Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had 4 days in Central Tuscany where would you go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had 4 nights in Tuscany, where would you go?? Bear in mind, I am going to stay in Siena. Also, if you could explain why you picked your certain city that would be great. Since I only have 4 nights, I don't want to run myself ragged but I want to make sure I see the "must not miss" places...

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Will you have a car?
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

We will get a rental car if we need to. We are just trying to figure out which towns are a "must see", so we can determine how long we will need a rental car for...
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 02:10 PM

By bus or car-

San Gimignano- a beautiful hill town with shops, etc. Very crowded during the day though.

Volterra (with a change in Colle Di Val d'Elsa- buy your connecting bus ticket at the newstand in the square where the bus drops you)- a beautiful hill town, with lots of shops. Not as crowded as San Gimignano. Nice views of the surrounding lovely countryside.

Montalcino- Another beautiful hill town with shops and wine. Great views. As I recall, this bus leaves from the train station. Double check to make sure.

By car-

Abbazia San Galgano- not a town, but a nice visit because it is so unique-

http://www.sangalgano.org/ENG/index.htm

Val d'Orcia- home of many beautiful small towns and incredible countryside. My favorite, and I feel the most beautiful area in Tuscany. Get an early start. You'll want to return someday to explore more indepth (at least a week).

All lovely towns-
Castellina in Chianti
Radda in Chianti
Gaiole in Chianti

Crete Senesi- the area just south of Siena. A unique landscape and especially beautiful around sunset-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crete_Senesi

Although visits to towns are wonderful, I feel the true beauty and experience of the area is the countryside. So my recommendation is to plan a drive through the countryside that includes 1-2 towns along the way and a nice lunch. Don't try to see too many destinations in one day. Lunch at a countryside restaurant with a view is a very rewarding experience and should not be missed.

I like the Insight Guide Tuscany guidebook for the area-

http://www.amazon.com/Insight-Guide-.../dp/1585733008
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Zoecat - Wow! Thank you for all of this information. It is awesome! I believe we are 99% certain that we are going to rent a car. Okay, so if you had to narrow down your list to fit into 4 days without running myself ragged, what would you say are the "must sees" out of the lovely list you gave me....
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Hi Jill,
San Gimignano would be lovely to walk around in the late afternoon and then have a very nice (but not expensive)dinner at Le Vecchie Mura in San Gim. For my husband and myself we spent 42 euros one night and 52 euros the next night including wine for a very lovely dinner there.

I agree with zoecat. The drives in Tuscany are a destination in themselves. Pack a picnic lunch and set off, wandering the backroads, stopping wherever looks interesting.

You will absolutely fall in love with Tuscany as many others have.

Michele
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Michele - yes, San Gimignano is definitely on my "must see" list. Thanks for the suggestion for dinner.

I think we are now 100% certain we will want a car in Tuscany. Do you happen to know where the car rental place is in Siena?
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM

JillDavis,
Siena has a Hertz, Avis, and Europcar, all outside the walls but less than a ten euro cab ride.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Henry - thanks so much!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't imagine visiting Tuscany without a car so do plan to rent one.We always use Autoeurope. The posters above have given you the names of many beautiful villages. Just as you liked wandering around Vencie, you can do the same while driving in Tucscany, finding surprises and beauty around every turn in the road. We've picked up and dropped off our rental cars in Florence.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr - what were your favorite towns/villages in Tuscany and why? Thanks for all your help!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM

There is a lovely abbey we went to based on reviews on "Slow Travel" forums when we stayed in Siena.

"The Abbey of Sant'Antimo (Abbazia di Sant'Antimo) is a beautiful Romanesque church, in a picture-perfect setting just south of Montalcino in southern Tuscany"

We got to sit in the abbey and listen to the monks chant...it was great and beautiful scenery.

The highlight of our stay in Tuscany was a hot air balloon ride over Tuscany. It was GREAT!!! A British couple fly it and we met at their home; which is over 900 yr old, and flew from there. We landed in a farmer's field and they gave us a Champagn breakfast (in the field), then they drove us back to their house to get our car. We took movies flying over Tuscany. Once is a lifetime experience.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Sue - oh wow! Thanks for the information on the abby. That hot air balloon ride with the breakfast in the fields sounds lovely. Can you send me the information? How much was it?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, do not neglect Siena itself, and if your interests include catehdrals then Siena's is a lot more than a simple "must see" if for nothing else than those mosaic floors.

As to San Gim...be aware of just how CROWDED the town can get..last time I was there was on a Sunday evening several weeks ago and the place was jammed and that jam-up included souvenir and t-shirt sellers in various tents, the usual roasted nuts sales, etc. Don't get me wrong, the town is in many ways quite interesting and i think it is worth a trip but just be aware.

Frankly, i think you should simply get INTO the rental car one day and cruise slowly through some of the Chianti countryside..you do not NEED some sort of an agenda...just BEING there is productive.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Dukey - yes, I am very excited to navigate through Siena! I am not really big on visiting cathedrals, however your mosaic floors intrigues me. Which church is that in?

Thanks for the heads up on San Gim.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:45 AM

Jill, Which is your primary guide book?
Look at TOP 10 TUSCANY that you can buy at Amazon for less than $10
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

I have the Fodors guidebook that I already bought. I think Dukey is talking about the Duomo....
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM

Jill, the web site is www.ballooningintuscany.com

The cost, I believe, was about $200.00 ea) but it was worth it. We arranged it so it was on our last day in Siena and we stayed in the town close to where they are, Montisi.

He tells you directions from Siena on their web site.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You must see the frescoes in the duomo in San Gimi. They illustrated the stories in the Bible to a largely illiterate population.
As Dukey1 said above, the crowds and tour buses may make your visit less enjoyable than you expect.
You asked what Tuscan towns I like: Castellina in Chianti, Greve, Radda in Chianti,Monteriggioni, Volterra, Pienza, Montalcino, Cortona...and many small villages you'll find while wandering the roads of Tuscany.
I like the Chianti region because it has more greenery and trees, a personal preference, and have stayed there twice.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Happytrvlr - thanks for all the information! Do you happen to remember which place is your favorite winery? I want to go to a winery that also serves lunch and I can sit outside overlooking the rolling countryside in a spectacular setting. A lot of wineries may not serve lunch OR the place where they serve lunch is inside, etc....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -