Iconic London hotel

Search

Iconic London hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iconic London hotel

I am planning my 7th trip to London next spring. While on previous trips I have stayed at some very nice hotels (Waldorf Aldwych, Sheraton Park Lane, Abbey Court) as well as some just fine ones, I dont' think I'll be going back many more times so I want the hotel to be part of the experience this time. I've dreamed of staying at Hotel 41 and plan to book 2 nights there. I have 2-3 nights left for another hotel. I could do a very nice 4 star for about $180 - or one of the top hotels for between $350.400/night. Even the Ritz is $350! Does anyone have personal experience at one of these iconic London hotels? I like modern in a hosue but not in a hotel -- I prefer old world, 'palace style' . I have been looking at the Connaught, Claridges, the Ritz, Amersand, Franklin, Mayfair, as well as some in the $180 range like Royal Horseguards and Rebens at the Palace. While I like elegant -= I do not want 'stuffy' where the atmosphere is only for the very rich (which I'm not).

I plan to do some thigns I haven't done - like the British Library Treasure's Room, Portobello Road, will probably hit the V & A and two day trips to York and Canterbury perhaps. I will probably be solo but may invite a friend who hasnt' been there - which means a whirlwind day of the typical tourist sites for her.

The Savoy or Browns have also been a 'dream' but those run into the $450/night range -
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it had to be one . . . and ONLY if you could get a room in the historic main Bldg I'd go for the St Pancras Renaissance. But you probably can't get that for $400 . . . £450 would be more like it. But it is very date-dependent so it might be possible to get a deal.

If you've found a standard room the Royal Horseguards for $180 -- then an upgraded room facing the river should fit in your budget.

I like the locations of The St James's, and Claridges is on my bucket list.

With all the posh hotels -- be really careful. Some of their standard rooms can be very small.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Love the Renaissance St pancreas but don't think it's really convenient- I know u get a suite there! Thought I'd explore station and have drink at hotel after visiting the Library which is nearby.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:28 AM

The Renaissance could hardly by more convenient for trains to York and Canterbury - the stations are next door.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM

>> but don't think it's really convenient-<<

Actually it is very convenient since Kings Cross/St Pancras and nearby Euston cover just about every sort of public transit except river boats. Trains, many tube lines, buses, taxis, even canal boats.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:35 AM

Are you surprised the Ritz in LONDON is $350? Does that seem high to you? Because that actually seems LOW.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

No it does not seem high to me. It seems lower than normal. That's why it's a consideration. Hotel prices seem quite 'reasonable' for London comapred to other years - due to the pound situation that is why I decided this was the year to take advantage and go back.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:49 AM

Ritz, Savoy, Claridges, the Dorchester - these are all total classics, landmarks.

If you can stay at one of these and keep within your budget, do so!

I've been lucky enough to stay at all four - though the Savoy was my wedding night 11 years ago, before it's refurb. All four were great. The Ritz is very Louis XIV, I prefer the more art deco Savoy/Claridges/Dorchester.

I've also stayed at the Renaissance St Pancras a couple of times, but you have to get a Chambers room, the cheaper rooms are in a modern annexe which frankly doesn't count. The Chambers rooms are great, and the staircase my favourite staircase of any building anywhere. But the location, whilst great for trains, isn't as gfood for the central London 'sights' as say the Savoy or Claridges.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

I'll be seeing a few west end shows are well
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We routinely stay in the Savoy these days and one reason is we often attend both West End shows and the opera at the ROH.

I'm not exactly sure what "stuffy" means since we have never felt the Savoy was in any way, shape, or form off-putting but maybe that is because since we PAID to stay there we have never felt as if we "didn't belong" there.

I would read ALL if the reviews about Hotel 41 were I you (and yes, we do like Firmdale hotels but my preference would be for the Covent Garden).

Whatever makes you feel good I guess.

Welcome to London as the late, great Ben Haines used to say.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 10:45 AM

I just checked prices for Hotel 41 and the rate I get is about 400 £ a night. I've been staying at Rubens at the Palace for the last few years and while their rates can be influenced by day of the week, the prices I've seen start about $300. If you can get the Ritz for $350, I'd certainly go for it. Any of the hotels you mentioned (Connaught, Claridges etc.) would be fine. They aren't considered the best for nothing.

I'm with Dukey on the topic of " stuffy" hotels. Actually have found that top level hotels treat you better than their lesser counterparts.

BTW, at the booking.com website you can often find luxury hotels for a really great price. You might want to check it out.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I was looking mid March on Expedia - HOtel 41 is $378 if refundable; cheaper if non of course as is most of these. If I could do non refundable I could even get the Savoy for like $313. Most of those mentioned run around $348 - so it's more a question of which is the best atmosphere for me. I like the 'palace atmosphere' of the Ritz but the Savoy seems more 'theatre' - I just always wished I could stay there and have a drink in the American Bar. The Ampersand has a 'science tea' where sweets are shaped like planets and there are chocolate dinosauers - really cute! (of cousre I dont' have to stay there to go to tea)
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 01:38 PM

<i>don't think it's really convenient</i>

Kings Cross / St Pancras is probably the best connected place in London, easy access to four London airports, easy access to trains to the Midlands, North and Scotland, easy access for trains to Brussels and Paris, easy access to 95% of anything you would want to see in London
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 07:47 AM

Stuffy?

Earlier this year, with the kids handed over to my parents until morning I headed into London with Mrs 61 to see Casablanca on the big screen. We made a late decision to stay over in London, and I found a surprisingly good rate at the Dorchester on my smartphone on the train into Town. Click and it was booked.

I checked at the Dorchester in with no luggage wearing jeans with holes in the pockets. I could have been a vagrant - other than my credit card, I suppose!

The lady on reception didn't blink an eye. She was utterly friendly and professional, we were made so welcome, toothbrushes and, erm, essential feminine hygiene products sent up to our room. Service-wise, this was what perfection looks like... The hotel was superb, and we had a blast!
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

I have stayed in a fair number of 5 star hotels throughout the world, and have never felt 'out of place'. (Seat 61 - although I do dress well and have luggage!) I guess what I meant was that I dont' want to be handing out $20 tips or whatever every time someone opens a door for me. Nor do I want to pay $20 for a cup of coffee (although I will pay that and more for a drink at the hotel bar).

The significant difference in price between non refundable and refundable bothers me. With a parent's health issues, it's a bit hard to plan as far ahead as I used to and guarantee I'll be able to go. Of course I get the reason, but.... I always get some kind of trip insurance, even the Expedia 'change once' insurance, but not sure if either of those would deal with a non refundable hotel reservation.

A non refundable deluxe king room at the Savoy is $313. Refundable is $500.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:35 AM

>> I dont' want to be handing out $20 tips or whatever <<

Who does that in London?

First of all - they can't use US$. But if you meant £16 -- that is ridiculous. Small gratuities - perhaps. Massive tips -- you'd look like a goofball.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes of course they don't use us $. It was an analogy. I suppose I really can't go wrong with any of the classic hotels
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 09:24 AM

I assumed you didn't literally mean US$ -- so I converted it to the £16. Who would you be tipping £15 or £16?
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 09:52 AM

Tipping anyone & everyone is simply not required.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM

I have stayed att the ritz and Claridges and liked both. I don't find the location of st pancras above the station or the neighborhood serene or luxurious. My personal favorite is The Stafford where I've stayed since 1966. The Savoy would also be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -