Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm Getting Worried: Any Info on When Airfares Will Start Down?

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 02:58 AM
Marty

I am going to London with 9 other people (including 4 pre-teens)in late September. I've gone in spring and summer, but never fall. Can anyone who has been in September give me an idea of when I can start to see the fares go down some? Charlotte to London is still over $600.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Ed

September is still peak season for transatlantic travel. You shouldn't expect fares to go down for seasonal reasons.

If the economy or world events show the airlines they need to stimulate traffic you might see fares going lower, but not because of seasonality. Peak season runs well into October now, for most airlines and most routes.

twenj

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Jake

I saw an ad yesterday in the Raleigh News & Observer for USAir advertising amazingly low rates for now through March. Some people are nervous about traveling USAir because of $ and management problems. But that suggests to me that the rates over all may be on their way down.

I'd keep checking the websites for the airlines -- and be creative: you might consider leaving from somewhere other than CLT (RDU? Richmond, even DC) for a low price, but you have to stay alert.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Don

Ah, the advantages of homeschooling!

I just checked http://www.usairways.com and found roundtrips at $403 total with tax included from September 15. Ticket must be issued by August 16 (hurry!).

I recommend USAirways for the nonstop flight. They use an Airbus 330 with good passenger room and individual seatback entertainment and video games--which the kiddies will probably enjoy on a long flight. BA also have a nonstop flight between CLT and LGW, but with less room and no indi TVs (and $183 more).

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:36 AM
sandyc

hi marty,

i am going in october with 4 other people. you mentioned charlotte so i am assuming you are talking about nc area? we found tickets thru american airlines for $460 total roundtrip includes taxes non stop to london from raleigh nc at www.aa.com.

american has at least 1 flight leaving raleigh nonstop daily and return. flight number 174/173. i just checked ww.aa.com online and for a flight leaving rdu to lgw on say nov 8 between 6-8pm returning the next thur 10-2pm can be found for $449 roundtrip including taxes.

the problem here is you are booking less than 60 days in advance. that same flight we found in oct is now showing at over $750. i checked sept for you and that same flight is now showing at over $750.

you might find a us air special out of charlotte but in less than 30 days i just dont know.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Christina

For destinations I check in Europe, air fares go down immediately after Labor Day. I've checked within past 3 months and that was the case for cities I examined (like Paris). I agree your problem may be that you are now too close to departure to get one of the best fares, you should have booked a while ago, probably. Some people think the longer you wait, the cheaper the fare, but that isn't usually true on popular routes, the very cheapest discount seats sell out first, and then even when you are within the APEX period, you will pay more. I've seen cheap fares to Paris advertised by French Experience out of NY (check out Frommers newsletter for info), but they are charters.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Betty

Perhaps this site would help.
http://www.autoeurope.com/includes/s...s/fall-air.cfm

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 11:09 AM
desiree

Marty, I really wanted to go to London for Labor Day week and searched for fares everywhere and was almost on the verge of giving up since the fares were scary. And then I decided to try Priceline. Granted I took a chance since I did not know which airline I would be flying and when I would be leaving(I did specify just 1 connection), I got round-trip tickets for my husband and I for $350 each flying out of Raleigh to Toronto and then to London on Air Canada. The timings are right too.
Hope this helps,
Desiree.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:38 PM
elvira

Try hotwire.com

Also, check the websites for the airlines that fly Charlotte>London. Etickets and web purchases often have deep discounts not offered through travel agents or Expedia-type sites, only on the airline site.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Christina

I just read in the paper today that several airlines announced good sale fares for Fall travel, although most were from Nov. on, as usual. However, it said that American airlines is now having a sale to European cities for travel after Labor Day, so maybe you could go check on that right away (if they fly to London, I don't know).

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 12:50 PM
marty

Thanks for all of the advice. I have found in the past that you do not always have to start 60 days out, and I did this time. September travel is new to me. Although, I go to Europe at least 3 times a year, it usually in November, March, or summer. Since we are not homeschoolers, we are looking to inexpensively with this many children and only miss a 2 or 3 days of school which will be excused for educational travel. I thought waiting until the last week in September would do it, but I have looking since late July. With such a short trip, we really wanted direct, and that is why we chose Charlotte over Raleigh, even though we do use Raleigh as much as Charlotte. I have had directs from Charlotte for as low as $441 and directs from Raleigh for $350. I have found some low fares, but when I call the airlines, they say I must get them from the internet. How do you get those fares that are posted on Expedia on Fare Compare? It just takes you straight to the airlines, and those particular fares never show up! I have used Priceline, but when I was planning a little longer trip and did not mind a layover. We did the Air Canada flight to Paris with an 8 hour layover in Toronto. That was great; we got to see two cities, but that would not be a good option for us this time. Thanks again; I'll keep looking--frantically!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Diane

You could try the Orbitzer (or what ever it's called?) that links from Fodors...it might help. But if the low fares are gone (they usually are limited to a certain number of seats) they are pretty much gone. Seems to me purchasing 10 tickets would get you a group discount of some sort. I downloaded a little program called SideStep that runs along the left side of my screen and checks lowest fares at about 18 different airlines, then links you to the site where it is offered. Could it be if you put in that you need 4 tickets, you'll get the low fare, then another 4, then 2? If you could at least get some of them at low cost it sure would help. Make sure everyone gets signed up as a frequent flyer on whatever airline you end up with -- thinking ahead to future trips--