Reload this Page >

Ideas for Greek Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 06:40 AM
Deb Smith

My fiance & I would like to go to Greece but have never been there. Does anyone have any ideas for where to go, where to stay, things to do!

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 11:02 AM
gary

Don't spend a lot of time in Athens, assuming that's were you're landing. The museum is great as is the Acropolis and Plaka but, to me, it was mostly a big, dirty, noisy city with lots of unattractive concrete buildings. <BR>Head for the islands. Santorini (Thera) is very beautiful as are many others. Buy a good guide book (Lonely Planet, Fodors, etc.) and read about the many island choices. I spent 10 days on Crete, rented a car, and had a blast driving throughtout the island. There are ruins and quaint villages on many islands. Summertime can be crowded and require advance booking. If possible, travel in the Spring or Autumn. I encountered fewer crowds then, the weather is still good and beaches less crowded which always makes a big difference in experiencing a romantic getaway. Enjoy! It's a great place to explore and from my last visit, less expensive than all of Europe.

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 11:28 AM
gwp

Head for the islands! Get a guidebook (or look on this site, I haven't seen a lot of info, but it may well be here) and figure out where you want to go--they have different personalities, depending on what you're looking for. Eg (I went about 5 yrs ago, so it may be a bit different now), Mykonos: lots of shopping, fair amt of nightlife, active gay scene, easy access to Delos--another (now uninhabited) island with amazing ruins; Eos: big college-age party scene; Santorini: amazing views (it's right next to a volcano and has some beautiful cliffs, if I recall correctly) and a black sand (but somewhat rocky) beach; Naxos, Paros: more laid back and rural, w/ charming little towns. Get a car for a few of the islands if you can afford it (be aware that driving stick is the norm): although the bus system on the islands is adequate, you'll get to do scenic drives you'd miss otherwise. And use the guidebooks or other advice to find little pensions, etc to stay in--if you take the ferries from island to island, you'll always be greeted by people with pix, etc of their places, but you're probably better off making plans at least before leaving the previous island! (If you're going all out for really upscale places, you'll probably need to have firm plans; alternatively, a couple I know, also on their honeymoon, travelled the islands for a month, staying for shorter or longer depending on how much they liked the different islands!) Anyway, the islands are totally romantic and a great choice for a honeymoon. You'll fly into Athens, probably--some may disagree, but tour the major sights in a day or so if you must: overall, it's not worth more than that. Other than what's left of the ancient ruins, it's mostly hideous concrete construction from post WWII. Have a great time!

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 03:06 PM
chrissy

hi i went to greece for my honeymoon last may. You are going to love it. skip athens we went to mykonos,santorini and crete. i wouldn't go back to crete even though people on this site recommend it. see the sunset in oia (in santorini) and the volcano Mykonos is a party town.

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 04:39 PM
mike sullivan

Deb....Try this on for a start if it's your first visit. Fly to Athens, take the bus over to the Domestic Terminal or the one you landed at if they have a flight to Rhodes. Use the Yahoo travel capability of the web to find out what flight to take ATH to RHO and it won't cost more than another $65 to $70 per ticket. Line up a rental car that you can drive from the Airport to the old city of Lindos which is on the other side of the island in the middle. Use this web site http://www.greekhotel.com/dodecane/r...smare/home.htm to get a room at the Hotel Lindos Mare. Up until 10 May it will cost you about $78 per nightwith half board. After the 10th if will cost you about $100 per night as the tourist season starts. It's a beautiful hotel/location and after 2-3 days you can drive into the old city of Rhodes and get a room there for a couple of nights. The old city is not to be missed. After that you've got the option of taking a short ferry ride over to Marmaris Turkey wher it's even cheaper and just as friendly, or push off by ferry to one of the islands, or fly back to Athens for a short visit in the city. There are plenty of wonderful places to stay and the subway now takes you from the center of the city to Piraeus where all the ferry boatrs/hydrofoils leave from for the trips to the nearby islands. Try Hydra or Poros. You can't go wrong in Greece. Just don't spend your first night in Athens unless you arrive late. If so, stay in a Hotel in Glyfada or Vouliagmeni near the airport.If you feel you must see the city that night, see your hotel manager and take a bus, or have him call a taxito take you into the city. You must see Athens at night if you visit Greece. Don't forget to visit Lycabetus Hill via the funicular tram for a great veiw of the Acropolis at night. Then try dinner in the Plaka before going back to your hotel and fly to the Islands the next day to arrive while it's still afternoon. <BR>Good luck

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 05:46 PM
Greecelover

Check out the recent hosted forum on Greece on this website. I believe it was last October so the information is still fresh. It had loads of ideas for honeymoons.