Ideas for new spots to visit in Paris ?

Sep 4th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Ideas for new spots to visit in Paris ?

If there are any Parisians or others that have any ideas for spots to visit in Paris I would appreciate them.
After 1 1/2 months of walking and biking the city, we have got to know the majority of the 1st/5th/6th/7th , and would like ideas of where we might wander next.
All the top sites have been visisted many time before.
Being in no rush is a new experience for me.
Sep 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Canal St. Martin area is quite nice. Happy Travels!
Sep 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Take the train from Saint-Lazare to St Cloud, then walk thru the St Cloud Park, a vast park that was the grounds of an old chateau - whose remains are there as well as some fine fountains - but come for the views of Paris spread out all down below

then walk thru the park to the Sevres Porcelain Factory/Museum and hop the tram back to Paris

or walk on footpaths along the Seine - upstream, passing a cute island with on it a very famous sculpture
Sep 4th, 2008, 07:31 AM

A trip to St Germain en Layeis easy and there is a great museum and gardens there. Try to go on a market day. I think Sundays have the town market.
Sep 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Have you wandered the 3rd, 4th, and 11th. I recommend you try that; lots of good walks, places, parks, etc.
Sep 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I have walked alot of the Canal St Martin, and Also St germain en Layeis, I will try St. Cloud.
Sep 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM

I agree, the Parc St-Cloud is lovely.

How about the Buttes-Chaumont?

Have you been to Belleville? We spent a day there, including a full morning at the Tuesday market, a couple of weeks ago. Fascinating, but read up on it before you go so you know what the various quartiers are all about, particularly the Quartier Chinois and the Quartier Arabe.
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Buttes Chaumont, which i think was made out of old quarries in the 1800s (not sure) yes is an amazing part as well as having an interesting area around it

I have walked from Pere Lachaise Cemetery - also neat if not seen it, to Buttes Chaumont then to nearby La Villette - one of Paris' newer parks but one with lots of nice things in it - the City of Music, Zenith - an old wrought-iron market hall i think (the abbatoirs of paris were here before redevelopment) and many 'follies' whimsical works of art you can climb on, etc. There is also the large City of Science museum and the quaint Canal that runs thru the park

A nice walk is to go along the canal back toward central Paris and Stalingrad - bike path and walkways now along the canal and an area that is becoming rather chic - anyway a nice walk along the old canal
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Edith Piaf museum... not really a museum but a private apartment, curated by a fan. Needs a phone call to set up an appointment.
Sep 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM

I'll also recommend St. Germain-en-Laye, an easy RER trip from town, & well worth an afternoon of exploration. Bercy has also received a lot of press lately, although I have not visited there myself. It may also be something to check out.
Sep 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Promenade Plantée/Viaduc des Arts (Bastille running east)

Try some of the walks at http://www.parisinconnu.com/
I've walked around Batignolles, Belleville and the Buttes Chaumont on those walks.

Also from the top end of the Canal St Martin along the Bassin de la Villette and the Canal de l'Ourcq to the Parc de la Villette, and the Science and Industry Museum.
Sep 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM

The New York Times did an article on hidden gardens of Paris in the travel section 6/29/08. You can read it online. I don't want to copy the URL for you here--I'm afraid of causing the dreaded wide column on Fodor's.
Sep 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM

not sure but think the wide stance problem on Fodor's has been solved.
Sep 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM

I stayed for a week around the Bois de Vincennes and have grown to enjoy the neighborhood.
Sep 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
ira

Hi I,

Have you been to the Parc Monceau and the www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com/en/jacquemart/ ?

There is a nice Saturday market at Pl Breteuil, a not unpleasant residential neighborhood with a nice view of the Eiffel Tower.

" the Castel Beranger. Certainly an interesting building,

We found another Guimard building on rue Fontaine near rue Ribera (now owned by the Education Ministry) and two buildings by Bouissard on Ribera near the Metro stop. Very interesting architecture in this neighborhood".

Auxerre is only 1.30 hr by train.

Have you been to Malmaison?

Auvers-sur-Oise? Don't go on Mon or Tu. It's closed.

Sep 5th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Auvers-sur-Oise is in matter ways to me better than Giverny and i doubt if the village throws up the closed gates on Monday or Tuesday - Ira may be talking about the cheesy Chateau or Auberge Rivoux being closed but these are minor attractions in Auvers to me - it's the dozens of reproductions of Van Gogh and Cezanne and other Impressionists painters who gathered here that are set up exactly where the artists painted them - and most venues are unchanged since they executed them - like the cornfields, the parish church, etc. And i think the graveyard with Van Gogh brothers is open daily

But i actually found the Chateau fun if kitschy - a re-creation of the times of the Impressionists thru special effects - kind of like a Madame Tussauds sans wax - the Auberge Ravoux (sp?) where Van Gogh died after shooting himself is intact and there are blood stains i believe in his small room there.

Commuter trains from Gare du Nord or RER and train via Cergy and Pontoise.

Cergy is also interesting - a planned town that re-creates a typical French town but in a modern style.
Sep 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Excellent info for my upcoming trip!
Sep 5th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Bookmarking
Sep 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Pick up, " City Walks: Paris by Christina Henry de Tessan. It's a box of 50 walking-tour cards with the history of the walking area on one side and a map on the other.

I picked mine up at the Homegoods store for $9.99. They're excellent cards and you can just take out the ones you're interested in and toss them into your purse/bag and off you go. Plus, no need to pull out a huge map as there's a map on the back of each card. Happy Travels!
Sep 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I second the City Walks: Paris cards. The maps are clear and the information interesting. With 50 walks there will be plenty to keep you busy.

Have a great trip.

Jan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO