Identify Theft from Checked Luggage!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my luggage on my last trip to Italy in May, I put a copy of my passport and my driver's license for ID if my luggage was lost.

I had two bags and put copies in each one, when I unpacked at home I noticed that in one bag the copies were missing.

I just got notice from LAX that someone is using the copies for ID and had signed a note for parking fees at the airport and may be using the copies to make a fake license or ID's for themselves. They had all of my information on the parking promissory note and used another address of mine which was on my luggage and different from my driver's license. This is the only time the two addresses were shown together so I made out a police report and the police suggested that the person thought it was a new address and put that on their fake ID's.

I have contacted the credit bureaus and the DMV but they have informed me that they can't do anything until there is more proof that the person is opening accounts, etc.

Just telling you for caution when you are putting your ID photocopies in your luggage, it had to be an inside person because the luggage was not out of my sight before I checked in and I pulled it off the luggage belt myself on arrival.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:24 PM

seaurchin, I am sorry this happened, please keep us updated on your plight.

I have wondered about this myself when I put copies of my passport in my luggage. I just may not do it anymore.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:33 PM

I can't really see what a person can do with copies of your passport, they certainly can't travel or use it as proof to access your bank accounts. They'd need your credit card details to spend on them. It's pretty useless really!

Next time just put a name/address in them or better still nothing! Nowadays all luggage has barcode stickers places on them (not the big tag, but the little ones) so they can be traced more easily. I never bother putting any I.D. apart from my external luggage label on my cases. If they get lost, yes it will be an huge inconvenience, but at the end of the day I'm insured, and I'll be able to stock up with next season's collections courtesy of my insurer.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Many states use Social Security numbers as driver's license ID numbers. A terrible idea.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The passport has your picture, so they can't use that!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:45 PM

What a bummer, SeaUrchin! I hope that you don't have any further problems.

I typically put info inside my baggage in case it's lost, but I only put my name, frequent flier number, telephone number, and home airport code.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Í don't think SeaUrchin put those copies in the bag in case the bag was lost, I think they were just intended to be backups in case actual passport was lost (it is a good idea to have access to a copy of your passport).

I put my passport copy, with some other info I like to take, folded up into a small baggie and stuff it into the bottom of my carryon. There is also one put away at home. Someone else suggested scanning it and emailing it to yourself.

As to putting identification on or in the luggage, we use our mailbox service not our actual residence, and my work number. We've been carryon only for several trips now, so less of a concern.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:41 PM

SeaUrchin - I am mortified that this has happend to you. In California there is a huge problem with people selling false passports. They could easily use all your data, make a new passport and put any photo on it. Can you report your passport as stolen, have it destroyed and get a new one? I would certainly write a letter to all of your credit cards and bank accounts alerting them of this identity theft. I know that you must feel so violated. As you know I recently had stuff stolen from my luggage as well. I always include a sheet of paper inside my luggage with all destination address info. I have never packed my essential photocopies because I am paranoid. All that stuff stays with me in my carryon. I hope we don't see you soon on one of those Citibank commercials. Best of luck and please keep us informed. Again, I am truely sorry that this happend to you.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I want to top this for others and say that I too am sorry for your plight. Please do keep us informed. One can never be too careful.

- Sharon
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
wow, what an eye-opener, all the books say put a copy of your passport in lugguge.
SeaUrchin, hopefully the copy missing was a mistake and not a theft.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:11 PM

To traelnut--re:the suggestion someone gave you of scanning and emailing the passport info to yourself--my understanding is that no email is secure and that you are never supposed to email credit card or SS#s or other sensitive info. That is why the sites for making hotel reservations, for example, show the little padlock icon to indicate that numbers and other info are encrypted.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Since this material was stolen from your luggage, you should notify LAX and the relevant airline that you are filing a police report. If this was stolen from your checked luggage, it means someone associated with the airline or airport is involved in identity fraud. In addition to the police report I wonder if you should file report (ir at least send a letter to the federal agencies that are doing security for airports.

