Reload this Page >

If you were going to Ireland......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Sue

If you were going to Ireland, which time of year would you prefer to go and why. <BR><BR>Thanks...

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:38 AM
steve

I've only been from March 18-29, 2000. I liked it. The weather was fine and it was uncrowded and the airfare over was cheap.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Laoghaire

Hi Sue...Husband and I usually go in May (4 times)...Fewer tourists, weather usually good-yes, a few &quot;soft&quot; days (but who goes to Ireland for the weather?), rhododendrons and fushias are in bloom, BandBs are easier to find, roads less busy, etc. ..We did go in September once, and found we were just as happy for the same reasons as above...(also that is when my O'Leary clan gathers in Inchigeelagh, County Cork!)...Hope this is of some help...Helen

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Ann

September is the best time of year. Best chance for good weather and fewer tourists.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Amy

I second September. I've been during 10 other months, and that was by far my favorite, for the reasons already mentioned, still good weather and few tourists.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:47 AM
bill

September and May for all the reasons mentioned above.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Mina

A lot of locals told me Sept is usually good. <BR><BR>However I had fantastic luck this October when it came to weather! Plus, there were times when I had a beautiful place all to myself. Wonderful!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Brenda

I've been to Ireland in February, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, December. I can honestly say that every month, every season has its charm. My least favorite time to go is during the summer because it is crowded. As someone said, &quot;You don't go to Ireland for the weather.&quot; Truer words have never been spoken. If the weather is bleak, just go to the pub and sit by a fire. Ireland never fails to enchant. <BR><BR>So, my advice is to go when it's most convenient for you, when you can get away and spend the most amount of time there because you won't want to leave and you will be back.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Sue

Thanks everyone for your replies. I usually take my vacations in May &amp; September, but if there was a good reason to go another time, I would. <BR><BR>I'm leaning toward May because I can't wait to go!!!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Tammy

Dear Sue,<BR><BR>You would have more day light in May.<BR><BR>Enjoy<BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:13 AM
mikey

And in May, more flowers are blooming

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Sue

Tammy &amp; Mikie,<BR><BR>Those are wonderful thoughts. I hadn't thought about the spring flowers or the light! <BR><BR>I've read so much about Ireland on this board recently, especially from crazy mina, that I'm very anxious to go!<BR><BR>Any other thoughts????

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Riley

The merry month of May.<BR><BR>Was there a couple of years ago in May..cycled the Dingle Peninsula with good weather...(locals said that's the best time to visit). Good weather also in Galway, Doolin, Belfast, and Dublin.<BR><BR>Used bus and train to get around.<BR><BR>Got in on the St. Pat's Day Parade in Dublin end of May (rescheduled from its traditional March 17th that year because of foot and mouth threat).<BR><BR>A goodly amount of sun. Can't recall any raindrops falling on my head during that 10 day visit.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Sue

Riley,<BR><BR>Thanks for your reply! How fun to be able to celebrate St Patricks Day while in Ireland!!!<BR><BR>May sounds good to me! Thanks again to all for your replies.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:08 AM
barb

We went last New Years and had a blast. The weather was ok - not bitterly cold. The crowds were minimal. The city was decked out from the holidays and we always got a table at any restaurant we wanted. We hit the U2 restaurant at the Clarence and Octagon bar while also going to the oldest pub in Dublin. All the shops at post holiday sales and our hotel room at the FitzWilliam on St Stephan's Green was quite reasonable.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 08:35 PM
David D.

Sue,<BR><BR>I'd opt for August. <BR><BR>The amount of daylight (close to 11:00PM) is a real attraction. <BR><BR>Nights are generally cool, while days can often be warm (similar to fall in New England). <BR><BR>There's the widest range of dining and lodging options, as it's high season.<BR><BR>Finally, August is European holiday season, and Ireland features an interesting mix of tourists from the world over, particularly Brits and Germans.<BR><BR>While tourist spots can be crowded - sometimes overcrowded - the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Rachel

Can't say as I recall very many &quot;warm&quot; days in Ireland! Of course, this is also a place where they consider anything in the 70s to be a heat wave.<BR><BR>I also would opt for September, unless you enjoy being pushed out of lines at tourist attractions by Germans in August. What is it about Germans and cutting in line?<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Brian

What about April folks? That's when we're planning on going, right after our University exams are done, that an okay month? Like someone said, we're not going for the weather... Besides, I live in Ottawa, I think I can handle some rain.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Krista

I wouldn't go back. Just got back yesterday, the weather wasn't bad, a few showers on and briefly during the days but the people were rude, cold and unhelpful. Wasn't worth the money to go. You want a great (and unbelievably cheap) place to party go to Prauge. Can't beat it.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 07:07 AM
bill

Krista:<BR><BR>Are you sure you went to Ireland? ... rude? cold? unhelpful? Like the person who took a 15 mile drive out of there way to show me a place not many people know about? Or the pub owner who sat down and chatted with us, buying us rounds of drinks and finally inviting us back to his house for and unforgettable evening ... Or the guy who runs the Guinnness jazz festival taking us out to an unbelievable dinner just because I wrote and suggested we have a drink together? The are the kindess people I have ever met that have an unbelievable trust in total strangers.<BR><BR>Where in Ireland did you go that you found such rudeness?<BR><BR>Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -