Reload this Page >

I'm getting closer!

Search

I'm getting closer!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Patti Suttle

I'm getting closer!

Yes, I'm getting closer to having our itinerary all done! I am the one taking 8 friends to Ireland, London and Paris next summer (God help me!) Anyway, I am on the last room reservation and that is Dublin. <BR>It's kinda complicated because my husband and I will be leaving our group there for 3 days on their own while we go to Co. Roscommon to visit relatives. So, we want some place where they can get to the city center pretty easily but then when we come back and have to head out to the airport I don't want too much hassel with 10 people (luggage, etc.) getting to the airport. <BR>I have done my homework-believe me-I have studied the B&B's in/around Dublin! And this is what I have come up with:Griffith House in the Drumcondra area. I have not booked it yet-wanted to see if anyone has stayed there or has heard of it? I am thinking of booking it because 1)it has the # of rooms we need, 2)close to airport and city center-bus is near and only 10 min. to city center, <BR>3)the price is right 25pds per person per night. <BR>So, I just wanted to ask if anyone has stayed there etc. before I book it? I have read on this forum that Dublin books up pretty quick so I want to secure all my rooms in advance. <BR>You all have been so helpful to me on planning this trip and I am using all the advice I get. Thanks for your patience-I will tell you all about it when we get back-but its not until June! <BR>Patti

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Sue

Hi, Patti! Do a search on this site for Griffith House (Ireland) and you will find a positive review of the same on the only other posting that shows up (7/20/00) and some info about Ireland, too.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Anne

Patti, <BR>A brave soul you are! Here's a website that might give the group some mobility in the UK: www.citylink.co.uk <BR>Have fun, <BR>Anne

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 09:18 PM
Patti Suttle

Sue and Ann-thanks for the help! The Griffith house it is! This has been so much fun to plan but a challenge as well. I will do a full report when we get back (which won't be until July!) <BR>I will try not to be too much of a pain asking questions but I've sure asked my share... <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Patti

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 11:59 AM
Cathy

Patti, <BR>There is a new bus service to the airport in Dublin run by a company called Aircoach or Airtours and they serve a number of the major hotels in and around the city centre - however it is non-stop to the hotels. Their web site is www.aircoach.ie. <BR> <BR>In addition Drumcondra is on the normal bus route for the Dublin Bus service to the airport and the city centre. Do consider getting the 3 day Bus Pass while you are there. Check out www.cie.ie and the link to the Dublin Bus service <BR> <BR>Have a great time, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 03:28 PM
Linda

We stayed in Drumcondra this summer. We stayed just a few blocks from the Griffith House. Yes, get a 3-day pass on the bus system, even if your not there 3 days it is cheaper than the 85 pence(correct change) each time you hop on or off. You just scan the card and can hop on and off the bus at any points. We would hop on and go into Dublin, about a 10 minute ride. We would go back to the B&B to freshen up and then back to town. Very easy, very cheap. We also used this bus to get to the airport, just make sure you know the times they run. We had some beautiful weather and used our passes to go to Dun Laoghaire for a stroll on the pier and a pint. Enjoy your trip we were there 6/27 to 7/9 and had wonderful weather!

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Patti Suttle

Again-thanks for all the great information. Glad to hear Linda from someone who has stayed there as well. Did the Grittith House look nice? Since I am bringing my friends I am being a bit more picky where we stay. <BR>The web page looks nice for the Griffith house. <BR>Thanks for any info. <BR>Patti

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Linda

I don't remember Griffith House in particular, but the side streets off Upper Drumcondra Road are fairly well kept. We never felt uncomfortable walking back to our b&b, however it isn't a fancy area and I wouldn't look for any Irish flair. However, we, like you, decided to spend the money we saved on entertainment. The bus service was prompt and Dublin is a small enough city that it was easily gotten into by bus. We recommend Fitzsimon's for dinner and music.It is in the Temple Bar area. We had a great evening there. Also, Oliver St. John Gogarty's has music.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Patti Suttle

Linda-thanks! Just what I needed to know! It sounds OK to me-glad its not a "run down" area (esp. since I'm bringing friends!). And, also, thanks for the dinner/music info! We love the music! <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Patti