Reload this Page >

Ideas for Protecting cameras in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:02 PM
Al

I have read many suggestions on how to help prevent being an easy target against pickpocketing in Europe. <BR> <BR>What are some suggestions for travelers with Cameras and/or Video Camcorders? <BR> <BR>Also, I would be interested in hearing from European travellers regarding how safe they felt using a camcorder in tourist spots (Italy, Spain, & Turkey). <BR> <BR>Al <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:01 PM
Art

Al, I wear my video and 35SLR with the straps across my chest. My other 35mm (with hogh speed film for indoor shots) I wear on my belt in a holster with the strap secured to my belt. Granted, I look like a tourist, but it gives me so many hours/days/weeks/months/etc of pleasure that I'll continue on doing it. I've done it in Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, France etc and have never had a problem. I do remain conscious of my surroundings. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 04:17 AM
Anna

My husband brought his expensive camera and extra lenses on our trip to Turkey. He never felt unsafe using it or that it might be stolen. He never let the camera out of his site and was always aware of his surroundings. We felt safer in Turkey than we have in almost any other country we've been to in Eastern and Western Europe. We did take the usual precautions of stashing our cash, credit cards, and passports in a moneybelt worn under our clothing. I would be especially careful in Italy around major tourist sites, where gypsies will try to distract you to pickpocket you (I'm not sure if they want camcorders and cameras, probably just your cash and credit cards). Don't carry a wallet unless you can lose everything in it and still have a good trip. I haven't been to Spain so I can't comment on that country.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 04:52 AM
Ess

Al, I unwittingly dropped my camera, or it fell out of my bag, in the parking lot at Chambord. I was really annoyed with myself when I went to take pictures, thought I had lost it for good. It wasn't ultra expensive, but it wasn't cheap, a nice little cannon elph. When we got back to the parking lot there it was sitting on the hood of the car. I must have dropped it as we got out of the car, and some nice person put it there. My point is, not everybody is out to pick your pocket, though it's true we were in the country, not the city where you do have to be careful. <BR> <BR>Honestly, we don't bring anything so valuable that we'd be heartbroken if it were lost or difficult to replace. Why spoil your trip? We're happy with snaps, but I can understand why people want to bring their expensive camera equipment to capture the memories. What about theft insurance?

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 01:14 PM
Al

Thanks to all how have replied. <BR> <BR>Anyone else with some ideas or suggestions? <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 01:37 PM
Diane

I use a point-and-shoot Nikon with a zoom. My husband's has lenses. I stick mine in my purse. He uses a small leather camera bag carried on his shoulder. No one has ever "expressed interest" in either. Just avoid places where your pockets might be picked as you are angling to get just the right shot of that mime in front of the crowds of tourists...

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 02:29 PM
lisa

Hi Al, <BR>I’ve visited several crowded European and Asian cities and have had only one pick-pocketing experience (knock on wood). My sister and I were in the Vatican Museum being herded through the jammed hallways into the Sistine Chapel. Everyone was packed in like sardines. By the time we got out and had some room to breathe, my sister realized someone had managed to unzip her daypack, pick her camera out and zip up the bag again without either of us noticing a thing. She was wearing the bag on her back. Luckily, our father had insisted that we bring 2 cameras with us… just in case. I had mine so we didn’t miss a single snapshot. <BR>The moral of the story: you might want to keep a back-up camera (even if it’s the disposable kind) or be prepared to buy one on vacation. And, we learned that it’s always better to carry a small daypack safely tucked under one arm on the side, or sort of half-way in front part of your body (without looking like a paranoid freak) when you’re crammed into a crowded space. <BR>One other helpful thing I noticed about being a tourist--but it may just be a personal quirkiness: I try to make eye contact with people. People usually kinda smile or at least acknowledge my presence so I don’t feel like such a foreigner. When I’m a little more relaxed, I think I tend to blend in just a little more and might not seem like such an obvious target. <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:39 PM
Jim Tardio

I keep mine around my neck. You'd have to cut off my head to steal it. Plus, if you don't have you're camera ready to shoot, you're going to miss many photo opportunities. <BR> <BR>I always feel safe. You'll see so many tourists with cameras that you won't stick out. <BR> <BR>Check out my travel photo website if you're interested in this sort of thing. Go here: http://www.jimtardio.com

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:13 PM
Bob Brown

One friend of mine carries his Leica in a very old, tattered case. Just in case the thief knows what a Leica looks like from 15 yards away, he has a small chain attached to the strap with masking tape. The idea is that it would be tough to cut the chain with a knife and run before he could react whereas it is easy to cut a leather strap and run. The old case is so that the camera looks like a relic and is perceived as not valuable. <BR>If someone threatens him with bodily harm, then we figures he will buy another camera. <BR> <BR>I use an old Minolta that IS a relic. <BR>But, the shutter is accurate and the lens is good. <BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 03:07 PM
Leslie

Put all your other valuables in money belts and wear your camera across your chest, keeping one hand on it. Then just be alert in high tourist areas.