way to board another conveyance at Heathrow, such as Brit-Rail, and heading off to York, Bath, or somewhere else?<BR><BR>Actually, I’ve been plenty stressed already with the logistics of this trip, seems as though it’s been one thing after another, and this news of the impending strike only serves to add insult to injury. It’s a shame Blair cannot (will not?) do what Ronnie R. did years back with the air traffic controllers (fire the lot of them) or what Clinton did a couple years back with American Airlines when he ordered them back to work.<BR><BR>Of course I know I’m taking this personally, but would appreciate any advice/consolation/suggestions from the gang at Fodor’s.<BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:18 AM
Ellen

What time do you arrive? I've heard that the strike is set to start at noon.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:31 AM
ron

I was in London during a one day strike last April, which ran from 6pm to 6pm the next day. It took about 5 hours for the system to shut down and about 5 hours to become fully operational again. Something to factor into your concerns.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
amy

Buzz,<BR><BR>Yes, it is a nightmare when there is a tube strike here. Two suggestions: You could order a mini-cab in advance-try to call them a couple of days before you arrive. We have use a great guy named Dave. His number is 011.44.7932.569.286. Mini-cabs are cheaper than black cabs because they are typically sedans and less fancy. Shouldn't cost you more than 30 pounds to central London and they have to tell you the price in advance, on the phone. Option two is to take the Heathrow Express train for about 15 pounds to Paddington and take a cab from there. Good luck, and let's hope they call off the strike before it happens! Though as I recall, they did the same strike at exactly the same time last year.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:40 AM
Buzz

Correction...according to the Underground's website...<BR>The strike is scheduled to start at noon on the 26th of March and end at noon on the 28th. I find that I'll be landing at Heathrow at 7 a.m. of the 27th! Doesn't sound like my timing could be much worse (assuming the strike goes on as planned.)<BR><BR>Again, How about this idea, rather than even bothering with London is there a way to board another conveyance at Heathrow, such as Brit-Rail, and heading off to York, Bath, or somewhere else?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
janis

I wouldn't change al your plans because of the strike - just book with a car service or mini cab. But book it soon.<BR><BR>But if you just don't want to go into London -- There are not really good train connections from LHR (except into central London). But you can catch direct coach service to almost anywhere. There are Airport shuttles and speedlink type services to Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, etc., etc.<BR><BR>And at that time of year you don't need to book ahead for your accomodations - so you can head out anywhere by bus.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
Julie

The Airbus goes directly to Russell Square. That might be a simple alterantive. There is information about it on the National Express web site:<BR><BR>http://www.gobycoach.com/<BR><BR>Or maybe you could take the Heathrow Express. You could be crafty and buy your tickets on their web site before you got there. You would still have to take a cab to Russell Square from where the Heathrow Express stops, but it would be an improvement over a cab all the way from the airport.<BR><BR>http://www.heathrowexpress.co.uk/<BR><BR>There is also a bus that goes directly from Heathrow to Oxford, if that was on your itinerary. Hopefully you could put London back on at the end of your trip when the strike is over.<BR><BR>http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/heathrow.html<BR><BR>I'd hate to see you scrap visiting London because of the strike.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>Julie