Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If I'm in the heart of Rome, how do I get to..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parco degli Acquedotti or another place you might suggest where we can see ancient acquaducts?
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM
ira

Hi S,

Have you tried www.mappy.com?

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Pausanias

Take the Archeobus. http://www.romeguide.it/archeobus_ing.htm

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks Ira, but does mappy tell me which bus or train to take? I'm also looking for any other suggestion of similar ruins to see.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 07:59 AM
ira

Hi ST,

No, but it gives walking routes.

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:18 AM

According to this Web site:

http://f_pollett.tripod.com/roma-aq5.htm

>>Not far from Parco degli Acquedotti are the subway stations Lucio Sestio and Giulio Agricola (line A), that provide an easy way back to the central districts.<<
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Pausanias

OK, *don't*take the Archeobus! ;^)

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Pausanias, have you taken the archeobus before? The info on the archeobus is interesting, but w/daily departures only until 4pm (I'm assuming from the first stop), what time does it stop returning to the drop off points?

I don't know about Sandi, but I am also researching this possibility for my own planning, and at this point would probably prefer the metro/bus so I can wander w/o fear of missing the bus.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Pausanias

mcnyc --

Yes I have taken the Archeobus. We used it, at the advice of a Roman friend, to get to the catacombs. We also stopped at the aqueduct. Unfortunately, I do not know when it reaches the last stations at the end of the day. We returned to Rome in the early afternoon -- to have lunch with that Roman friend, as a matter of fact. As I recall, they had a printed schedule. Or of course you could simply ask the driver. At any rate, it is simpler than using the public busses, and cheaper than taking a taxi. I believe it now departs from Termini.

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Pausanias

Here's a link to the Appia Antica park. It has a section on public transit, should you decide to go that way. http://www.parcoappiaantica.org/en/default.asp

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM

This is taken from previous Fodors posts that I've copied and pasted for future reference...

[good information on the Archeobus (whose route includes the Catacombs) and on the #110 line, at www.romavision.it Do a search for Archeobus Rome and there's loads of info. We loved getting out of Rome and going along the Via Appia. It does a loop way out at the aqueduct so you can get on /off. We wished we could have spent a couple of days doing this tour. We had lunch out there at Cecilla Metella, what a treat. They take you out in a 16 seater bus-just about fits!... The Archeobus tour is a 'Stop'n'Go' ride out along the Via Appia Antica starting from Piazza Venezia, with stops at:
Bocca della Verita / Circo Massimo / Caracalla / Porta S Sebastiano/Museo delle Mua / Parco Appia Antica / Caffarella / S. Callisto Catacombs / S Sebastiano Catacombs / Circo Massenzio - Cecilia Metella / S. Urbano / Villa dei Quintili / Casal Rotondo / Appio Claudio Aqueduct / Mura Latine]
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Thank you Pausanias for your experience on the Archeobus. When the bus comes back to Rome will be my deciding factor, although it would be a good deal (for me for the convenience) even if I go one way. Will still need to know how to get back to Rome!!! I have a tendency to lose track of time in Roman ruins.

And thanks TuckH for finding that post and posting it here.

Sandi, sorry for hijacking your thread...
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM

We did not use it ultimately but here is the website to the archeobus itself

http://www.romeguide.it/archeobus_ing.htm

There is nowhere on its posted route that includes Termini Station. It begins at Piazza Venezia. Many of the stops are well known tourist points, including acquaducts.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 05:56 AM

5alive; That website is outdated, Archeobus moved to Termini from Piazza Venezia ~2-3 years ago. And it was still there last May.

In front of Termini is the large Piazza Cinquecento which is just a outdoor bus depot.

On the bus island closest to Termini there is a small bldg, there are 2 booths in this bldg.
1 is for regular bus info and the other is for the Archeobus.
You can also get tickets there for the tourist #110 bus tour and others I believe.

The Archeobus departs and arrives from that bus island.
Sandi & mcnyc; If you have ever read any of my posts you know how much I love Roman ruins.

The Aqueduct Park is a nice visit but not worth more than an hour unless you want to picnic and/or walk thru the fields.

Actually the Archeobus stops there for 10mins which is fine for most people.
If you want to stay longer, the Archeobus returns hourly. It's way out in the fields, so you're not likely to miss it.

The beauty of an aqueduct is from a distance and also getting up close to one of the arches to admire how it was built.

But each arch is *exactly identical* to the next.
And I'm having a hard time wording this to make my point but IMO the only benefit is a nice quiet walk along them vs thinking of them as ruins worth exploring *in detail* in order to find different things (like the Roman Forum, Colosseum, Pompeii, etc). Regards, Walter
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for so much detail. Since wee've been to Rome twice before, I'm trying to find things that I've always wanted to see and are not part of the top 10 tourist destinations necessarily since we've probably already checked those off the list.

I'm open for all suggestions of similar things to see.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Walter, your love of Roman ruins is legendary on these boards, if I do say so myself. Thank you so much for the details on where to catch the bus. Hope it'll be the same for this summer...

And thanks for your tips. I'll be the one walking up to the Aqueduct and trying to find a way to climb it...
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Walter,

I'm sorry if I misled anyone, but I did check the route before I posted and does still say Piazza Venezia, and it does appear to be the bus company's own website. Glad you caught it.

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 09:56 AM

no misleading 5alive...I was a little confused about that too...but thanks to all for the clarification!