Reload this Page >

Ideas for a family winter vacation in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 10:04 AM
j seiley

Any ideas for a great Christmas-time family vacation this December to Europe? Somewhere with snow and lights and fun things to do with three small children. <BR> <BR>We have been looking into Scandinavia or the Alps but there is so much info out there, we just can't tell where would be the best place to go.

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 10:47 AM
mrs.claus

Finland does have the Santa Claus Village up in Lapland; I'm sure they do a bang-up job with children and celebrating, but I'm not sure how much else there is to do up on the Arctic Circle, and not all small children adjust well to very different cultures. Having to eat unusual foods can be traumatic enough; having to do it on Christmas may be unbearable for a young child. With that in mind, what about England? The chances of snow are less, but the English invented most of the traditions we use in the States, and those little towns are gorgeous in the holiday season (more so than London). I think Bath, for instance, goes all out, but I haven't actually been there during the holidays.

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 06:38 PM
Anna

My family had a wonderful Christmas in Innsbruck, Austria a few years ago. We particularly enjoyed all the wonderful music concerts, winter sports, and the Christmas markets. Of course, the scenery is spectacular! Just be sure to go before Christmas, as throngs of skiers will descend right after, and everything loses all its pre-Christmas charm.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 10:46 AM
Mike

Three words.. ski, ski, ski!!!! <BR> <BR>I am not sure now old your children are, but if they are over 5 or 6, a ski vacation may be perfect. There are lots of very capable ski schools aimed at youngsters which mix ski instruction with other fun things such as sledding. There are also programs which provide daycare (both indoor and outdoor activities depending on which resort you choose. Ski vacations in Europe are very reasonable and there are lots of specials available. <BR> <BR>However, depending on how close to Christmas you choose to go, ski resorts may be crowded. The week between Christmas and New Year's is peak season, so everything is expensive and crowded. <BR> <BR>Also, you will need to be aware that many of the major towns (Paris, London, Berlin, etc.)are already fully booked for the Millenium celebrations. <BR> <BR>Good Luck!

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 04:43 AM
Cath

An ideallic place to stay is the French Alps, Megeve is one of the oldest skiing resorts in the Alps and very pretty. <BR> <BR>I know of one company who goes there, email [email protected]

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 08:36 AM
JoAnn

Club Med has ski villages in France, Italy, and Switzerland. I understand they have all inclusive packages and programs from infants to teenagers. They're web sight is www.clubmed.com

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 11:31 AM
MJ Murphy

I 2nd Catherine's Megeve idea. But I'm biased as my lady's sister and her husband own an Inn/Restaurant in (well just outside) Megeve. Megeve does a very tasteful and beautiful Christmas with carols, sleigh rides, lights, etc.! <BR>There's plenty of info about Megeve on the net. If you want private email me and we'll ask any questions you might have during our weekly call there. <BR>