Reload this Page >

Immigration question

Search

Immigration question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 07:26 AM
jane

Immigration question

If you are an American citizen flying from <BR>US to CDG and then flying same airline (Air <BR>France) to Ireland do you go through French <BR>immigration before flying to Ireland?? TIA

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 08:03 AM
conor

Jane once you are within the European Union you have the freedom to travel from one country to another. Its all part of the single European market- free movement of trade and people through each member state. But as you are not an E.U citizen there maybe some different laws which apply to you. Also Ireland has more strict immigration controls than France. You will have to show your Passport.

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 08:37 AM
Vincent

I think that concretely you stay in the customs area, so you actually don't go into French territory, which means there is no passport check. You must know that there is a difference between "EU" and "Schengen" countries. Most continental EU countries signed an agreement 5 years ago abolishing immigration controls between them : for instance, if you fly from Paris to Barcelona of Berlin, it's like flying into Marseilles : you just take your luggage off the carrousel and go. But flying to the British Isles still requires a passport control.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 06:23 AM
Brian in Atlanta

This is a very good question as Air France will book connecting flights from the US into CDG with only 50 minutes to make your connection. For this reason, I've assumed that you don't have to go through customs at CDG (if it were Miami, you wouldn't have a chance of making that connection!). <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 09:16 AM
Vincent

I think that once again the American habit of checking immigration in the States whatever your final destination is unique to this country. I flew several times from Paris to Hanoi via Bangkok, and never saw the face of a Thai customs officer : you get your border pass at the Thai Airlines office, wait in the transfer lounge, and that's it. Ditto when flying into France from outside Europe with a connecting flight in Frankfurt, Amsterdam or Heathrow.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 09:49 AM
s.fowler

Most international airports have a transit area where you can change planes without actually entering the country. I haven't done this as CGD, but I have done it at Frankfurt, Vienna and Zurich. At Heathrow if you have to change terminals in a flight from the US to Europe you will need to go through security again, but not immigration.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 01:06 PM
busteroh1

i too am flying from u.s. to venice, italy by-way-of cdg on air france. I was told that i will go through immigration at cdg. i will transfer from one airfrance terminal to another but never leave the bldg.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 01:29 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I'm flying to Florence tomorrow via CDG, so I'll report back when I return.