Iceland Ring Road itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate some feedback on our proposed Iceland itinerary.I know there are plenty of posts on this topic and I have spent a good amount of time reading them but seems like every itinerary is a little different and I have no idea what works best so here is my version! We are travelling to Iceland with another family with similarly aged single kids. These are the reservations I have made so far, have not booked the air travel yet.

Arrive Reyjavik 6am on Aug 10th

Aug 10th and 11th - Reykjavik - Rey Apts (Possibly Golden Circle tour on Aug 11th)
Aug 12th - Vik - Vik Icelandair Hotel
Aug 13th - Jokulsarlon - Foss Glacier Lagoon Hotel
Aug 14th - Hofn - Skyjaborg apts
Aug 15th - Egilsstadir Hotel Edda Egilsstadir
Aug 16th - Myvatn - Vogafjos Guesthouse.
Aug 17th - Akureyri - Hotel Nordurland by KeaHotels - Non refundable booking - long story!
Aug 18th - Stykkishólmur- Foss hotel Stykkishólm
Aug 19th - Reyjkavik - Hotel Alda

Depart 5pm on Aug 20th or 21st.

We could add another day (Aug 19th) to western Iceland and arrive back in Reyjkavik on Aug 20th instead for one night if recommended. I know it's going to be hard moving every night but I guess it's better than back tracking. How does the itinerary/hotels sound?

We would love to do more apartments or AirBnb's but we are 7 of us and most of the 3 bedroom apartments seem to have only 1 bathroom. If anyone can suggest any apts/houses with 2/3 baths, would love to hear about them.

Another challenge is the car rental. It is especially hard because we are looking for a 7 passenger van that will hold all our luggage and not cost a fortune! Any recommendations for a van rental agency?

Would really appreciate any input/help that I can get. Planning for more than just my family so I'm extra concerned! Thanks as always, Fodors is always my go-to!
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 06:45 AM

This is virtually the same itinerary we have planned for next September, so I am interested in seeing comments to your post.
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 08:01 AM

You know your own travel style best; we prefer not to have what we call "one night stands".
In September, we spent 24 days in Iceland. The only place we stayed that you listed is the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon, which we didn't like at all. The staff were imperious and doubted us until we proved that our complaints were valid.
The room had absolutely no storage for clothing other than hangars, but you may like living out of a suitcase more than we do.
The lighting in the room was very dim--no place to read.
The glass wall in the shower didn't extend far enough, so most of the room got wet whenever we showered.
The restaurant was very expensive, even by Icelandic standards, and the food wasn't good enough to justify the cost.
We definitely prefer apartments to hotels; perhaps you could look for 2 apartments in one building for the 2 families to give you that 2nd bathroom.
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Hi!

I am also planning an upcoming trip to Iceland, a 9-day trip as well,

I am following this site. It might be of interest for you:

http://www.iceland24blog.com/2014/05...d-iceland.html

Regards
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks abram, yes, I too do not particularly enjoy 'one night stands' but given the amount of time we have and what there is to see, this is the best I could come up with. Wow, 24 days makes for a long trip, are your trips usually that length? Did you ever find it too long? Have never been on vacation for more than 10-11 days so don't know what that feels like!!
Thanks for the input on the hotel, would love to hear any suggestions as far as accommodation that you enjoyed, mostly all bookings are refundable.
Thanks for the link FernandoMartin, will take a look. Happy planning!