Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice between going to Paris and the French countryside or Paris, Barcelona and Madrid, which would you choose?

Search

If you had the choice between going to Paris and the French countryside or Paris, Barcelona and Madrid, which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Elizabeth

I know that our two choices, the French Countryside or Barcelona/Madrid, are very different and hard to compare, but we need help. We definitely want to go back to Paris for a bit (we have spent a bunch of time there, so we only need 4-5 days). Our fear is that we will end up in a car a lot of our trip if we choose the French countryside. It seems that you really have to drive around most of the regions to see things. <BR><BR>If we just stick to the 3 major cities (Paris, Barcelona and Madrid), we will be able to walk everywhere. We have 17 days to travel and are not against taking flights between cities since they are so quick. <BR><BR>Any comments would really help us out. We leave in 2 weeks, so time is against us. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance!!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:11 PM
StCirq

Seems to me that YOU need to decide if you want country or city. If you opt for the French countryside, you have loads of options, and many that don't necessarily involve being in the car a whole lot (Loire Valley, Normandy, Brittany, Alsace, Champagne.....)<BR><BR>But if you prefer cities, your second option is better - but have you figured in the time to get from city to city as opposed to the time spent in the car in the French countryside? I'd do that before I made my choice.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:46 AM
rtr

you're missing the gem of lyon, especially interestiing for you who have 'been' to paris -- also fits sequentially if you do the loop to spain. nice choices!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Shar

I agree...either you want the busy city life or the quieter country life. For me it would be both Paris and then the countryside. You really see a country when you visit the small towns and villages. Have been to Paris (great city) and rented a car after we left Paris and headed for Giverney, Normandy, and small villages in between LOVE IT. We stayed in some wonderful small B&B and large Chateaus. Would do it again.... Shar

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Paula

About 3 yrs ago flew into Paris and we took the train to Caen, in Normandy, rented a car, stayed in a three story house, drove all over Normandy, the Omaha Beach area, Mont St. Michele, and Hon Fleur, the Loire Valley. I highly recommend driving the countryside because you have the freedom to stop and smell roses you didn't know were there--there are beautiful things you might miss, otherwise. I adored the countryside, got bored with Paris--we spent four or five days there. Go tour the Calvados makers. Yum.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 03:12 PM
julie

Another vote for the ocuntryside. I thin you can overdose on big cities. Plus, al of who live in the US don't live in major cities. So if you want to see the real Europe, head for the smaller towns.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 03:19 PM
carol

If I had the choice? Definitely countryside. I don't really enjoy big cities too much, although I would like to see Barcelona some day because I suspect it has more of a unique character than many other large cities. I visited Madrid about 30 years ago. It was OK, but my LEAST favorite of the cities visited in Spain. Paris is the only very large city that I really like, and I'd be very excited and enthusuastic about visiting the French countryside.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Sandy

Okay, I'm your dissenting vote.My preference would be for Madrid and Barcelona. You CAN walk to everything, see fabulous art and architecture, hear wonderful music, etc. You can always take day trips via train to the countryside if you want. I live in the country, so I like to spend my vacations in the cities!