Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm not smart enough to figure out the trip from Luzern to Bellagio...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! Have tried the Swiss train site, but if you don't know where you're going, you can't type in the name of a station! I tried the PDF of the Swiss trains, but I got lost in it. At least I figured out my inter-Italy connections already

From my guidebook map I think I need a train from Luzern to Lugano? Then take the bus over to Mennagio, then ferry to Bellagio. If we did go into Mennagio - is there luggage storage so we could spend a few hours wandering there?

I also saw a train option to Milan - wouldn't that be out of the way? Or perhaps it is a direct line so it is more efficient?

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM

The simplest way, IMHO, is taking the Luzern train (the Milan bound traind) to Como San Giovanni, getting off there, then taking a short ride down to the ferry docks and catching the fast ferry to Bellagio. There are numerous cafes around the square next to the ferry docks so if you miss one ferry, you can enjoy an ice cream or drink while you wait for the next.
The Lugano option, while certainly doable, is a little more complicated (at least to me). The bus stop is not close to the Lugano train station--you would have to take a longer taxi ride, then wait for the bus, and then catch a ferry.
If you wanted to explore Como for a bit (assuming you have time between ferries), you could leave your luggage with whoever is tending the bar at the Como San Giovanni train station. Last year the charge was 3 or 3.5 euros per piece; should be about the same this year.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:12 AM

There are also direct buses Como S Giovanni train station to Bellagio - cheaper and quicker than boat route, which is far more fun and exciting however.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

You guys are fantastic! I had just looked at the Bellagio->bus/ferry route for the trip out - didn't even think to check trains into there from Lucern.

If you're still following - how would you head from Bellagio to Milan for the train to Florence. Would a private car be at all cost effective since there are 4 of us?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:26 AM

TP - The easiest route Bellagio-Milan is to catch the ferry from Bellagio across to Varenna - from where you can catch a train direct to Milano Centrale.

You can find Bellagio-Varenna ferry times on:

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/itali...indicecomo.htm

For train times from Varenna go to:

www.trenitalia.com

The railway station at Varenna is a 10 mins walk (- or a brief taxi ride) from the dock.

'Would a private car be at all cost effective since there are 4 of us?'

No.

The ferry fare is € 2.80 pp.
Varenna-Milan by train is less than € 3.

A taxi to Milan would probably cost you about € 150

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. The railway station at Varenna is unmanned - so it's advisable to book your Varenna-Florence tickets in advance.
You can do this in Bellagio.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 02:56 AM

If you are hauling a lot of luggage be aware that the train station is an uphill walk from the ferry docks in Varenna. Taxis don't necessarily meet the ferries but if you need a taxi to get you to the station ask the folks in the ferry ticket booth who will call one for you.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all... a roll on suitcase each should be it for luggage, and although I had read the station is unmanned in Varenna - I would have forgotten. Thanks for the cost estimates as well Steve.

Exactly 60 days from today I'll be arriving in Bellagio! Trav