Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a three week trip in Croatia :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I’m planning a trip to Croatia with my boyfriend in September. We arrive in Zagreb on the 7th of September and fly back out from Zagreb on the 26th, so roughly three weeks. We’re interested in seeing the cultural sights, beaches, nightlife and nature – we like hiking, biking, swimming and water activities. Starting in Zagreb we would be making our way south over the course of the three weeks, then around the end of the trip, fly from Dubrovnik into Zagreb. Any recommendations? We are particularly interested in doing outdoorsy things, spending time at the beaches and national parks and soaking up Croatia’s beauty, so any tips would be appreciated! Also a final, potentially silly question; the general consensus from books and sites I’ve looked at suggest that the average temperature for the month of September is around 22-25 degrees (*C); is this accurate or is it a little warmer?
Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM

Lake Bled is beautiful, and Plitvice National Park sounds right up your alley. Diocletian's Palace in Split is very interesting. In Dubrovnik, we stayed at the Valamar Lacroma Resort which is just above a beach you can walk down to. You can walk the walls of the Old City in Dubrovnik.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:54 PM

The temperature sounds about right for that time of year. It will probably be cooler around the water.

I'm totally in favor of slow travel but three weeks in Croatia is a lot of time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
kja

> three weeks in Croatia is a lot of time.

I found it difficult to cut my list of destinations in Croatia to just 3 weeks, and I travel hard! It really depends on what you want to see and do.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 12:29 AM

I spent a little over 3 weeks in Croatia in late May and June... highlights for me were Rovinj (gorgeous town, lots of places to perch in the sun) and Hvar Island. I loved Hvar Town, which I believe can be a bit too crowded in July and August but in September that should be subsiding. The town is so picturesque and there are all kinds of places to hang out at the beach. Here's a blog by a fodors member (Mai Tai Tom) that I found very useful, also entertaining, when I was planning my trip:

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com
(You want the Central Europe and Venice part.)

You are going to love Croatia!
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 09:55 AM

I would also recommend Korcula, on of my favorite places in Croatia, along with Rovinj and Dubrovnik.

If you like nature Krka falls is not to far from Sibenik and Split. You could also go over to Lokrum Island from Dubrovnik, it is a haven of peace and quiet in comparison, with beautiful blue green water for swimming but no beaches.