Include a copy of the police report and the notice from LAX.

Also it is NOT TRUE that the credit agencies can't do anything until financial fraud is perpetrated.
You should write letters to the three credit bureaus, DMV and State Department, and explain that your passport information, address and other possible personal information was stolen from your luggage and removed. Include the police report number and the notice from LAX.

In the letter to the credit bureau, Demand that they place a Fraud Alert prominently, and in large type, on your credit report, and that they state that NO CREDIT is to be issued in your name with out the credit grantor calling you by phone (include the number). Also demand that they not sell or provide your credit report to ANY other parties without you prior permission by telephone or in writing.

Send all this correspondence by certified mail, with a signed return receipt requested.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the good wishes and the good advice, it is a pretty sobering thing to have happen. It is the old cliche' you always think it is going to happen to another person, not yourself.

I have called the credit bureaus and can't get a human being on the phone so I did the automated alert system, but I will try again to get another number where I can get an address and write to them like you suggested.

It will take some more days for the police report to be "typed up" they say, then I will have more ammunition to notify people, etc. I have called the banks and the credit card companies too.

I might have to get a new driver's license number and I will see about my passport. What a pain!

But I have learned my lesson with putting ID in my luggage and it is unnerving to think that it was airport or airline personnel. I will notify them too, thanks for that tip.

To quote Roseanne Roseanna Danna "it is always something....."

Not really, I won't let this get me down! (Will we Calamari!!)
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:21 PM
lyb

How awful SeaUrchin!

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised that something like that has happened. Ever since we are no longer allowed to lock our suitcases, I've said that some dishonest airport and airline employees must be serving themselves. I've been told that there are cameras to watch the employees but I can't believe that there are cameras everywhere the personnel has access to the luggage.

When I came back from Hawaii in March, I had the lovely note in my luggage advising me that they had looked through my luggage. It's a little creepy, but thank goodness everything was still there.

I hope everything works for you and thank you for posting about this. It's a small thing that I think most of us wouldn't think about, but unfortunately, dishonest people do think about those types of things!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:30 PM

I'm sorry this has happened to you and thanks for letting us know. I've put copies of our passports in our luggage too and I guess we were just lucky nothing like this happened.
As for airline workers many have been responsible for theft in the past and now that luggage needs to remain unlocked it's even more tempting.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 11:50 PM

Travel concerns are changing. Maybe nothing should be in the checked luggage that you can't afford to lose or throwaway. Personal information now needs to be on person, perhaps in a travel vest. Relying on reporting to agencies may be a waste of time. I imagine that many of their functions have been 'off-shored' or 'out-sourced'.
Cautious travellers need to be 'zero risk'.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:38 AM

I agree with GSteed!
All my "valuables" including copies of my PP,etc. are in my pocket or in my locked back pack which I carry on all flights.
M
PS The only thing I would regret losing from checked luggage is my Soligen (German)razor, lol!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:50 AM

ugh, how awful!

you may also want to complain to the TSA, they have authority to open and search your bags. did you get a little note stating that they had?

what dirtbags. so much for airline security when you aren't even secure against the airline.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:02 AM
ira

Hi SeaUrchin,

Thanks for the warning.

This link gives the phone numbers for reporting identity theft
http://101-identitytheft.com/fraudalert.htm

They are different from the regular contact numbers.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:19 AM

Sorry about your misfortune, SeaUrchin. We used the new TSA approved locks on our luggage in May for our trip to the UK from Houston. They worked great. I had a note in my suitcase saying that it had been opened by TSA but nothing was missing. BTW, I packed all of my clothes, underwear, etc., in Ziploc baggies so they never actually "touched" anything.

I always take a copy of our passports but I fold them quite small and tuck them inside our toiletries bag or inside of a shoe so they're not out in the open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -