Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for stopover between Provence and Lyon

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Allyson

We're planning to drive from Provence to Beaune, but would like to break up the drive and spend a night at a nice halfway point. Any ideas about where to stay? The guidebooks haven't been helpful at all. Thanks.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Christina

It's not really that far, but I suppose Lyon is a halfway point but you might not want to navigate a city for an overnight. How about staying in that small, medieval town NE of Lyon, Perouges? There are not many hotels there but here's a listing of perhaps the only two (a 4 and 2-star, to suit all budgets):
http://www.gaf.tm.fr/en/france/hotel/rhonealpes/ain/perouges.php

It's probably not right on your route, but only a slight detour, why not do something different. The G7 met there for some reason I don't understand so it must be soothing and conducive to good relations.

Fodor's gave a great review to the 4-star place, the Hostellerie de Vieux Perouges (or something like that) which you can get from here
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187267-d219779-Reviews-Hostellerie_du_Vieux_Perouges-Perouges_Rhone_Alpes.html

The info is online in Fodors under Lyon and the Alps.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Allyson

Thanks for your suggestions Christina. I will grab my map and look for Perouges!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Wayne

From somewhere in central Provence, I think I'd opt for stopping in Aix-les-Bains, which might sound a bit out of the way but is pretty much on a line toward Beaune. Perouges is also quite charming, as already noted, but I like the ambience of Aix a bit better---and the lakefront layout can't be beat.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:34 PM
DebiC

In between Beaune and Avignon, we stayed at Chateau Longsard just outside of Lyon last September. It was not very expensive, around $90 a night. The grounds are wonderful. The rooms were very large and comfortable.The owners were very nice, we felt like we were staying with old friends! We had dinner there and breakfast the next morning. Both were very good. Dinner was extra, I think for about $25pp with all the wine you drink, but breakfast was included. I found it from someone who recommended it here on Fodors. There was a website with pictures www.chateauxandcountry.com
click on the Longsard link from there.
If you have any more questions let me know.
Debi

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Allyson

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions!