Reload this Page >

Ideas for 2 days in Iceland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Linda

Any ideas as to what to do and see while in Iceland for two days.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Jen

I'll preface this by saying I don't EVER take bus tours - my husband and I are quite comfortable driving ourselves everywhere...in most every country/continent we've visited.<BR><BR>However, depending on the time of year you are in Iceland, you want to take a bus tour. We went in the winter, and I wouldn't want to drive myself. In the summer - it's probably a toss up whether to drive or bus...but the itineraries should be similar.<BR><BR>So - Take a tour of the 'golden circle' - you can sign up for these day trips at your hotel when you get there. Visits some amazing geological sites, Pingvellir Natl Park, Gullfoss (waterfall - amazing), Geysir (the original). <BR><BR>Take a trip to the Blue Lagoon on your way to the airport on your last day (they have tours that drop you at the airport at the end of the day).<BR><BR>Walk around Reykjavik - only takes 1/2 day...it's tiny.<BR><BR>At night - dinner at great restaurants (Apotek for one), and enjoy the club scene (no matter what age you are!). You won't sleep much, but it's worth it!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Pete

Hi,<BR>My wife and I spent 3 days in Iceland on the way to Europe. We rented a car.<BR>(Expensive!!!) I think $105.00 per day for a two-door. You don't need a 4x4.<BR>Do the Golden Circle. You'll get a great overview. Homes & schools both rent clean rooms (zimmers)along the way if hotels are too expensive. Stop and hike often. Waterfalls are everywhere and worth the effort. With a bus tour you'll miss most of those. Blue Lagoon is a must do. <BR>Also a very interesting outdoor sculpture park near the big church.<BR>Check that out! <BR>Pete

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Debbie

Linda-We just returned from Iceland-it's a breathtakingly beautiful country. You didn't mention where in Iceland you're visiting, so I'm assuming it's the capital city of Reyjkavik. When you land at the airport, your first impression of the country might be something like you've landed on the moon. As previously mentioned, I would strongly recommend taking the Golden Circle tour-it takes about 8 hrs and is quite comprehensive. We used Reykjavik Excursions and were quite pleased with that tour, along with the 2-hr city tour we took on the morning of our departure. It's a pollution free city, and the drinking water was the best I've ever tasted. Very clean and pure.<BR><BR>Iceland is EXPENSIVE as they have a 24.5% VAT on everything, however, if you spend a minimum of 4000 ISK in one store, you qualify for a tax refund, which you get at the airport when departing. You can get either cash or have the amount you qualify for credited to your charge card. <BR><BR>If you visit during the summer months, it will never really get dark outside. Take a walk in Reykjavik late in the evening, and you'll find lots of activity going on! Was surprised by the number of bookstores in such a small city as Reykjavik.<BR><BR>We ate at both the Hard Rock Cafe (located in Kringlan mall), and Italia, a great, small Italian place in downtown Reykjavik.<BR><BR>Language shouldn'g be a problem as Icelanders are fluent in English. Good thing-as Icelandic looks very difficult to learn !<BR><BR>E-mail privately if you wish and ENJOY!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Bob & Joyce

My wife and I wiil be visitnng<BR>Iceland for 9 days in August. <BR>Have reserved a car, and will be<BR>driving around the island ;and<BR>for 5 of those days, will be <BR>over-nighting in farmhouses.<BR>Linda, do you have any suggestions.. Thank U ,Bob & Joyce.