Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for 2-3 days between Keswick and Edinburgh?

May 23rd, 2001, 11:34 AM
christy

I'm planning first trip to England & Scotland for myself and 13-year old. So far we're planning on Bath for 2 days, then renting a car for the Coswold for 3 days, returning the car and taking the train to Keswick 3 days. My problem is how best to spend 2-3 days between leaving Keswick and checking into Edinburgh. I've thought about taking the train to Oban, day trip to Iona, then train or car to Edinburgh, but I think I'm trying to cover to much in too little time. Another idea I had was to take the train from Keswick to Glasgow/Dumbarten/Helensburgh area, renting a car and driving to a Loch (maybe Loch Lomond) for 1-2 nights then driving to Edinburgh and turning in the car at the airport before we check in our B & B. I want us to see alot but not overdo it. Any feedback on proposed routes, B&B's would be greatly appreciated. Our interests are castles, nature, history, celtic music and culture.

Thank you.

Christy

May 23rd, 2001, 12:37 PM
Roger

Going to Keswick,Norfolk or Keswick,Cumbria? It could make a differance as they are a bit apart.

May 23rd, 2001, 04:45 PM
Linda

If Keswick Cumbria I have a different suggestion for your 2-3 days. How about driving across North Yorkshire to the eastern side of England? The Yorkshire Dales are beautiful (even if they are still closed off because of F&M). There are a number of places to see along the way. At the "end of the road", you might want to stay in Whitby, a delightful fishing village. There is a beach, a beautiful abbey, and it's the place where Capt Cook left from for his trips west. Really interesting. I love it there, especially getting up early and watching the fishing boats come in.

May 23rd, 2001, 06:59 PM
Christy

Roger, Keswick, Cumbria is what I was planning. We really wanted to try and see at least a bit of Scotland, and we have reservations in Edinburgh for 3 nights, then plan to go to Durham (by train) for one 1 night and continue on to York by train for 2 nights on our way back to London. Is Whitby accessible by train from Durham?
Thanks,
Christy

May 23rd, 2001, 08:46 PM
Tony

Christy.

You should definitely keep your car and drive from the Cotswolds to Keswick. The Lake District around Keswick is magnificient country for leisurely drives and/or walking, plus lake cruises, but there is very little public transport so a car is virtually essential.
Another small problem is that the trains stopped running to Keswick about 30 years ago, although I expect that there is a connecting bus from the nearest station, which I think is Penrith about 20 miles away.
If you keep you car all the way to Edinburgh, you will hvae lots to see and do around Keswick, and then a good scenic drive from there to Edinburgh if you avoid the motorways (freeways).

May 23rd, 2001, 09:37 PM
John

Linda's idea about heading to the Yorkshire Dales is a good one, another idea would also be to head to the east coast, via Hadrian's Wall, which would probably be of considerable interest to your 13 y.o., then make for Bamburgh and the Holy Isle on the Northumbrian coast. The Holy Isle (Lindisfarne) is a very interesting place, accessible only at low tide, with a great deal of historic and natural interest. Bamburgh, just down the coast a few miles, has one of the most imposing-looking castles in Britain, looming over the soccer pitch with the sea behind. From there (eventually) the A1 along the coast to Edinburgh offers some very nice detours, such as St. Abbs and Eyemouth, North Berwick and Dunbar, lots to see.

May 24th, 2001, 01:34 AM
stu

would recommend train to Glasgow then hire car there. Loch Lomond 40 minutes drive away, could then make Glen Coe (stunning and historic - massacre) about 1 - 1.5 hrs away. Stirling Castle nearby and could also make Oban/Iona from Glen Coe.

May 24th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Roger

You can take the train from Durham to Whitby. It looks like it takes a little less than 3 hours with one transfer. I spent one night in Durham this past March. Very nice town with lots to see. Recommend the Swan and Three Cynets as a good pub. I stayed at the Three Tuns Hotel, not a B&B, as I had been staying at B&B's up until then and wanted a change.