Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If I use xe.com to make a deposit into a hotel's account.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do I need to ask the hotel, if they will accept a check in euros? So I guess this really wouldn't be a deposit, it would be a check that gets mailed to them?

If this is not the best way to do this, how should I do this? In the most inexpensive way?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Help!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:34 AM
rex

I never heard of the foreign currency exchange services (as opposed to rate <i><b>info</b></i provided by XE.com before this post, but with a search on &quot;xe&quot;, I see that at least two previous threads from the past few months report some experience with them.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34545302 is the most useful with &quot;TimS&quot; reporting an actual cost of about $2 USD for a 33 GBP (58 USD) transfer. TimS is careful to note the considerable lead time to use this service (same is generally true of PayPal, for comparison sake, though I don't know how PayPal would be compared to XE for this use; PayPal states that they add 2.5% for all currency conversions).

On http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34563819 &quot;jeanm&quot; offers som observations, though it was not based on experience with any <i>completed</i> transactions (at that time); perhaps an update will be forthcoming? I think I might top that thread.

I have always wondered what is/was the business model for XE.com - - for TEN years, they have operated this &quot;good Samaritan&quot; website - - why? Perhaps this is the reason: to build good will, reputaton and name recognition as &quot;the leader&quot; in foreign currency exchange <i><b>info</b></i>. That's a lot of dues to pay to crack into the international banking business. But maybe it's just the way &quot;a few little guys&quot; could crack into a very big boys' game. If they're honest, then I wish them well.

On their own website, they provide links to the &quot;BBB Online Reliability program&quot; - - and it shows that they have been in business for ten years (but only in the BBB database since June 2004); they have a &quot;spotless&quot; record there (but why wouldn't they when all they ever did for 9 and a half years was provide free info!?)

They have six employees. I believe that for a long time eBay (which owns PayPal) only had a small staff, too... eh?

There are numerous other threads here on sending a deposit in other ways. For example, just send a personal check in your own local currency, with a promise to pay cash in euros when you arrive. Many people report success with this. They won't cash your check (unless, perhaps if you are a no-show) as it could easily cost them 20 euros to do so.

If you decide to use XE.com - - please repot back later on how it went.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
rex

topping...
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Rex, for your very detailed response!